How is the guitar market

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by 52ftbuddha, Jul 17, 2008.

1. 52ftbuddha

52ftbuddha Member

As I indicated in a previous thread I have a Ric that I would like to sell facilitating the purchase of a student grade Classical instrument. This will allow for some study I have wanted to pursue for some time. I look at the economy and imagine selling a niche market guitar will be difficult. Mint and priced fair may help but I see a lot in the emporium sitting for some time. So my question for all are you buying like you used to or are you holding back because of the economy.

thanks
    rob

2. devinb

devinb Member

I've seen some steals lately on eBay, for what that is worth.

3. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

SOFT!! Great for buyers with bucks, weak for sellers who need them.

4. rogue.guineapig

rogue.guineapig Member

just from looking at eBay and some of the deals on here (which are not bad at all)
    and not seeing stuff sell as fast as it might...my guess is the market it a bit soft right now.
    Of course, there's a lot of potential buyers out on vacation, or doing stuff outside rather then bumming around on the interwebs. A lot of folks seem to be using their budget for summer activities rather than guitars, but when the nice whether ends everyone goes back indoors, gets back online and starts GASSING. Maybe not as much as before, but still. That's my crystalball's report.

5. treeofpain

treeofpain Member

Summer is always slow, and the economy is not helping matters at all. Stuff is still selling, but at lower prices, and it might take longer to find the right buyer.

6. XKnight

XKnight Member

Great time to buy, bad time to sell.

7. randy alameda

randy alameda Member

Albuquerque, New Mexico (yes its in the USA)
    Soft as an Egyptian down pillow!
    great if you have some cash!!!!
    !:BluesBros

8. jcj

jcj Member

Depends...I see some things go instantly, and some sit. The low end and high end seem to be okay, a bit soft, but still moving. It's that middle ground that is suffering

9. bbarnard

bbarnard Member

I'd say it is soft. I've got a Tokai 335 Japanese clone for sale that is just an incredible guitar and it is just sitting. It blows 90% of the comparable Gibby's out of the water and it is just sitting.

10. Caretaker

Caretaker Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

There are a few old woog Gibsons here right now that are sitting. One is mine and there is a newer but still old one here too. 400 looks, 2 pm`s.

11. K-Line

K-Line Gold Supporting Member

Soupy, thick and sluggish. Unfortunately for me a buyer's market. I think people are sitting on great guitars and waiting it out.

12. bbarnard

bbarnard Member

I'll trade you a great Tokai 335 for one of your Tele clones.:D

13. Troubleman

Troubleman Silver Supporting Member

+ a billion.... :(

14. mge80

mge80 Member

I was thinking of perhaps selling my highest of the high end guitars I have. One off from a builder who is well known on this board.

But, because no one seems to be spending what money they may have, I have been reluctant to put it out there.

15. Dumo

Dumo Supporting Member

I've been on various guitar forums for about 7 years. Things began slowing down about 2 years ago and came to a grinding halt 6 months ago. I don't buy the summer is always slow theory. I haven't seen so many "gotta make the rent" or "pay down my credit card" or "unemployment sale" posts ever. A couple years a go a good guitar would have half a dozen buyers deep, within hours if not minutes. Now, the same stuff gets bumped and lowered for weeks. Very comparable to the housing market. Yeah, there are pockets of bubble-proof product but mostly things are sitting and prices are being lowered or things are simply being taken off the market like my Lp jr. I decided to just do a few upgrades and keep it. I'm glad I did, sounds and plays so great now. I got it for a steal. In this market, would have had to give it away for song. Yep, things suck and will probably only get worse. We've been in recession for 6 months and will probably be there for 12-18 months longer. People are just trying get a little more liquid. Not a bad thing, just bad for maintaining a healthy G.A.S. habit. :puh

16. minorseventh

minorseventh Member

yesterday I went to my favorite vintage guitar shop and he had more stock than Ive ever seen there.. guitars everywhere, running out of stands. the owner said he threw away a bunch of cases because he needed the room and no one is buying. repairs and lessons are keeping the doors open.

still wouldnt come down on the damn jr thats been keeping me up at night though...:puh

17. Dumo

Dumo Supporting Member

"repairs and lessons are keeping the doors open."

The only positive I can see is I spend more time playing and less time dreaming of the next thing.

18. shawntp

shawntp Member

I am really intrigued by this - I have $$$ and am interested in picking up a 64, 65, or even 66 strat. Ive tried quite a few and really am focusing on getting exposure to play as many as I can and learn as much as I can about spotting authentic/swapped out parts.

I cant let myself jump just yet as I continue to learn and keep an eye on the market.

With that - what does one expect the soft market to bare - If I see a guitar in a vintage shop for 15G and we are in a "soft market" I just dont feel that shops are going to flex too much. I mean - didnt they pay someone 12G or 13G worth of product or cash to get that and are trying to turn a % profit - Id think lots of dealers would just sit on the real jems but I dont know.

I got quotes on a couple 64-65 strats in Chicago about 15% under the tagged price a couple months ago but they were overpriced to begin with IMO - I wonder if those same guitars are still hanging a year from now and I am ready to jump ....how low they would go.

In similar fronts I saw an overpriced refin at Gruhn get its tag lowered 1G in the past few months too.

If the listed prices drop say by 25% - in vintage strats I could be down for one in '09.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2008