How is your electric guitar set up?

Laelaps

Specifically, the distance from the string bottoms to the top of the frets at the 12th fret?

I set mine at 4/64 inch as per a DIY book I bought.

But I'm thinking I'd like a little faster/lower action.

thoughts?

XKnight

I like the action high enough that I can dig in when I want to and not have any fret buzz.

mango

I never measure,but I have found I prefer my action higher than a lot of other people judging by the guitars I have played .

Fret buzz makes my teeth itch and I often get a slide out and mess around .

VaughnC

Silver Supporting Member
Never actually measured mine...but each individual guitar told me where it wanted to be set. I like my guitars set to be clean & buzz free...so whatever it takes to achieve that. Same with pickup height...on an individual basis, by ear, with no ruler.

HP Hovercraft

I just go with Fender's suggestions. Works for me.

Bass Side 5/64"(2 mm)
Treble Side 4/64" (1.6 mm)

On a 7.25" radius.

I don't measure. Every guitar is different so I set my action for that specific guitar. Who needs measurements when you're probably going to adjust it differently anyway.

I don't measure it, but I use medium-high action, usually quite a bit higher than my friends guitars. I like it when I have to 'work' a bit. I play a lot so that also helps. If i played less I would probably lower my action because i would have less strength in my fingers and it would feel about the same. Also I pefer the tone and feel of a guitar that's set up a bit higher.

Laelaps

I just go with Fender's suggestions. Works for me.

Bass Side 5/64"(2 mm)
Treble Side 4/64" (1.6 mm)

On a 7.25" radius.
My DIA book actually shows the guy working on a strat.

My strat is set up for slide.

The guitars I'm inquiring about are Gibsons, Les Paul Standard and ES 335.

I wonder if the above measurements would apply as well?

Dale

It depends of the fretwire and the subtle twists of a neck (none are perfect) I like to start with string height at nut, then level the string to fretboard to bridge (bridge height). Then I add relief, then start the string height at the 17th fret at 4/64. I lower if a taller fret and and able to with my pick attack without getting buzz up the fretboard.

Kmaz

Silver Supporting Member
It depends of the fretwire and the subtle twists of a neck (none are perfect) I like to start with string height at nut, then level the string to fretboard to bridge (bridge height). Then I add relief, then start the string height at the 17th fret at 4/64. I lower if a taller fret and and able to with my pick attack without getting buzz up the fretboard.

Capo on 1st fret when measuring string height at 17th?

KWthinline

I don't really measure either.
meduim-high action with .010-.050 strings on Fender style guitars and .011-.050 on Gibsons. Gibsons have stock frets because they are normally jumbo or medium jumbo, while I have Dunlop 6105 size frets on my Teles and Strats except for one Tele.
Little to no relief on any of my guitars...

RLD

Silver Supporting Member
I like it fairly low as too high can make certain chords fret out of tune.
I lower it to where there is slight fret buzz.
This buzz cannot be heard when amplified.

scott520

Silver Supporting Member
As low as possible: .002" relief at the 7th fret, action is 3/64's on the low E @ 12th fret, 1/32-3/64's high E @ 12th fret. My fret work has to be pretty spot on in order for this to happen. I set the action a bit higher for long scale guitars with 25.5" scale length (start/tele) and acoustics.

thegoochie

Set perfectly for my hands and playing style. Low as possible with high gauge strings without buzzing all over the place. The guitar I play slide on has higher action so I can mute and dampen without any issues.

nrandall85

I always shove a 2mm pick under my low e at the 12th fret. If it grabs and holds, I'm usually pretty happy. Have to level and crown and spend some setup time to get there.

Slight rattles or buzzes are fine by me, as long as I'm not fretting out or sounding "plinky" anywhere. Relief is set to as little as possible, and I usually end up shimming the necks on fender guitars a good deal.

Fireball XL5

Silver Supporting Member
I shoot for .004" - .006" of relief and a string height of 4/64" bass 3/64" treble at the 12th fret with my setups.

Trending Topics