How long (Gibson Custom Shop)???

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Steve Gambrell, Apr 28, 2008.

1. Steve Gambrell

Steve Gambrell Member

OK, I've already paid for a new '57 Goldtop VOS Les Paul. The store had none in stock, and Gibson had ONE(1), and it was a light-back. As this is pretty much a dream guitar, I want a darkback, to contrast with the gold top. I wonder how long it'll take their Custom Shop to build my guitar? They're pretty much hand-built, aren't they? And nitro finished? How long I got to wait????

2. jeffwith1f

jeffwith1f Member

Last I heard, the Custom shop had stopped taking orders for items in batches of smaller than 5.
    do you want 5 of them?

3. Joe Boy

Joe Boy Member

4. AnthonyL

AnthonyL Silver Supporting Member

100%! Plus no one can touch Saul's prices...

5. Steve Gambrell

Steve Gambrell Member

Well, I've already paidfor the guitar, and I PROMISE, it's less than Saul's price. Have any of you guys run into this?

6. jbird

jbird Member

I'd ask your dealer for a prompt answer from they're Gibson rep. If it's not in your time frame, I'd take my business elsewhere, where they might have that guitar, and ask for a price match! When I tried/ordered a Gibson, my dealer was on the phone, with me in the office, asking if/when the guitar would be available! I was given an approximate date of arrival!

7. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

As said earlier Gibson does there guitars in batches. So, unless there is already a existing order for darkback Goldtops from dealers I really doubt they will simply make "one" guitar. Usually, Gibson will take orders (back-order) until they get a nice number in quanity worth doing on a particular model. You can easilly find out availability with Gibson through your dealer. If its not currently available you will be on a back-order and then you'll be at the mercy of Gibson's production schedual.

If shopping new, the only options is to wait it out or find a dealer that has it in stock.

8. Steve Gambrell

Steve Gambrell Member

That's what Gibson's telling my dealer. He tells me that everybody that orders from the custom shoppe gets the same answer, since Gibson can be inconsistent with their shipping. He also said that CS guitars usually come in sooner than expected. AS LONG AS THE NITRO AIN'T STICKY!!!

9. Steve Gambrell

Steve Gambrell Member

Found out---IT'LL BE HERE NEXT WEEK!!!! Extra low price, too! More to come...

10. hookakat1

hookakat1 Member

This has turned into a terribly intriguing thread.

11. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Supporting Member

R7's are badass futhamuckers, enjoy it!

12. motorcitychick

motorcitychick Member

Saul's store tried to sell me a Slash guitar that the price was way higher than GC. I was not impressed with that store's way of doing business. That is why I shop around and look for the best deal. Hey a few hundred dollars savings today is a big deal. :phones

13. Jim S

Jim S Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

http://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=140411

:stir

14. Steve Gambrell

Steve Gambrell Member

CNC's are fine by me. I've been doing maintenance on 'em, and working on software, for years. I know their tolerances. And then HAND assembled? The best of both worlds!