How long should a dealer honor a discount offer with no expiration date?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by guitarman3001, Apr 20, 2015.

1. guitarman3001

guitarman3001 Member

Asking because I don't want to make an unnecessary fuss. A few years ago I got a letter from WWBW offering me a call-in discount of 15% off my order. The letter was not dated and the offer did not have an expiration date.

If I had to guess, I'd say it was about 4 or 5 years ago or so. It was signed by a rep who is no longer there.

It's not a coupon code, it's just a letter saying I am entitled to 15% off my next purchase and I should call in and ask for a certain rep, and if he is unavailable, another rep will be able to help me. .

I called WWBW and they refused to honor it. They then asked me to send them a copy of it so I scanned a copy and sent it to them. They said that after looking at it, they determined that it was an old letter (around 5 years according to them) and because of that, even though it did not have any expiration date, they would not honor it. They even implied that it may have been some kind of attempted fraud on my part. (for 15%? Really???...jesus....)

Is it reasonable for them to refuse to honor that offer even though it did not have any expiration date or any time frame in which it must be used?

I actually have two of those letters sent to me from different reps and I've held on to them until there was something I wanted to buy and couldn't find any other discounts to apply. Something finally came up so I decided to use one of them only to be met with an accusation of possible fraud and a refusal to honor it because it has expired....despite it not having an expiration date.

Am I wrong here?

2. porticoguitar1

porticoguitar1 Member

No date is no date. Call back and discuss again. Heck, if that doesn't work, I bet if you called Sweetwater and tell them your story, they would honor it.

3. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

Sweetwater and discount are two words that don't really go together.

As for the OP, I their point and I see yours. I lean more to them though, it's a long time and those reps are long gone. Nothing is really in it for them at this point.

4. guitarman3001

guitarman3001 Member

The way I'm currently seeing it is there is most certainly something in it for them. The offer was not extended to me by one person, like some guy on craigslist. It was extended by WWBW, with that rep being the one who sent the letter. The letter clearly said that I should call him OR any other rep if he's unavailable.

It was sent on a WWBW letterhead, not on the rep's personal stationery.

It was an offer made by the company. With no expiration date.

I don't know....that's the direction I'm leaning. I'm open to being convinced otherwise though. That's why I made the thread. I want to see some explanations of their side of the issue.

Oh, and yeah, I'm more likely to find a beautiful mermaid that'll turn into a human and want to marry me and do nothing other than please me till I die than a discount from Sweetwater.

5. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Senior Member

Five years is asking a bit too much IMO. Let it go.

6. jmontgomery

jmontgomery Supporting Member

I always get some kind of discount from Sweetwater when I ask. Being a repeat customer may have something to do with it.

7. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

Technically I suppose you're right. Realistically, 5 years was too long to wait. GC has 15% sales all the time. Go there for your discount

8. guitarman3001

guitarman3001 Member

Where I live, GC = tax, which = 7.5% less of a discount so a 15% discount there really = 6.5%.

Until MF, M123, WWBW, and Sweetwater are forced to collect tax, they will almost always be a better deal for me.

9. blues

blues Supporting Member

+1000 :facepalm

10. guitarman3001

guitarman3001 Member

I'm still not sure I understand why 5 years is a bit too much for an offer that doesn't expire.

If the offer said "please call me within X amount of time to take advantage of this offer" then obviously I'd understand. But there is no expiration date, the company is the same, nothing has changed. To me, I'm seeing that offer as no different than cash. How is it any different?

11. Paleolith54

Paleolith54 Member

You asked for opinions. You're getting them. Why argue?

Besides, your position is silly. Lack of a date dos not constitute a commitment in perpetuity, and I don't see how that's not obvious. As others are pointing out. In response to your request.

Do people just not have any pride anymore? Always trying to work an angle...

12. guitarman3001

guitarman3001 Member

An angle? Wanting to use an offer they sent me is "an angle"? Well that's a first.

And I don't see anyone arguing. I'm simply stating my point of view relative to others' point of view. That's hardly an argument.

13. Meriphew

Meriphew Member

Sweetwater matched a 10% off coupon for me a couple of weeks ago (for a Celestion Gold speaker).

14. DewieCox

DewieCox Supporting Member

If I found a 5 year old coupon without an expiration, I wouldn't press the issue too hard. I'd actually probably toss it without thinking of using it.

On the other hand, if I mentioned it and felt the company implied that I faked it, I might leverage that to get the 15% discount.

15. skunx

skunx Member

Really that's the part that would piss me off. Sure they could say "sorry bud you waited too long" but to acuse you of fraud is a different deal. I'd be all over customer service with that one.

16. TheRealDeal

TheRealDeal Member

Curious to know what we're you trying to use the coupon for

17. jordane93

jordane93 Member

5 years is a little too long to ask for the discount. But next time they should put an expiration date.

18. lofibrian

lofibrian Supporting Member

I got 18% off my Epi Joe B les paul a few months ago by just asking nicely...

Just wait till they have a sale and ask nicely on a excluded brand. Worst they can say is no.

-B

19. ejkennedy

ejkennedy Member

That's an odd statement for me to read. I've personally had $100's taken off orders in my cart after calling a sales rep at Sweetwater. Maybe $1,000's by now. Can't remember. But that's strange for me to see/hear. Anyways, my opinion is that if you got some type of discount encouraging you to buy product it's probably reasonable to think it was sales in the near future that they were looking for??? Maybe that's reasonable? I don't know. Some people see it different. One mistake (albeit idiotic) and modern day consumerism jumps all over it. Just my experience working in business. :). If you called and they said "no" I would think that'd be the end of any type of "care" for me. If they can't give 15% after that call, look elsewhere. These are just my opinions! Cheers!

20. jimbugg

jimbugg Supporting Member

If it doesn't have an expiration date, then IMO they should honor it as they would any other discount. I do see their point though, and I don't really know that it's worth arguing about, especially when almost any other music store will give you 15% off any day of the week. If you really want to argue it, I'd make the case that you can get the same amount off just by calling GC or MF.