How long to wait before unpacking a new guitar delivered to your home?

dead of night

Hi, I'm expecting a new guitar to be delivered today. It is shipped from Georgia to Virginia, 2nd day air.

The temperature ranges from 60 degrees to 70 degrees fahrenheit throughout the trip.

How long should I wait to unpack it after bringing it into the house to avoid any kind of damage?

texstrat

Silver Supporting Member
There is no issue there, just open it. If the temp when from 30 deg to 100 deg you might want to let it sit for half a day. You are Good to go.

Last edited:

PixMix

I usually wait 4-6 days, but hey, it's your guitar... just kidding man, tear that box apart right on your porch. Happy new guitar day!

Gas Hed

There is nothing to worry about. Thermal variations on a guitar typically manifest themselves in your neck bow/backbow and fret ends. Some not so common issues could arise anywhere there is a mechanical joint (i.e. something glued together or fastened together). A well built guitar won't allow normal thermal and humidity variations to affect it to the point of damage. Expect to make some adjustments though with the neck. That is simply physics.

Tidewater Custom Shop

Performance Enhancing Guitarworks
Silver Supporting Member
What Gas Head said...

I'd say if the environmental conditions are extreme, i.e. from a very warm and humid truck to a very cold and humidity controlled music room, then give the wood an hour or two to acclimate to its new environment. When the time is up, bring the guitar into standard tuning and start playing it, but expect it to continue to settle for a while... even days. Wood indeed reacts to climate change, but not so extreme that a truss rod adjustment won't remedy/correct the change, and certainly not enough to inflict permanent damage. Of over 100 guitars I've shipped, only two generated concern that resulted in me offering to pay for a setup (despite the fact that the guitar was setup perfectly when it left).

Guitars are a bit more hardy and resilient than people give due credit, but are subject to environmental change - that's why most have an adjustable truss rod.

TheoDog

Silver Supporting Member
The larger the difference between outside and room temperature, the longer you can wait- mostly if the weather is colder.
The major significant concern is nitro finishes.

Pietro

2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy
Pretty sure that that difference in temp is pretty extreme. My feeling is that the instrument will be ruined anyway. Send it to me and I'll dispose of it for you... no charge...

stormin1155

Silver Supporting Member
I've shipped and received dozens and never had an issue. If it's going from 0 to 75, I'll leave it for a few hours. Changes like you are describing, don't worry.

corn husk bag

...till your wife's not around.
My wife just bought me a Fender Ultra with the flame top and back from 1992 in mint condition, it would have been in bad taste not to open it in front of her! (The guy that had it before me probably hid it under the bed and never opened it?)

She had it shipped, so I checked the weather at shipment location including temperature and humidity and it was virtually the same as here, so I popped it right open!

Steve

Promit

Well sometimes when I get home, I need to use the bathroom. That can delay me by several minutes.

milli vanilli

I had a Malmsteen strat... stickers all over the box from Fender warning to let it sit without opening for 24 hours. If they would have paid as much attention to quality control as they did to sticker application I wouldn't have sent it back LOL

Trending Topics