How is self isolation working for you? More pedals? More practicing?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by brain21, Mar 20, 2020.

1. misterg71

misterg71 The premier Hack Guitarist Silver Supporting Member

Haven’t played in a week. Waiting for the hammer to fall at work. Then I’ll be scrambling to try and pick up a night stock job at one of the essential jobs out there. I’m sure they’ll be all gobbled up by then.

2. Jp2558

Jp2558 Member

Prior to this mess, my practice routine was on an upswing. This past week however I found myself lacking motivation, and even this morning I only played for about 30 minutes. I’m starting to wonder if depression is beginning to sink in.

3. Billy Moss

Billy Moss Member

I write music, lyrics, sing and record.

4. JiveJust

JiveJust Member

When I’m not trying get my wife to chill the F out (I blame her prepper parents for calling her every day, telling her we’re doomed - which we are not) I’m working on different project. Both are close to final mixing.

5. Pidgin English

Pidgin English Member

Little bit of both. I’ve woodshedded more in the last 2 weeks than I think I have in 20 years. Feels good to get some stuff I could never play down.

I’ve gotten 2 new pedals; a Caline Sandstorm and Caline Leon Drive. Very reasonably priced and they both sound really good.

6. wire-n-wood

wire-n-wood Supporting Member

Yes. So far, it's been more acoustic, looping, and more slide.

7. vashondan

vashondan Supporting Member

Somehow the extra time hasn't let to more practice. I want to but I'm guessing I'm a little depressed. Making sure I get something in everyday but it's a lot less than pre you know what

8. chrisjnyc

chrisjnyc Supporting Member

Same here :mad:

9. NicDo

NicDo Member

Wish I could. Depending on the day I'm either working more than ever or staying home to take care of my son and keep him learning.
    Way less time to play than before all of this.

brain21 likes this.
  10. rauchman

rauchman Member

I'm now working from home vs in an office, so my "time" given to my job hasn't really changed. Having said that, the after hours has seen a lot more practicing (and driving my wife crazy with it!). Also wound up doing a really fined tuned setup for each of my electrics...was worth it.

I have a healthy bonus coming in April and have been planning some gear purchases (serious GAS....serious!!!!). I'm holding off on this right due to uncertainty of the near future (and it's really hard due to .....serious GAS!!!).

Last edited: Mar 23, 2020
  11. Jayyj

Jayyj Supporting Member

Still working at the moment but not going out if I don't have to work. I'm writing as much as possible, not a fan of sitting round doing nothing.

[​IMG]

Darkburst likes this.
  12. tone4days

tone4days Member

Writing ...
    I got just about all of the music for one written and about 2/3rds of another
    I've got about half the lyrics for the first swirling and not a syllable for the 2nd.

Fighting the urge to buy an import hollowbody Gretsch-alike w/filtertrons and a bigsby, a Danelectro baritone, and a electric 12 Rick-alike. Can get all 3 for a little over a grand.

But my hours just got cut in half

So ... just writing

Last edited: Mar 23, 2020
  13. Drew66

Drew66 Member

Definitely playing more, gets the stress out.

14. scheffer

scheffer Supporting Member

I have two small children which means that because they have been home with us I have almost zero time to myself. It's frustrating because I badly want to be playing right now and can only snatch small moments on the couch with a guitar unplugged. Like a maniac I did buy two pedals and an amp since this all started a week ago: A Keeley Caverns, an Old Blood noise Visitor along with expression slider and a Suhr Bella non reverb head. The Bella doesn't get here until Monday and I'm very excited about it since it's an amp I've been wanting for the last few years. Haven't had a chance to take the Visitor out of the box yet. The Caverns I have had a chance to mess around with a little bit and I think it's a great pedal - I especially like the modulated reverb...

15. Theorist

Theorist Supporting Member

The school where I take weekly guitar lessons transferred them to the online platform for now, so today I had my first online lesson via Zoom. It was a very nice experience, it worked very well, and despite (or maybe because of) the lack of personal interaction, things seemed more focused, I really liked it!

16. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

Using my Tripplite isolation transformer a lot more.

17. Madsen

Madsen Member

Same noodling on the weekend i did before. Lockdown is kinda uninspiring.

18. ToneDeVille

ToneDeVille Supporting Member

Am using what downtime I have available to get my vegetable garden planted, build another partscaster, clean up my studio, and pull up the linoleum in the laundry room then replace with tile.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
    GA20T likes this.
  19. adolan

adolan Member

I was working on an LP when this whole **** went down. I packed up all my gear, left upstate, and had to re organize my set up and somehow I am just not even interested at all in working on the LP anymore. I bought all this new gear, 4 new Heritage Audio Mic pres, an Audioscape 1176 and idk, just cant seem to get to it, trying to get motivated but idk, this crap just put me off everything.

I just ordered an EV RE-20 mic as I was using my friends and dug it for my vocals and figured I'd start track the vocals and my guitars, but I dont know. I was there for everyone doing their parts but now I am alone with zero motivation to do it all alone, no one to say yay or nay and idk...its not easy to get psyched by yourself...

20. gtr777

gtr777 Supporting Member

Recording and writing more. Watching a lot of video's on mixing and producing and trying yo up my chops