How long is the turn around time for your amp tech?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Yer Blues, May 29, 2015.

1. Yer Blues

Yer Blues Member

I've had an amp in the shop 3-4 weeks. For recent work 4 weeks has been the longest time. The guy does good work, but has a rep for being slow. I've got other amps I can gig with, so it's not an issue. Last time the turn around time was 2 weeks on another amp.

2. FFTT

FFTT Member

2 weeks unless it's an emergency.

3. dirk_benedict

dirk_benedict Supporting Member

Typically 2 weeks or shorter. I've been going to the guy for many years now, so he'll give me the "how quickly do you need it" card to play if I'm in a bind. In that circumstance I've gotten stuff turned around in a few days, and that was after being a loyal customer for a while. But I've also given him 4-6weeks or longer on things at times. Sort of depends on the calculus of what's wrong with it, how busy he is, and how long I can bear to be without it.

4. ldizzle

ldizzle Supporting Member

About a week. But I can get next-day at a crazy charge if needbe.

5. sausagefingers

sausagefingers Supporting Member

Last time I took my amp in, I waited while he worked. Maybe an hour. But it was a simple tube change that I should have done myself.

6. ellsworthman

ellsworthman Silver Supporting Member

Four or five weeks; he's the only guy around who works on tube amps for at least a 50 mile radius, and he's busy. He's great at what he does though, so I don't mind the wait.

7. Astronaut FX

Astronaut FX Member

My most recent was nearly 3 weeks. But his shop is only open 4 days a week. He's the best around do worth the wait.

8. tnjazz

tnjazz Supporting Member

Typically less than a week. It all depends on what it is though.

9. Coldacre

Coldacre Supporting Member

I'm lucky that the luthier/tech/genius that I go to gives me a straight up answer. he's the busiest guy in Melbourne, who takes business from all over the world. but he opens with "when did you want to pick it up?", I say "no rush, whenever you can"... I then get a no ******** reply of "it'll be ready on *insert day within 2 weeks*"

its always ready by that day.

he just doesnt f.uck around and that's why every body goes to him.

if his turn around time went another week, I'd still wait 3 weeks for his service - he is the best. his father looked after my father in the 70's. the family business has been operating out of the same backyard since the 1950's. you can't find service like that anymore.

10. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

A week. Right away if I tell him I need it right away, and he's in town, but I use a friend who works out of his basement in the evenings.

11. Yer Blues

Yer Blues Member

Yeah... that's how it seems like it is around here, too. I'm just wondering in 20-25 years from now when all these guys retire.... who is going to be fixing tube amps? I personally don't know anybody around my age who knows how to fix guitar amps.

12. supergenius365

supergenius365 Silver Supporting Member

Week or less. Old repair guy was two weeks regardless.

13. RCM78

RCM78 Member

When Jimmy Somma was in Jersey I used him and always waited while he worked. Usually just retube and bias type work but he was able to make a few repairs while I waited.

Now I use Billy Penn and he has turned my stuff around in a day or two.
    One time I had to order a switch from Bogner so it took a week to fix the amp but Billy only took one day to diagnose and one day to repair...

14. loudboy

loudboy Member

With a notice, he'll look at it while I'm there. Usualy it's done and I'm on my way.

The most has been 3-4 days.

15. custom53

custom53 Member

My Marshall JCM2000 TSL Head started "acting" up.. So I called my amp guy, who I have used for years. I dropped it off March 23, 2015.. I just got it back this past Tuesday. May 26, 2015.. And that was after a few emails asking about it. And I was charged $300 for a complete re-tube. Although I didn't ask for the pre-amp tubes to be replaced because I have new ones here.. It does sound great now but after over 8 weeks and suspicious billing, I think I will be looking for another tech next time.. Sad, because he has always been a pretty good guy, lives close, And does good work.. But this was a bit too much over the top for time and money.. Out of common courtesy for the guy, I won't post his name or contact info..

Last edited: May 29, 2015
  16. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

2 weeks typically. The last job I had was completed in about a week. The key is the communication. My guy keeps me informed throughout.