How is self isolation working for you? More pedals? More practicing?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by brain21, Mar 20, 2020.

1. brain21

brain21 Member

Just curious. For me it seems tje perfect opportunity to get a lot more practicing in and playing with gear. So far, I've been too busy to do either, but the time will come after the weekend.

So what are you guys doing? Anyone buying more gear? Anyone attempting to get rid of gear in favor of cash or toilet paper to prep for the coming months? Taking the opportunity to learn more or practice more?

Billy Van Beck likes this.
  2. Bob T.

Bob T. Member

Working at a bank = no isolation = not nearly enough guitar playing :console

3. mscotts

mscotts What?! Silver Supporting Member

More pizza...

PBGas and derekd like this.
  4. MickeyJi

MickeyJi Member

5. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Member

Finally mastered the bass arrangement on Voodoo Child this arvo & TBH I don't like playing the song. The bass arrangement seems too disjointed.
    next up, another Eb-Standard song

Dannyz likes this.
  6. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

Doing sessions for clients from home. Practicing.
    Having thoughts of, gasp, cleaning my piles of CD’s, books, and other objects of perpetual hoarding.

7. Steadfastly

Steadfastly Member

I have 9 more days of self-isolation after my trip to the USA. Tomorrow, I am going out for a drive and maybe a walk in the woods. I am going a bit stir crazy.

I have been playing my tele a bit more. I think I will set up my multi-fx unit and plug the tele into it and give it a whirl.

Billy Van Beck likes this.
  8. Billy Van Beck

Billy Van Beck Member

Mostly more practicing, and more recording. There are a couple of pedals I've been thinking about, and i get bored enough, I might order them.

9. Shredzilla

Shredzilla Member

Same playing. More (web) surfing, drinking, and sleeping.

10. RockDC

RockDC Member

Bourbon is definitely a staple... I teach in a public school and it has been nuts figuring things out. Tomorrow I plan to dive into curriculum and get that squared away but by mid next week I should be set up pretty nice and ready to rock it out!

11. HesNot

HesNot Supporting Member

Well it's sort of not working out like I expected - I'm still working from home (retirement company lawyer) so ... not a ton of added time but I have cut down on 1.5 hours of commuting. Financial worries mean no new gear but ... I am practicing more!

12. Splinterhead

Splinterhead Member

I routinely practice self isolation as a semi masochistic guitar player...I feel like I've been training for this my entire life:D
    I pretty much work from home (session work, mixing etc) and hopefully will be transferring my students to online lessons.
    These are trying times on many different levels...we'll pull through:dude

13. scotty31

scotty31 Member

ive been deemed non-essential, so it's home quarantine and working from home....so lots more playing.

I've mainly been getting bursts in and focusing primarily on gear.
    Fallen in love with a Mesa Mark 3 Red Stripe i've had for over 2 years and rarely spent the time needed to get to know it properly....its in my top 3 amps now.

wiring up my big board (17 pedals big). i want to do this so im spending less time setting up.

i'll restring the LP and strat and change the strat pickups to some Fat 50s when they arrive this week. And set the strats bridge to floating again.

From this week, it will be heavy on the practice.
    string skipping, fingerpicking and i'll look to add some pace to my playing over time.

PBGas likes this.
  14. Gig Young

Gig Young Vote twice Nov 3!! Gold Supporting Member

I'm on a Stevie Wonder jag

Finally sat down to figure all of Sir Duke.
    The fast instrumental pentatonic part is fun!
    Trying to work on something for guitar for Living in the City and You are the Sunshine of my Life

15. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

I began using a digital rig about a year-and-a-half ago. However I still have many, many regular tube amps which I have been neglecting. So on and off over the last week I've been going through various old amps and playing them again. It's been very loud and very fun!

16. sideman

sideman Member

Thought being homebound would mean alot more playing. The plan was to get deep into "Georgia," learning to play melody and chords at the same time, also putting the chords on a loop to develop stronger solos. None of that has happened! Oddly ample time for the Gear Page.

GenoVox likes this.
  17. RichusRkr

RichusRkr Silver Supporting Member

been practicing a bit more, if I just could stay off of social media, it's been eating WAY too much of my time, I'd get some serious practicing and recording done..

18. Ogre

Ogre Member

More practicing, experimenting & more gratitude for everything. The bluebonnets & Indian paintbrush are blooming in Texas, and it's a cool, damp beautiful day.

19. Machew

Machew Member

More cleaning right now. But I will get to a point when everything is clean and will have nothing to do but pray and practice.

20. PBGas

PBGas Supporting Member

Lots of cleaning, practicing, writing, recording, and learning some new software that I wanted to roll through a while ago. All good. I just wish the stupid weather up here would lighten up a bit.