How Long Before Digital Amps Take Over?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mbell75, Aug 16, 2019.

1. vintagefox

vintagefox Member

Best post in this entire thread! :rotflmao

StummerJoe likes this.
  2. StummerJoe

StummerJoe Member

Not always. Sometimes it just shows what's cheap.

WBellman, zuel69 and gtrdave like this.
  3. Viper 900

Viper 900 Member

2022 - line6 becomes self aware, launches nukes at Fractal and Kemper.

2024 - line6 sends a model of a jcm800 back to kill Jim Marshall in 1987. Jim makes love to a real JCM800 and creates the annoying TSL100.

It goes on like that for about 20 years.

4. Doode

Doode Member

[​IMG]

My sources from beyond the grave say: In 7 years, two days and five hours.

Oriondk and bobcs71 like this.
  5. Moxsam

Moxsam Member

How long do you expect people to give a sh!t about those authentic tones from those old records or SRV??? Do you expect the youth of the future to be unwilling to compromise on their amp tone for music that means nothing to them?

This is what makes this such a stupid argument. Believing that the iconic amp tones from grandpa and grandma's era are forever and always going to be important to everyone and anyone. Hell the concept of plugging into an amp at all is probably going to be gone relatively soon.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
    chrisjw5 and Arc Anjil like this.
  6. bluetweed

bluetweed Supporting Member

My only problem would be the latency from AD to DA conversion I cannot play a amp with any latency and not have the touch to speaker tone under my fingers. My only amp for the last 5 years has been a Clark Beaufort and it feels like my fingers and Tele are hooked directly to the speakers, just awesome. Unfortunately in dealing with computer programs in my recordings even the smallest latency bothers me.

7. mtb

mtb Member

Plenty of people say that tube amps will gradually die out as the tones they created are no longer popular and a new generation comes along, grown with different sounds.
    I beg to differ: yes, there are new musicians using new sounds, but they are mostly niche as pretty much anything created in this internet generation: thousands of small niches, big enough to survive, but not to stay relevant. Which means that there is a good probability that music from the 50-80ies will remain relevant as there is nothing effectively able to take its place. That era is, if you pardon the pun, the classical music of pop music, the benchmark. And it will stay like that, exactly as it happens within classical music itself- yes, there are new composers and they sometimes use modern instruments, bold arrangements, etc...but in the end, all that people know are Beethoven and Bach, played on those outrageously old and crumbling wooden instruments by a traditional orchestra or ensamble. Why would it be any different with rock music? There was a seminal period and now we have a splintered world of many options all barely afloat.

8. bobcs71

bobcs71 Member

But those classic rock, country & blues tones are what my YamahaTHR does well so I can play Mayer, Isbell, newer indie music...

9. uitar99

uitar99 Member

I'm a boomer tgp'er. Started out with tubes. (when I walked to school uphill both ways-we only had a couple of traynor or Vox options)

15 years ago bought a digital modeller for the pedals. Tired of buying pedals high and selling low.

One day, when that mesa 12 inch combo gets too heavy for jamming with the lads or the few gigs we do, I'll go direct. I will lose the whole ambiance-setting up, feeling that amp coming to life as the tubes get hotter and the night gets longer. I go through the floorboard with no amp or cab sims. I get one sound from either amp channel. But the back won't hurt

Digital works...but they are like all gear...the only people that don't like em are other musicians..."can't find my tone".

Saw the doobie brothers a few years back. One of the guys playing an early line 6 variax (through the line 6 floor of the day.) Sounded awesome.

Like someone else has mentioned, the options we have available today are awesome. Home studio through the Mac I'm typing on...bringing a guitar and digital pedal board to a jam without lugging an amp and having every conceivable sound you want in a small package,

Pick what you like. Don't buy the rest.

Oriondk, MilwMark and fridgit like this.
  10. MilwMark

MilwMark Member

Actually induction wins now in any kitchen that can afford it. Because it's as responsive (more actually), doesn't make the kitchen even hotter than it needs to be, and is way safer.

I was a confirmed gas snob until I tried induction and I would never go back. For the quality of the cooking alone. The ambient heat and safety benefits are just icing.

Good analogy!

5cr33nager likes this.
  11. vintagefox

vintagefox Member

Some great points here. Also, some things that may have been on the verge of extinction tend to come back. Vinyls made a comeback a few years ago and are insanely popular. By using the same kind of logic some of the people in this thread are using, vinyls should be totally dead. After-all, i can store thousands of albums on one flash drive, and double click on a mouse to play those albums without ever having to turn over a record. I don't have to worry about replacing a needle, or hearing pops and scratches in my music. Digital music is convenient, saves space, and is the future...well, isn't it???

For anyone who actually believes that tube amps will die out, and that digital amps will be the death of them, please consider the example i just provided. Also consider that there is no real evidence of tube amps fading out. Slowing down? Yes, absolutely (that's only a natural occurance due to having more options). But dying? Not even close. The rise in popularity of LBX amps cannot be ignored or denied. The MT15 is selling like crazy, and has really shown what kind of quality you can get at such inexpense. It wouldn't surprise me if lbx amps were the future, due to their portability, affordability, and quality. Keep in mind that they are still in their infancy, and continue to get better.

Just something to consider before anyone else pretends to know what the future holds.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
    Oriondk likes this.
  12. BlueRiff

BlueRiff Member

I don't mind his assertion in his own thread - I'm outraged about OP's using Metallica as a case study for digital tone excellence and them having one of the greatest guitarists in history. What?!?! o_O:p

makeitstop likes this.
  13. scott

scott Member

There is a debate raging on the corvette forum about the new C8 not having a manual transmission.
    Some guys just like driving a manual, they don't care how much faster the auto is.
    The auto is faster and taking over, anyone who likes a manual is a relic that won't adapt...bla bla bla. Same **** different subject.
    I like tubes and a manual transmission. In both cases I feel more connected.
    Also, a tube amp and a couple pedals is just easier for me. The simpler the better.

Badtone, BearBryan and vintagefox like this.
  14. vintagefox

vintagefox Member

I love this post.

scott likes this.
  15. chrisjw5

chrisjw5 Member

30 seconds or less.

In the pocket of a guitar case.
    [​IMG]

Man, you guys are defensive of your tubes.

MilwMark likes this.
  16. BearBryan

BearBryan Member

Same. I absolutely get better gas mileage in my Tacoma with a manual transmission, but everybody else is always asking me why I would buy a new truck and get a manual?

scott likes this.
  17. BlueRiff

BlueRiff Member

This just in: Apparently, a civil war has broken out the Solid State camp between digital and analog. I think we all need to pause a bit here until they work that out before proceeding with the tube vs. digital debate. Thank you for your patience - we will provide updates as the situation develops. :p

18. Ejay

Ejay Member

Guess this is a “language” thing, I am no native speaker, and from looking at the scene in my country...session player would mean just that, side man gigs / hired guns / jumping from one 3 month tour to the next...at least in my vocabulary.
    Looking at sessions in clubs..”check your phone book and see who is available for the gig type”...those are mostly amps also. When populated by pro’s...thats “beats a saturdaynight in front of the tele” kind of gigs looking at the pay unfortunately.

Let me reprhase...in my country, all of the top 10 hired guns outside of the clubscene play kempers...I dont know 1 who doesnt.

19. ShreddyKrueger

ShreddyKrueger Member

I would love a digital solution for home playing. Sadly, it doesn't exist. I've used Kemper, Axe, Pod, Katana, Blackstar, THR. Downloaded the best profiles. Used a 2x12 and adjusted settings accordingly. Used a pair of studio monitors. Used FRFR. And it's the same result every time. A lifeless simulation of a tube amp that feels terrible under the fingers. Sure, it sounds good in a recording context, and some of those Youtube clips sound excellent. I've never had that in the room. Your experience may vary, and that's fine by me - if it works for you it's great, and no-one should try and change your mind. But for me it just doesn't happen. I'll stick with tubes. With an occasional UA OX - my home solution for attenuating/simulating cabs.

Alchemist XP, WBellman and vintagefox like this.
  20. spentron

spentron Member

There's so many ways to use tubes, other analog, and digital together, I can't see any one of them completely going away. Even in techno, they might run a digital synth through an analog dirt guitar pedal.

That was interesting for sure, but not what I'm seeing there at all regarding heads, especially if you count hybrids as tube. Maybe it switched you to "Best Match"? Another thing noticeable about amp heads is nothing SS by Marshall or Fender -- Kemper$ are way up there along with pedal sized amps and the Ox, which is of course for using tube amps. With combos, if you limit it to 1x12 configuration to lose a lot of the cheapies, tubes dominate after the top 5 sellers.