How long can you go without changing something on your pedalboard?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by gitpicker, Mar 8, 2006.

1. gitpicker

gitpicker Silver Supporting Member

I have immersed myself in GAS indulgence for about the last 2 years and am hoping that my tax check will end the madness as I acquire the last few pieces to complete the perfect pedalboard. After going through 30-40 different pedals I think I have found my personal Holy-Grails and am rapidly moving toward the light at the end of the tunnel, to the promised land where I can smile down on my less fortunate compatriots who still strive and search....

Or maybe not!!!!:D

My question is this: What is the longest period of time you have gone without changing something on your pedalboard?
    and:
    Does it get any easier with time, or does GAS pressure build until it forces its release in a bank account draining spasm of PayPal overindulgence?

I want to end the madness, I just don't know if it is really possible...

2. Madsman

Madsman Member

Man... that's such a rough thought. :)

I thought I'd done it, several times. Now I KNOW I have the tuner (Strobo) and I KNOW I have the delay (Memory Lane) and I THINK I have the Flanger and Chorus... but I don't think I'll ever stop trying ODs and Boosts and Distortions. Hoping to kill the wah search this week.

I started getting really mad at myself for the amount of pedals I've been buying lately. I need to curtail that activity. :)

3. drolling

drolling Member

Till I started hangin here, I'd go for years on end without changing anything but my strings..
    The only way I could do this is if I did a cold turkey withdrawal from TGP. They'll be changing servers soon. With any luck, the site'll be down for at least a week, during which time I'll be reduced to drooling over magazine ads, but it's just not the same..

4. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

I didn't change anything for nearly five years. Then I decided to embark on the quest to find a pedal I liked better than the '99 Fulldrive and that just opened the floodgates!

5. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

It seems pretty good for me, the pedal GAS has totally disappeared! It's funny, it goes away as suddenly as it strikes.. My pedalboard is short of Timmy, which should be here this week. Then I plan to do nothing for a year atleast. When I got the Eternity and EGDM the GAS for pedals just went away.

If I get some money and/or a good job, I might do some further investing, like get on the Echoczar list and buy a Klon just to check it out, but those are really not my priority at the moment. I'm GASsing for guitars and new clothes right now :)

6. drolling

drolling Member

Please don't tell me that those 4 guitars in your sig are the ONLY ones you own...

I'm lucky - I've got about a hundred genuine vintage hawiian aloha shirts.. so I'm good..

...but it's around 20 degrees below zero out here...

7. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Heh...personal best is about three weeks. Happened once.

It's not that I am buying new pedals that often, but I bought enough that I keep trying different combinations. It may be too (and I am trying this, this week) that my pedal board has just one or two slots too many. That I ought to leave a few blank spaces instead of filling them and then not using the pedals there at practice (at home I do...I use the whole pedalbaord).

The biggest drag is...I went over to George L cables, and often I have to resize them. So I end up having a good deal of small bits of useless cable around. I realized (slow learner) that I could for my purposes, use my "normal" not as good cables just until I settle on one. Then cable it up with George L's.

8. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

I have had the Fulltone Clyde Wah since 1997.

I was using the Fulltone Choralflange back in 1999.

I've had a Tim and then a Timmy for at least a few years.

Tuner? Strobostomp is *it*.

Loooper? Years now.

Clean boost? RC Boost... two years now.

Settled on most other pedals too; simply comes down to the gig.

That said, I tend to have a whole store full of OD/Distortion boxes that I love sort of "adding up"; I mix and match to flavor.

9. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

Since I really built my pedalboard last year (starting in March or so), I'm a bad entry... but I'm settled on the board, just have to get it dialed in a bit more on the DLS RotoSim. Sometimes I try to reorganize it, but I need to get some longer cables to do that effectively. So outside of where something sits on the board, I'm happy with it.

10. Roe

Roe Member

dl4 & mm4: 5 years
    fd2, dist pro, clyde, roger mayer octavia: 3 years

11. ASATClassic

ASATClassic Member

This spring, it'll be my one year anniversary with no changes.

12. michael patrick

michael patrick Supporting Member

13. Marty s Horne

Marty s Horne Member

It's been about 10 years for me but I'm thinking about a new addition.

14. dividedsky

dividedsky Member

I'll say this. I played guitar for 5 years playing straight into the amp. I got my first effect about a year and a half ago, an old Zoom 505. I had that and that alone for about 4 months. Then for Christmas I got a TS-9 and weeks later got a modded one. So from the start of 2005 until now, a little over a year I have been buying/selling/trading and have had around 50 pedals. Right now I have 6 in my rig and 2 in the mail. That's pretty much the way it's going these days. I like GAS, it's fun. But finding a pedal that works for you and you love is awesome. I kinda dread the day that I am no longer looking for new effects to be honest, but I think that will be a long time off. :)

15. david eaton

david eaton Member

I built my board in the fall of 2001. Didn't change a thing until Aug. of 2004. Have made one change since, adding a Visual Sound H2O chorus. That was almost one year ago.

16. Deaj

Deaj Member

I can go a week - maybe two.

I don't have a problem though. I can stop whenever I want. :D

17. erksin

erksin Member

I went years with the same stuff - mostly because I was blissfully unaware. TGP is a bad place to hang if you want to maintain that mindstate...

Now, I go about every 4-6 months. One thing I'm sticking to is the 'one in - one out' philosophy. That tends to keep my GAS in check - no kneejerk purchases.

18. Jacobpaul81

Jacobpaul81 Member

I went for years with a bunch of crap. Replaced it with a nice guitar. Then I bought some crap pedals to augment it. I bought my AC30 in 1999, and purchased a Direct Drive and a Tone Press. That sat still until 2005 when I sold all my crap, and purchased some custom pedals. I just bought my 5th boutique pedal (3rd in the last year... and the only one I own that cost more than $150). I guess you can say, Im willing to suffer the long waits and horrendous tones, rather than fall to the will of the GAS attack.

19. Chuck Snider

Chuck Snider Supporting Member

Seems like my board will go without any changes until that damned Scotty puts out a new build. So I guess until April , when the production Boost Royale W/Cheese hits the street....:AOK

20. mcknigs

mcknigs Supporting Member

For the last few years I've tended to change something almost every show. When I returned to playing guitar in bands back about 12 years ago I would go for 1-3 years using the same overdrive. I'd use that plus an analog delay and a tuner I used a Boss Dual Overdrive for a couple years, a TS-5 Tubescreamer for 3 years, a Barber Tone Pump II for 4 years and mostly a modded Blues Driver for the last year or so. Lately I've been playing around with different ODs more - a Brooklyn Overdrive I got recently, a Fulldrive I've experimented with for several years, my old Dual Overdrive which has now been modded... I've gone back and forth between using my Microamp as a boost or just using the guitar volume control. Occasionally I'll try a fuzz (Fulltone '70s, Guyatone TZ-2, decrepit Big Muff Pi, recent Vox Tone Bender). In general the fuzz works well with some bands but not at all with my main band. I have a spot on the board that often gets taken by whatever chorus, flange, phase shifter, vibe, oddball thing I might feel like playing with that night. Occasionally a wah comes along to the gig and gets plugged in somewhere off the pedal board. When the amp du jour doesn't have tremolo I'll probably bring a modded Boss TR-2. I have a nice Aramat-modded DS-1 Distortion that I like but don't usually bring out because the OD of the evening usually handles the job well enough. The delay has remained the only constant through the years.

-Scott