How is this possibly justifiable? Cable content

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Random Hero, Feb 14, 2012.

1. Random Hero

Random Hero Member

http://www.alessandro-products.com/cables-inst.html

Scroll down to Instrument Pro. 2k for a cable!?

I've been flip-flopping between a Sommer 'The Spirit' and Evidence Audio Lyric HG for a few months and yeah, they do sound different, but it's simply a brightness thing to me really. The Evidence seems to make the tone a bit warmer (dunno about more 'open' as some tend to suggest...) and the Sommer seems brighter. Neither is really better than the other. How can a cable be worth a few grand!?

2. Shovelhead

Shovelhead Member

When someone is willing to buy it.

I'd personally never pay that, but I'll bet they sell a few.

3. plaintopper

plaintopper Member

"Silver is the final word in conductor material, being the most musical metal known."

Well there you have it. If musical metal isn't worth 100 bucks a foot, what is?

4. mark norwine

mark norwine Member

"Silver is the final word in conductor material, being the most musical metal known."

George is right about one thing: Silver *IS* the most electrically-conductive material known to man. That much is true.

But does that make it the "most musical metal"? That's a leap I won't take...

I buy Canare GS-6 and Switchcraft plugs and make my own cables...and nobody has ever walked out on any of my gigs because of it.

Where will the insanity stop?

5. TimSt.L

TimSt.L Member

Does the cable have enough silver in it to justify that large of a price tag?
    I know silver is not a cheap metal, maybe a lot of what your paying for is the material being used instead of just some joker thinking his cables are worth a couple grand a pop.

6. Lublin

Lublin Senior Member

It won't. It only perpetuates.

7. SinglecutGuy

SinglecutGuy Supporting Member

"HI I'll take one of your cables with a side order of a Dumble"

8. Go Cat Go!!

Go Cat Go!! Member

I thought Fadades was the most musical metal.

9. GA20T

GA20T Member

Oh, you bet it's worth it. But it's not gonna pay to use inferior picks, otherwise any difference is lost (weakest link in the chain and all). I prefer these:

[​IMG]
    1933 Saint-Gaudens Gold Double Eagle

10. =JL=

=JL= Member

One of my music projects is sponsored by a HiFi company. I was on their trade stand one day where they were demoing some gear and hadn't finished tidying all the cables.
    Bossman - "Hey, don't tread on those speaker cables, they're worth £16,000!"
    Customer - "No, they COST £16,000, they're WORTH about a hundred."
    I had to turn away so he wouldn't see me laughing...

11. zastruga

zastruga Member

These kinds of things always remind me of the Coat Hanger Test: http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/15412-post28.html

Virtually zero perceptible difference between a Monster cable and a twisted coat hanger.

So no, no it is not justifiable. Even if someone is willing to pay for it, it seems unethical to me. See: Snake Oil.

12. Ruraltom

Ruraltom Member

At least it a 20 footer....

13. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

Somebody swipes your gig bag with a cable and it's worth more than the guitar and amp!?!?

14. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

I don't have time to read all that. But I've tried a bunch of random cables and hell if there wasn't a difference. Sometimes a lot. I was amazed. I remember not liking my monster cable to much. I ended up liking a Peavey cable a lot. They were not all same length and that certainly factors in too.

Remember the George L cables, where you just stick the end on, no soldering? Those had very little bottom end. Chopped it right off. It was astonishing how much difference. A-Bing with anyone and everyone and they all got it right everytime.

15. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

No, that's not right. The test was between the coat hanger WIRE and the Belden cables, not the Monster.

16. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

Psychosomatic. You A-B'ed them. The person is going to want to hear a difference.

You need to do a blind test, not an A-B.

17. Aran

Aran Member

While Alessandro makes good stuff etc there's more than just a little hype on his site.

Not worth $10 a foot let alone $100.

18. billyguitar

billyguitar Member

I've compared George L's to Van den Huls, Aolla Silver and some others. The George Ls did not clip off the low end. As you said, Psychosomatic. I sold the VdH but kept the silver ones even though I couldn't reliably hear any difference, but I gig the George Ls. I love how little room they take up in the bag and they sound great to me. Every now and then one plug in particular gets loose but I tighten it by hand and do the gig.

19. pipedwho

pipedwho Member

The only cable parameter that is significant enough to affect the tone of a typical passive magnetic guitar pickup is the capacitance. Capacitance is constant per unit length of cable plus a small additional amount for each connector. It is possible to make every single one of these cables have exactly the same tonal effect simply by tuning the cable length (assuming the tools are available).

Of course a high capacitance wire might require a super short length (5 foot) to equate to a 15 foot low capacitance cable with 1/3 the capacitance per unit length.

There are of course other (non-tonal) properties of a cable that make it more/less desirable, but they can be described without referring to tone. Ie. rigidity, durability, microphonics, aesthetics, etc.

20. chervokas

chervokas Member

Well, there's no question -- it's both measurable and audible, not psychoacoustic -- that cables of differing capacitances will change the frequency balance of a passive pickup equipped guitar rig -- because the capacitance will tune the resonant frequency of the resonating circuit formed by the pickups, pots and cable; and, in the case of really long runs, because of the low pass filter formed by the output impedance of the guitar and the capacitance of the cable. So it's not really a matter of debate that different guitar cables can result in different tones. But that relates to capacitance, which I think has much more to do with the dielectric material used than the conductor material. There's also no question that silver is the best metal conductor. But resistance isn't really a factor in guitar cable with respect to tone so it's hard to imagine what argument could be made for any benefit silver presents over copper for a guitar cable. In terms of speaker cable, maybe, if you're using really long runs; at least you could try to make that argument.