1. During the first week of August 2020, we'll be upgrading the software TGP runs on to the currently available up-to-date version. The software version is a significant upgrade, so there will be some downtime as we do the work under the hood. We've got a team of professionals, including the software development company assisting the process. We've conducted substantial tests using backups of the current forum to ensure a smooth and successful upgrade. We've gone to great lengths on the design of the theme (aka 'skin' or look and feel) of the forum to offer a better user experience for members and visitors. The default theme will be new, yet clearly influenced by the classic TGP look. We will have a dark version of that also easily selectable. Also available will be a "Classic TGP" theme that closely matches the current theme you are accustomed to using with the current software. There is also an easy width adjustment to make it set width or expand to your window width for each theme. As we get closer, I'll update everyone so hopefully, no one will be caught by surprise.
    Dismiss Notice

How is self isolation working for you? More pedals? More practicing?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by brain21, Mar 20, 2020.

1. Blanket Jackson

Blanket Jackson is Tio's favorite Silver Supporting Member

I have 2 songs I am working on "remotely" - one is the guitar parts for a friend's track, and the other is a songwriting collaboration with another friend. The performance one is simple enough (come up with 3 options, cut demos, present them to the friend for final approval), but the songwriting one has me honestly stumped at the moment. I thought I had a bridge section done at the beginning of the week, but then I realized that the melody didn't really work at speed and with the chorus. So, this whole week I have been going over the parts again and again and again. When I am working on that one I do get a tinge of cabin fever, but I know how these things go, and I just keep trying until one note leads to another and ...

2. paulbearer

paulbearer Member

Finished bolting this puppy up last night.
    GFS Paulownia Body, old Warmoth radius neck i had, pickups via the emporium, leftover diy decal (will replace).
    Sounds good! I will eventually pop a SRO-Fat neck on it but in the meantime, it was a good crossword puzzle! Dialed in the setup easily thankfully. These GFS ‘gold foilesque’ single coils have a unique tone... maybe between a lipstick & strat single?

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
  3. MGT

MGT Member

Never thought I'd see someone from Minto here! I spent 22 years in Fredericton (in Halifax now)...only went to Minto for hockey!

Anyway, I'm working remotely and tend to work more because I get into the zone. I don't have the 4 hockey games a week, gym classes, etc so I do have more time to play...but my motivation comes & goes without being able to have regular band rehearsals. Considering connecting with a teacher online so I can get some direction (wish I could focus & play for 8 hours at a time like I did when I was a teenager!).

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
    Steadfastly likes this.
  4. brain21

brain21 Member

I'm kind of in the same boat. Longer hours now that I'm working from home (though I seem to mind it a little less) and I have a sick (not COVID) person to take care of... All work and no play...

NicDo likes this.
  5. NorCal_Val

NorCal_Val Member

Been playing 4-6 hours a day.(not straight through) Working on getting my chops back into shape.
    And, absolutely enjoying the tone I’m getting with the current rig and guitar.(I’ve completely changed everything)

6. Gasp100

Gasp100 Supporting Member

I dumped my current rig (Fender Bassbreaker 15 amp, Strymon Iridium based board with some very choice pedals) in anticipation of the Fractal Audio FM3 (no headphone version). Unbelievably, my name was finally called yesterday and I purchased.
    I've been playing VERY little guitar as my mind is simply distracted on many other things. I also don't normally play much unless I'm heavily inspired to write/record or I'm gigging regularly.
    I am hoping the FM3 will stir me to start playing again in earnest. The few times I have played, it has been cathartic to a certain degree.
    Strange times...

7. Jayyj

Jayyj Supporting Member

Making squelchy things...

Darkburst likes this.
  8. Help!I'maRock!

Help!I'maRock! Member

I'm working from home full time. So no extra playing time. But at least I get to listen to the music I want. Today, it's The Complete Live at the Plugged Nickel.

9. Mikelangelo

Mikelangelo Member

I came to visit my parents and sister's family just before all this; now I'm stuck at my sisters!!! Luckily I had one of my guitars (Gibson Flying V) in her storage Not played much yet, but written bit melodies whilst walking sister's dog and helping my nieces with their homework a bit. But as soon as things get better and start function normally I will head home!!! Missing my wife and dogs

10. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

Been making more joyful noise than usual in the man cave lately mainly with my Rickenbackers, and drained my GAS account with the addition of a ToneMaster Twin Reverb amplifiddle, Simble pedal, Keeley 30ms pedal, and tire kicking a PRS guitfiddle that caught my eye:eek:! Hope the stay at home order doesn't last too long or I'll have to remortgage the house;)!!

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
  11. BigDar

BigDar Member

Can't find my damn slide...I was really looking forward to suck at that today...

12. AllmanFan

AllmanFan Supporting Member

More cleaning, laundry, and general guitar playing. I haven’t been bored enough to practice yet. o_O;)

13. uitar99

uitar99 Member

Work for a bank as well. But now working full time at home. Saving the commute time and making sure I get an hours exercise in a day. Have been spending a bit more time on the weekends...a little slide...attempting to learn a couple more scales...ionian and dorian. I'm a pentatonic box player

14. rumbletone

rumbletone Silver Supporting Member

My wife and I are both working from home, and work is super busy for both of us due to covid19, and our young kids are home from school - so LESS practicing for me!

15. GibsonGeek

GibsonGeek Supporting Member

I made this comment in another thread. After 25ish years of playing and gigging, you’d think I would have learned a thing or two about what’s under the hood.

I really don’t know a thing about all the gear I have played or encountered over the years. So I have a few projects going on at the moment.

Lots of A/B testing of similar pedals, guitar speakers, tubes, mics, etc.

Learning simple wiring/electronics projects. Mod a Crybaby, make a footswitch from scratch, swap pickups & pots, simple troubleshooting...

Learning a bit more about getting around on the fretboard. Some basic theory and whatnot.

And the endless quest to learn computer-based recording. This is my #1 project/goal. It’s going painfully slow, often frustrating.

16. Steve Hotra

Steve Hotra Silver Supporting Member

One pedal that I added before the "stay at home" suggestion.
    A DSM Simplifier.. I had to arrange my pedalboard, with my effects going 4CM. The Simplifier is a nice rehearsal pedal too.
    So I'm still tweaking it, and using my Jazzmaster and Pedal Steel.
    I teach music lessons online, but that's starting to slow down a bit.
    Lots of folks are getting laid off, etc. Music lessons is the first thing people cut back on.

17. Darkburst

Darkburst Supporting Member

I work from home, so this feels normal 5 days a week. Not being able to take the family out on the weekends sucks. But I’ve been pretty productive. Cranked out four new down tempo electronic tracks. Watched two 2 hour long Logic Pro X Master Classes on YouTube. Bought Bias FX 2 since it was on sale. So far I like it better than Helix Native. My buddy repaired some of Pat Smears amps, so I’ve been playing his early 70’s Marshall 1986 50w and the little red Marshall Lead 12 that Kurt played on the last Nirvana tour.

18. GenoVox

GenoVox Member

I wish I had more time to seriously play... my wife and I are both set-up to work full-time from home (which, TBH, I kinda like)

The only plus is... when work gets me aggravated (which is often), I can take 5 minutes and pick up my guitar - always calms me down

19. Scary Uncle G.

Scary Uncle G. Member

Been retired for about three years so day to day not much is different except there’s no place to go. I should be practicing more but balanced against the fear and worry it’s not working that way. I’ve had to strictly limit how much news I watch to avoid the doom and gloom and get my mind in a better place.

20. Average Joe

Average Joe Member

Playing, practicing. Not as much as I thought I would though. Three people being isolated in the same house = a whole heap of family interaction.

Other than that - I doubt my guitars were ever set up this well before. Having the time to do minor tweaks over several days helped me home in on some things