• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

How Long Til "Break in"?

jefrobie

Silver Supporting Member
Got my Fender Deluxe VM today. I'll post a review here pretty quick. Sounds pretty tight right now, before I draw too many conclusions, how long does it usually take until speaker loosens up, tubes etc? Thanks,

bluetweed

Silver Supporting Member
give it a good 100 hours, and everything in the amp will inprove for the better :AOK

SkipTracer

I don't think speaker break-in a myth.

I recently had one of my speakers reconed, a Celestion G12 Alnico from '67 with a Vox/JMI label. It sounded good right out of the box, but something changed during the first 5 to 10 hours. The treble became less harsh and I think I hear a little more low end, too. I even recorded some before/after clips (which I will share at some point) using the same settings, same signal path, etc.

The speaker has maybe 25 hours on it now (at band volume, that is) and I don't think much has changed since the initial break-in I just described.

Telecaster62

I have no idea about the technical aspects but I can definitely say that my little Gibson GA-5 sounds very very different after a couple of hundred hours of playing time. Whether that's speaker break in or tubes changing their specs or whatever, I don't know. I do know the amp sounds warmer, fuller and much less brittle.

Austinrocks

break in a myth LOL, the speaker surround has to lossen up, it could be done at the factory since most amps are tested for a day or so, or it may not,

the lack of bass is generally a sign of a speaker that needs to be broken in, my experience with home speakers that I build is its a major change, the woofer sounds like a tweeter before its broken in.

as far as how long, until the speaker gets its bass, usually a few hours if I drive it hard. longer if I don't, some people claim 100s of hours, really have not seen that its more than a day,

Tubebender

anyone else on this topic? I've had some speakers sound middy and boxy then break in after x amount of time, the bass and hi's came in nicely. I'm hoping the Emi RW&B does that, otherwise, it's out@!!

Trending Topics