• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

How LOUD do you play guitar?

How loud do you play?

• Below 60dB

Votes: 35 10.9%
  • 60-70dB

Votes: 35 10.9%
  • 70-80dB

Votes: 56 17.4%
  • 80-90dB

Votes: 90 28.0%
  • 90-100dB

Votes: 64 19.9%
  • 100dB-110dB

Votes: 41 12.8%

• Total voters

The Opera Panther

Silver Supporting Member
I've got 2 house levels (I use an attenuator).

"Loud" is the level I'll play at unaccompanied - so just me playing. That's right around 97-100db with my SPL meter about a meter from the amp.

"Soft" is the level I'll play with backing tracks at. That's right around 89-92db with my SPL meter about a meter from the amp.

Tommy Biggs

Silver Supporting Member
I guess 90ish at home. I like a bit of volume.
With my old band we weren’t that loud in rehearsals but I’ve joined up with a new/old crew and I think I’ll be wearing protection.

meterman

I have a soundproofed basement and I love to play loud. I used to play louder at home than I could with a full band onstage. My ears would always ring which I knew was bad but it just felt better, like flooring the accelerator in a nice car. Lately though I'm enjoying the quieter playing more, meaning a Deluxe on 3-4 rather than a 50w Bassman on 6. Still feels good but my ears don't hurt afterwards!

motokev

How LOUD do you play guitar?

I'm a home player and used to play LOUD

But, I now get headaches o_O when I play loud.

so, no more.....

rawkguitarist

I don't like loud guitar to be honest. I keep it down to just a bit over conversation volume. I have no idea what dB rating that is. I practice quite a bit and I have a wife and 2 kids. I don't want to bug them with repetitive work. In the mornings, I play at very low volume. Since I play at a continuum of lower volumes, I have to have good gear that sounds great at low volumes. That's either a Carol-Ann Tucana 3 with a great master volume or my Barber dirt boxes into my clean Carol-Ann plexi.

In my 20's I gigged for years with a very loud Marshall and 4x12 and next to a loud drummer and his cymbals. *never* wore ear plugs. Yup, pretty significant tinnitus. So gigging I either keep my IEM's lower or wear ear plugs when the gig is stage gear.

HighRoller

I play through a '57 Fender Twin as a casual living room amp, it's a lot of fun having this lifestyle.

GreatGreen

While I do love cranking my amps from time to time, 99% of my playing at home is done at TV volumes and can be easily casually talked over.

I like my hearing and want to keep it.

Strife_D

Personally, I only stop raising the volume once uncontrollable feedback is achieved.
I work down from there as needed using the vol. knobs of the guitar.

twoheadedboy

I don't gig anymore, and I mostly play in the context of writing and recording music. I monitor at a conversational level (about 65 dB), and so my guitar is never louder than that.

I'm not sure who is consistently playing below 60 dB. I guess if you play an electric guitar unplugged and don't strum too hard you could keep it under 60.

Last edited:

Norm N Playin

At home? Quiet enough that my wife ...
My wife clearly has issues with her response to auditory stimuli. I'm not trying to throw her under the bus or anything, it's just the way she's built. I accept her and love her despite her foibles, and for her foibles. Hopefully she can always do the same for me.
... :dunno
Whoa! Your wife has Foibles?! ... dang.
The last Check Up I took my wife to, the Doctor came to me and said, "Your wife has acute angina..."
I grinned and said, "I know... I've seen it."

(God I love that joke!)

Seeing myself out now ...using paper towel to open door.

derekd

Silver Supporting Member
Never measured, but conversation level.

I don't have any need to be louder than that when practicing by myself. When practicing with my wife on fiddle, I turn up some.

twoheadedboy

My shop is 25 feet x 35 feet. My rig is about center of the 35 foot wall, 4 feet out. Marshall 1960AV with Scumback M75’s on top and V30’s on bottom. How loud is a cranked 50 Watt Marshall or 100 Watt Marshall. That’s how I play and that’s the atmosphere. It sounds glorious.
A cranked 100 watter would be at least 115 dB in front of the amp. Probably 100-110 at most places in that room, depending on what the room surfaces are made of. Very ear destroyingly loud.

Abram4235

Silver Supporting Member
Definitely over TV volume but not sure how loud that is. Loud enough where I'm surprised I haven't had a noise complaint in a crowded apartment. I probably am "that guy" though. Oh well.

Trending Topics