HOW LONG Does Your GAS/JONES Last?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Tidewater Custom Shop, Mar 8, 2015.

1. Tidewater Custom Shop

Tidewater Custom Shop Performance Enhancing Guitarworks Supporting Member

Man, I jones for a lot of things, some more than others & some things for a longer duration.

My latest jones was for a Gibson Flying V project, a beater/player to convert into what I think would be a badass guitar. When I had a trade offering toward one and got limited and/or unattractive offers, I gave up and removed my thread. That jones will wait for another time... maybe.

But when the GAS hits, it hits hard. On a linear scale, it peaks the moment I realize I want/desire something (gear, guitar, amp, etc). I evaluate what I have that I can live without and form a plan to sell/trade, then execute. The longer that plan is in effect, the shallower the desire becomes.

Although I never truly measured the duration, I'd say my GAS timeline is typically a week. This is a generalization for 'spur of the moment' type acquisitions.

How 'bout yours?

2. sixty2strat

sixty2strat Member

Some things it lasts for years , 19 years for an EDS1275 then got one . 8 on a 63- 64's Firebird III passed on 2 with issues before they went sky high. Then had the cash n lost my job.....one day!

3. ledzep618

ledzep618 Supporting Member

If I don't act on a piece of gear I'm gassing for in a 2 week period, it usually fades. My problem has been that I usually don't wait the 2 weeks haha.

Getting better though. I realllly want a Tungsten Cortez but I can't afford it. So I'm just avoiding tweed related stuff and in 2 weeks it'll be an afterthought.

4. Jason_77

Jason_77 Member

Years. I've wanted a black LP Custom for at least 12 years now. One day...

5. Tidewater Custom Shop

Tidewater Custom Shop Performance Enhancing Guitarworks Supporting Member

I've had GAS for a late '50s White Falcon since I can remember... since I saw (on TV) Stills & Young play theirs in the '70s. That guitar always seems out of reach dollars-wise. I may never get one. The White Falcon is maybe my Holy Grail.

I reckon I'm talking about short-term GAS... where if I don't cop that guitar I'm jonesing for within 1-2 weeks, I move on.

BTW - I did score a Flying V finally, and it will be a badass guitar one day!

6. Elduderino73

Elduderino73 Member

This is just a basic part of the human condition. After giving it some thought I came up with the saying, "Anticipation is often better than Acquisition."

You see something you want to have, but lack the necessary means to acquire it. You must have it so you lay out a plan on how you will make it one of your possessions. It will take some discipline and a lot of scrimping and saving to do it. It is possible but will take time.

So you start your plan in motion, saving a few dollars here and there, socking away that bonus...all the while surfing the net looking at pictures of your object of desire, reading articles about it, checking out forums of people who already own one. You dream of the day it will be yours.

Until then it's back to reality. You make due with the gear you have at the moment; make the best of things so to speak. And you realize, maybe you don't have your dream piece of equipment and somehow you're still making it through your day. Oh, but the day you own that prized piece of equipment it will be like heaven on earth. You will sound amazing and all will be right with the world. The euphoria you'll feel will be like a drug.

"One day. One day" you tell yourself. Back to reality. Back to saving up money. It will be a while before you can get there, but you're determined to.

Finally! the day has arrived when you have enough money to buy your object of desire. The anticipation is almost too much to take. Either you head on down to your local music store and drop your cash on the counter to take possession, or you click "Buy" on a gear website.

You've done it. If you went to a music store to buy you're riding a euphoric wave and you simply can't believe you finally own it! Can it be real? Can this just be a dream? The anticipation was killing you but now the day is finally here!

If you bought from a website you no doubt couldn't settle for free shipping and 5-7 days of more waiting. Nope. You had to go for the extra fee of next day air. Who cares about the extra cost? So it arrives the next day. You get the notice it was delivered but you're stuck at work. Argh! The waiting is killing you. You seriously contemplate taking the rest of the day off just to get home and play with your new toy.

So finally quitting time comes and you head home. How you avoided a speeding ticket you'll never know. You pull up to your driveway and see it. The most beautiful sight you can imagine at the moment: a cardboard box and a label with your name and address on it. You bring it inside, tear it open and upon opening the package it's like the most glorious light emanating from inside accompanied by a chorus of angels.

The moment has arrived and you couldn't be happier riding that euphoric wave.

So over the next few hours you play with your new toy. Yep, the wait was killing you but it was worth it. Everything is right with the world. The financial sacrifices you made were well worth it. Sure, you still sound like you as you play your new toy. You still need more practice, but damn you look good with and, more importantly, feel good with your new toy.

So over the next few days and weeks you're still really happy with your toy, but
    the newness has worn off. Sure it's great to own and you're glad to have it, you love making your friends jealous, and wish you could have owned it sooner, but you find yourself once again browsing gear websites looking for something new to fill the brand new void that has once again made itself know to you.

It's a never-ending cycle. Be happy with what you have.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2015
  7. halcyon

halcyon Supporting Member

Usually until it's satisfied -- whether that means playing it in a shop or actually buying it.

Fortunately, it doesn't happen often as I'm presently quite content. And when it does happen, if I keep my head down and focus on playing/practicing, the symptoms are manageable.

8. monty

monty Member

Until I scratch that itch, it never really goes away.