How is the PreSonus 25th anniversary 96 Audio Interface?

Hi Everyone,

Right now I play through my pedals in to my amp, but was thinking about starting to get into writing my own original stuff, and recording / tracking it in high quality. I have zero experience using audio interfaces. I just got the PreSonus AudioBox 25th annicersary 96 USB interface. How is this thing? Did I make a good choice?

How would you recommend using the interface for recording, I'm not sure if I want to use the amp sims and plug my guitar in, but I like my fx pedals, some go into the front of the amp, some in the fx loop. I'm thinking can I just plug my guitar into the pedal board, then the pedal board into the interface? Or is there a way to play as I normally would, out through the amp, but have the interface record it into my laptop? If it helps, for my amp, I use a Boss Katana 100w Mk2.

Any good tips getting started writing / recording?

Jess 1971

Silver Supporting Member
I think you would have a far better chance of getting good responses if you instead posted this in the Recording/Live Sound forum.

My experience with a few different Presonus interfaces is that they're generally durable and easy to use, but the preamps are just so-so. That said, unless you're actually planning to record whole songs with it and you're only using it to make demos and tracks for personal use, the Presonus stuff is fine, certainly good for the money. It's decent entry-level recording gear.

If you're looking to record guitar tracks via your pedalboard, the easiest way to do it would be to simply place a mic in front of your amp and have at it. If you want to record directly (silently) without using your amp, you could go to your pedalboard, but then you'd want some sort of amp/cab sim device between your board and your interface (e.g., Strymon Iridium, Line 6 Helix. etc.). Of course, depending on your DAW, you could also just plug straight into the interface and use the onboard amp/cab sims, and effects. Garageband has plenty of onboard plugins, as do many of the other DAWs.

I think you would have a far better chance of getting good responses if you instead posted this in the Recording/Live Sound forum.

My experience with a few different Presonus interfaces is that they're generally durable and easy to use, but the preamps are just so-so. That said, unless you're actually planning to record whole songs with it and you're only using it to make demos and tracks for personal use, the Presonus stuff is fine, certainly good for the money. It's decent entry-level recording gear.

If you're looking to record guitar tracks via your pedalboard, the easiest way to do it would be to simply place a mic in front of your amp and have at it. If you want to record directly (silently) without using your amp, you could go to your pedalboard, but then you'd want some sort of amp/cab sim device between your board and your interface (e.g., Strymon Iridium, Line 6 Helix. etc.). Of course, depending on your DAW, you could also just plug straight into the interface and use the onboard amp/cab sims, and effects. Garageband has plenty of onboard plugins, as do many of the other DAWs.

Thanks for the tip, on where this would have fared better!

I have a Blue Yeti USB Mic I got when I was looking to stream, would that work with the interface? I'm so new to hooking this all up. Honestly, I am looking to record songs with this, the reviews said it would be able to do that.

I don't have a need to play silently, and I own a looper/drum machine on my pedalboard (Boss RC-10r) so I'm thinking for my purposes Mic'ing the amp into the interface is prob my best bet. I just don't know how to set everything up. Basically I like the tone I get out of my amp and pedals with my guitars, I just want that sound to be recorded into my DAW where I can rearrange the parts and mix and all that fun stuff to turn it into recording. My goal is to create my own album.

If you were me, how would you set this thing up, and if you can be as descriptive as possible, I would really appreciate it! I am new to setting up an interface with a DAW, I'm old school...

Thanks in advance!

Based on this guy’s review (and he seems to be very thorough), it has some pretty big issues, including a huge amount of noise.

Jess 1971

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks for the tip, on where this would have fared better!

I have a Blue Yeti USB Mic I got when I was looking to stream, would that work with the interface? I'm so new to hooking this all up. Honestly, I am looking to record songs with this, the reviews said it would be able to do that.

I don't have a need to play silently, and I own a looper/drum machine on my pedalboard (Boss RC-10r) so I'm thinking for my purposes Mic'ing the amp into the interface is prob my best bet. I just don't know how to set everything up. Basically I like the tone I get out of my amp and pedals with my guitars, I just want that sound to be recorded into my DAW where I can rearrange the parts and mix and all that fun stuff to turn it into recording. My goal is to create my own album.

If you were me, how would you set this thing up, and if you can be as descriptive as possible, I would really appreciate it! I am new to setting up an interface with a DAW, I'm old school...

Thanks in advance!
Start here:

Trending Topics

Top Bottom