• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

How LOUD do you play guitar?

How loud do you play?

• Below 60dB

Votes: 35 10.9%
  • 60-70dB

Votes: 35 10.9%
  • 70-80dB

Votes: 56 17.4%
  • 80-90dB

Votes: 90 28.0%
  • 90-100dB

Votes: 64 19.9%
  • 100dB-110dB

Votes: 41 12.8%

• Total voters

MartinCliffe

Apartment dweller, mostly playing on my own except for church these days. Reckon on average I’m around 80dB. Sometimes a bit more, sometimes a bit less. Just moved (last week) into a new (well, older) bigger space, so may get to raise it a notch, but yet to try.

markjsmith

Gold Supporting Member
I used my phone decibel app and peaks are around 85db on my acoustic, but I don't know what proximity I should keep the meter? I have it 2 feet away from my guitar! I generally play electric around the same volume! This is at home! On gigs 5-10db louder is what I'd estimate!

Whatever a Jtm45 clone and a jmp with channels jumped and on 10 is. Lol im guessing well over 110db
Thats my normal Jam volume in my apt. If im practicing and working on a piece and learning I usually keep it on 4 or 5 on the volume(non master volume amps) and use a sunface etc for gain. But when im just having fun its all the way up

Stig Ø

I live in a house, have a dedicated music room and a patient wife. On my calibrated SPL meter I hit 110 dB a-weighted peaking. Usually I record with iems so I don’t get any ringing in my ears, but I need to feel the pick attack in my chest. When not recording I give it a quick blast for maximum half an hour. I need that volume.

Mark White

Wife in same room working - 70-75dB
Wife watching TV in next room - 80-85dB
No one in the house or weekend blasts - 90-95dB

LaXu

Just reminding you that measurement distance matters a lot so if you are listing decibel levels, please list the distance you are from the speakers or use the standard 1m distance so your results are at least comparable.

RLP

70-80db considering the criteria you mentioned. When I'm with the band, I turn it up a bit.
Interesting thread...

Cheers

At home I've really come to enjoy silent playing, AKA headphones. I have an Eleven Rack at home for that. Live I used to crank my Pro Junior as loud as I good get away with, but in the past few months, I've been playing some reggae and soul tunes and enjoying a real clean sound. I've been treating the amp as a clean tweed sound, and hitting it with a low-gain TS to move it towards a sort of Marshally sound.

And I have a Hotcake as a lead OD that works really well into both the clean Tweed sound or the 'Marshall'. For some reason into the clean the Hotcake sounds quite warm and Eric Johnson-y, but into the Marshall it sounds quite raunchy and sort of AC-DCish

derekd

Silver Supporting Member
Pretty cool. I love the Jazz type influence. On guitar you certainly will get acquainted with chord inversions and Maj 6th chords
Absolutely.

Whit Smith, guitarist for Hot Club of Cowtown, has a few videos on YT where he shows the chords he uses on these tunes. Pretty simple shapes, but not your garden variety Freddy Green shell voicings. As you say, lots of major 6ths.

newfiesig

On what phone?

I've tried a bunch of these programs. I started out trying to verify the level I was getting with one of the apps. I downloaded another, and they were way off. I downloaded more, none agreed. I tried several of these apps on my sons phone and my tablet. They didn't even agree with themselves on different devices. The mics on phones aren't calibrated, I have found no way to tell which are close or not on which device. Supposedly on an iPhone is is better since, from what I have read, they use the same mic or at least the levels are somewhat consistant, but other than that, it is the wild west.
On Android (I have a Samsung Galaxy S9). The one I use is simply called "Sound Meter". It was the highest ranking dB reader on the Play Store. My audiologist has one on his phone that he paid for and really likes. I can't recall the name as it was on IOS only.

newfiesig

I don't have way to measure db and I doubt I'd trust an app on my phone (especially since I use a case).
I have a higher end dB reader and it was spot on (within .5 dB) on my phone. I downloaded a second app and it was also the same. YMMV.

newfiesig

Which sound meter do you use? I see 3 or 4 sound meter apps. down loaded them all and tested, all show different #s in a quiet room.
Mine is called "Sound Meter" on Android. I find that all dB readers vary in a quiet room, it's as if they need extra sound to get going. Compare them with ~80dB sounds.

newfiesig

around 75db b/c my ENT said it's pretty safe to be exposed to those levels for long periods of time without any risk of hearing loss. don't want to go louder and put my ears thru the ringer for hours at a time every single day.
I'm going to start playing 80dB with peaks of 82dB.

Reactions: Dud

griggsterr

If you want to spend the money the Studio Six Digital products ( I think they are IOS only) are what I and many many people who tune and evaluate high end audio systems for DB, spectrum analysis and the other industry curves and measurement systems use.
It may be $40 for the basic one. If you like you can buy one of their pre calibrated mics to use as well for about $100.
You will have a world class audio measurement suite right there. The only real step beyond is SMAART software, and high end mics like Earthworks 25s. That studio six digital line up is pretty top notch and not very expensive.

Trending Topics