how long before you noticed bad fret wear?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by still.ill, May 20, 2008.

1. still.ill

still.ill Member

on your number 1 guitar???

2. teleblaster

teleblaster Member

10 years. I just deal with it. I think mine can be dressed a couple more times. I hate the idea of fret repacement. Ive heard the guitar wont sound the same

3. teleamp

teleamp Senior Member

At the rate that I wear the frets on my guitar, It will be ready for a refret in 5 years. But, it will only need the first 4 frets done, lol.

4. oldrock

oldrock Member

My strat was leveled and crowned once before I got it and I was able to do it once more before I needed to have frets replaced. I think guitars with neck binding are harder to replace frets on than those without the binding.

I found my older strat worked even better when I had frets replaced. A good tech can do wonders.

5. still.ill

still.ill Member

what type of strings do you use??
    and when did the wear seem to start affecting playability?

6. PFCG

PFCG Member

my prs is starting to loose some, i think i might get em re crowned but its about 5 years worth of play on them. i will be going stainless though!

7. still.ill

still.ill Member

to the guys who have it closer to 5 years... what strings do you use?

8. oldrock

oldrock Member

I think it is alot more about how much you bend than anything. I'mm just a rhythm player so don't do alot of solos or hard bends. My frets dont' wear out fast at all. My son does lead guitar and bends hard all the time. He has worn frets out to the point he really needs a fret leveling and crown with 2 years of play time. I have no experience with the stainless fretwire and didn't do that with my strat because I wanted mine to be original fender look and feel.

9. PFCG

PFCG Member

Yeah i think its more because i do mega vibrato and bend constantly.

I abuse the **** out of the frets on my guitars.

I have always used regular D'Addario XLs until recently i started using Dunlop.

My guitars with Stainless Frets are as fresh as flowers. No Fret wear at all.

Ive also get my regular frets recrowned every year, They tend to get flat and it affects tuning.

If i get my PRS recrowned, it will be the last time before they get too low and ill need a refret.

BTW strings wont ruin your frets, its usually the other way around. Unless of course, your Dave Tronzo.

10. teleblaster

teleblaster Member

I use super slinkys 9s.I guess it was about 5 years ago i had the frets crowned / dressed up. the guitar is a 97 CS esquire so iam due again. The stainless have me interested. Its really the first four that have flattened out. It would be cool if they came out with a string that does'nt effect frets. I think frets are the weakest link on any guitar.