How LOUD are you guys playing out??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by WILLIEKENDRICK, Apr 26, 2008.

1. WILLIEKENDRICK

WILLIEKENDRICK Supporting Member

Hi everyone,

Just kinda curious as to how loud everyone plays on stage?? I know that has alot to do with the genre of music you play (i.e. the jazz guys won't probably be as loud as the metal guys..). I came from a 60's style band where an 18 watt amp was just way too loud (I had it on "1" or 1 1/2 all the time), now I'm blasting away in a more 70's power rock band with a 50 watt Rivera or Roccaforte. Last night was a bit TOO LOUD--even for yours truly...:messedup:NUTS. It's cool that we have some venues where we can crank it, but methinks we might need some more balance...

Chime in please!

2. kalender1

kalender1 Member

I use a jcm800 combo and dont go over 5 in the volume .We play original and blues/r&b stuff.Our moto is always be able to hear the vocals clearly.That rule of thumb keeps things from getting too nuts as I have a Gypsy fuzz on board and love turning that thing up to 100.

3. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

I have found a happy medium volume-wise with the reinhardt sentinel. It's similar to a jtm 45 and mayb 30-35 watts I'm guessing. I get plenty of clean glossy headroom and don't overload the stage with volume like I do with my 50 watter. In my situation we mic everything and listen to ourselves on IEM's.

4. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

I've been mostly playing 2x6L6 amps recently. One of them is cathode biased and not particularly loud; I play at set at about 2:00 or so. The others are fixed bias and are VERY loud. I cannot get with away setting the volumes any higher than 2.5 on those amps. I use pedals for boost/distorion, when needed. This is what I'd call "low to moderately loud" considering the places we've played.

5. Free

Free Member

20 Class A watts cranked just a hair under max volume into 3 12" speakers - combo and 2x12 ext.

6. Rex Nomad

Rex Nomad Member

It's not just about how loud... but how well does your gear do loud.

I like loud music and I play loud. But it does suck to see bands that sound bad because they're playing louder than their gear can handle.

7. vicilux

vicilux Member

I have a modified '66 Bandmaster head in a 4x10 cabinet with tube rect. and reverb. Essentially it's a Super Reverb now. I've been using THD Yellowjackets in the amp a lot for gigs. I'd say it's about 15-18 watts and I use the volume at about "7". A bitchin tone and just the right volume. I can still use the 6l6's for an outdoor venue or big place, but haven't had that type of gig. Also My Ampeg Gemini 1 is very handy as is my Ceriatone 5e3 Deluxe. So many places ask you to turn down nowadays, that a 45 watt amp seems like an antiquated notion. I play blues in a 4 pc band with harp.

8. Structo

Structo Member

Buy a cheap Radio Shack SPL meter and see for yourself.
    If you are over 120 db you are damaging your ears as well as the crowds.
    That being said, it really isn't rock unless it's loud is it?

9. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

In one band I can't get my Clubman loud enough, in another I barely need to put it on...it would be nice to play in the middle ground.

10. dave s

dave s Member

Recently picked up an AC15H1TV 112 combo. Set everything up in the basement running the amp on about 4. Showed up to the first gig with the amp and had to turn it down TWICE!!!

Our drummer is not what you'd term a 'basher,' but does play rather loud. I honestly thought the 15w VOX would have a hard time keeping up. Not at all. It's definitely one of those LOUD 15w amps! :dude

dave

11. Patrick Ginnaty

Patrick Ginnaty Member

I play my SFDR at around 2... tubed w/6L6s+ss rectifier, JBL D120 speaker
    driven on leads with my Fulldrive turned up about halfway.

ie not too loud

12. SkipTracer

SkipTracer Member

I just turn the amp (AC30) up so I can hear myself above the drum kit.

How loud that is depends on the stage and how it's set up, but it's usually about 50% on the dial and the amp is breaking up slightly. (Yes, loud drummer.)

13. voxer

voxer Member

you're definitely doing damage before that - especially if it's a decently long set. Anything over 110 db A-weighted is gonna do something over time.

14. Maruuk

Maruuk Member

Not only are there fewer and fewer venues to play live these days, but the local noise abatement laws are getting worse and worse. What a BJ puts out is about the limit in a lot of bars and clubs lately.

15. playon

playon Supporting Member

My gigs can be all over the map, but at the loudest, I play a '60 Bassman 45 watt amp into 4 x 10s on about 3 or 4 and it's really loud, I only use it on big stages or outdoors. Next would be a 30w AC-30 style amp cranked about 30%, last would be really quiet gigs where I use a Princeton Reverb on about 3 or 4. My basic deal is getting a good clean tone just shy of breaking up and using pedals to go over the top.

16. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

Our rule of thumb is if you can't hear everyone else you're too loud. So far it's worked pretty well.

17. DavidE

DavidE Member

I play a 40 watt 1x12 combo these days. I turn up just loud enough to hear myself over my drummer. However, I play with a very loud rock drummer, so it's pretty loud.

18. matthet

matthet Member

i play an Omega Modded Hot Rod Deville 410, and i typically CRANK IT!
    it set the clean channel where it's just before breakup ( around 4 or 5) without the mid boost, then use the mid boost for gritty solo work gives a nice OD. then i set the dirt channel to match the clean's volume.

it sounds fine at lower volumes, but i just love the sound of that amp cranked!

19. clarkram

clarkram Member

If I run a D13 rsa 31, I keep the volume at 10 o'clock, club size up to 125, just started using a 40 watt Louis Electric KR12, master at 6 (out of 12), channel volume at 8, un micd for both. Plenty of volume for blues/classic rock stuff.

20. Tripower455

Tripower455 Member

I run a Hiwatt DR504 clone into a Swanson 2-12 with Weber Thames. The master at around 12:00 and the normal preamp set at around 9:00. This makes a nice rich clean setting that is the base for my pedals.

It is loud enough to cut through the mix with a fairly heavy handed drummer. It is not so loud that my ears are ringing after we stop. I tweak the MV and mids depending on venue (I go to about 2:00 on the MV and bump the mids a little when outside)

We run everything direct to the board and mix into the FOH mix. The amp is basically my stage monitor.......