• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

How is Epiphone achieving these price points? New '59 LPS w/ Burstbuckers for $799

AAA flame maple cap w/ gloss finish
Mahogany body
Gibson Burstbuckers
Vintage wiring with CTS pots
GraphTech nut
Set neck, etc. etc.

Am I the only one that's confused? Fender charges more for their non-US guitars (ie. Vintera series), most of which are inferior products when considering these specs. Is it simply the Qingdao (China) facility that allows for the low price point?

Anyone that comment on the quality and fit+finish of new Epiphones?

radiolab

Lots guitars with the same specs but not the name are priced lower. You’re paying a lot of advertising, and endorsement deals. The more you see a guitar brand in magazines (online or print), the more paid reviewers they got making YouTube clips, the more you’re paying.

Doomrider78

Lots guitars with the same specs but not the name are priced lower. You’re paying a lot of advertising, and endorsement deals. The more you see a guitar brand in magazines (online or print), the more paid reviewers they got making YouTube clips, the more you’re paying.
Such as?

radiolab

i literally found all these in under five minutes. all priced lower than that epiphone. all comparable guitars. will barely see an ad for them.

Doomrider78

i literally found all these in under five minutes. all priced lower than that epiphone. all comparable guitars. will barely see an ad for them.

Most of those aren't even a similar style of guitar so you're not comparing like-with-like. Also, PRS SEs do not have comparable specs to the Epiphone in question: The electrics, pickups, and nut, just to start with.

Jim85IROC

Most of those aren't even a similar style of guitar so you're not comparing like-with-like. Also, PRS SEs do not have comparable specs to the Epiphone in question: The electrics, pickups, and nut, just to start with.
Harley Benton offers a single cut with a set neck, solid maple top (with a veneer over the maple top just like the Epi) with PAF-style alnico pickups for $200. The only thing that the Epi has is better pots. Manufacturing in China and similar places is very inexpensive. The Epi is 4x the cost of the Harley Benton for a few reasons, primarily the markup associated with the retailer (Harley Bentons are sold direct thru Thomann), and better quality control, which results in a higher per-unit costs because of the reject rate and costs associated with inspection.

Doomrider78

Harley Benton offers a single cut with a set neck, solid maple top (with a veneer over the maple top just like the Epi) with PAF-style alnico pickups for $200. The only thing that the Epi has is better pots. Manufacturing in China and similar places is very inexpensive. The Epi is 4x the cost of the Harley Benton for a few reasons, primarily the markup associated with the retailer (Harley Bentons are sold direct thru Thomann), and better quality control, which results in a higher per-unit costs because of the reject rate and costs associated with inspection.
You could say the same about pretty much any brand: Harley Benton being comparatively cheaper is not exclusive to Epiphone.

ablue

Gold Supporting Member
AAA flame maple cap w/ gloss finish
Mahogany body
Gibson Burstbuckers
Vintage wiring with CTS pots
GraphTech nut
Set neck, etc. etc.

Am I the only one that's confused? Fender charges more for their non-US guitars (ie. Vintera series), most of which are inferior products when considering these specs. Is it simply the Qingdao (China) facility that allows for the low price point?

Anyone that comment on the quality and fit+finish of new Epiphones?

It ticks a lot of boxes. So that’s the new Epi headstock. Not a bad deal . Might take some minor fret work. I would gently remove the top finish and do a Stew Mac lemon something.

Name brand guitars (Epiphone is a name brand) charge for the name on the headstock.

Epiphone is a pretty big name. It isn't one of the top 2 but it is more recognizable than hundreds of others.

I bought an Epiphone SG recently and love it.

Great guitars can be had for much less if you are lucky. We are brainwashed into believing Fender, Gibson, etc.. are what you need.

What you need is a tool that can get the job done.

Logos and brand names are usually marketing ploys. Kim Kardashian is a brand. What has she produced?

cygnusx1

I bought my older epi les paul for $400 new. it has grovers, much better than gibsons. it played better than a lot of gibsons, which is a sad fact in and of itself. All I did was upgrade the electronics and pickups. so for about $700 I have a guitar I like, looks nice, plays and sounds amazing. Sure, love to have a Gibson, but as I have gotten older, playability is way more important than name.

Fitzer

Silver Supporting Member
The spec sheets look good, but I think they feel a little cheap in the hand for the price actually. Really cool looking guitars nonetheless. The Epiphone name actually helps them ask $800 for a guitar being built with a similar quality to others in the same factory by “lesser” brands that maybe sell for a few hundred bucks less, in my opinion. And good on them. Cool guitars.

Trending Topics