How long would a battery last in a wah (Zvex wah probe)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Soulgolem, Jun 19, 2008.

1. Soulgolem

Soulgolem Member

Got a little question here, I would like to use my wah probe with a battery instead of a 9v adapter, it would just make things simpler for me, so how long would a good 9v battery last in a wah pedal ? Can I use rechargeable ? (I'm guessing they would last considerably less).

Thanks,
    Francis.

2. gold_soundz

gold_soundz Member

If you unplug the pedal when you have finished playing it should last perhaps 6 months to a year.

3. drolling

drolling Member

Rechargeable batteries have never worked for me (in pedals, anyway) and wahs draw very little current, compared to modulation/delay type circuits.

My wahs are all pretty old, w/no AC tap. As long as I remember to unplug 'em, 9v batteries last a long, long time. Quieter too- power supplies & transformers tend to create noise & radio station stuff if they're too close to the wah - even my NEW wah (w/adaptor jack) is presently powered by battery.

And while I have no experience w/the Wah Probe, I've got a 6 month old ZVex Lo-Fi Loop Junky that's still running on the original battery.. That's a 20 second looper/sampler! Don't know how he does it. Most of my loopers suck down batteries in no time!!

4. Judson

Judson Senior Member

Ive got a wah probe and let that ****er DIE. I mean I just let the bat. go for as long as I could, it makes some cool sounds when its almost totally gone. But it does deffinitly die, the sound gets weaker and weaker then one day it says no. With trying to unplug it after every use mine lasted about 2 years : ] (maybe more I dont know how long ago I changed it, or got it, but the date on mine is from 2005 I think and this was my second time changing her out)

Just put a new carbon bat in it and its singing away again.

5. goldie-gold

goldie-gold Member

I have a Tremolo Probe. I've had it for a couple of years and I have changed the battery once. That was pretty early on too, and only because I left it plugged in and left the guitar cable over the copper plate.

Keep it unplugged and I would imagine a battery lasting ages. I am pretty sure the thing which draws the most current in the probe pedals is the LED, which you can turn down.

6. peacebone

peacebone Member

^That's true. The LED is the battery-sucker.

7. Soulgolem

Soulgolem Member

Thanks guys, I feel more confident about doing that. I love my wah probe !

8. dsl

dsl Member

For the record The Wah Probe current draw is 20ma.