1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

How loud do you play.........live?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by big e, Feb 15, 2009.

1. big e

big e Member

I just finished a gig at a 400 seat theater using my Germino 45 combo. I was using a Keeley compressor for a little boost and a MAD distortion box. My amp volumes ( I jump the channels) were around "4". That seemed really loud to me but anything less just doesn't "cut". My style is blues. What volume do other players use and please include your style as I would expect shredders to have everything dimed.

2. Totally Bored

Totally Bored Member

Deluxe Reverb with a bunch of Pedals Playing Bluesy Power Trio stuff. Hendrix,Trower, Zep, SRV originals etc etc. Volume rarely gets past 3 and a half on the Deluxe Reverb. If I need to be louder I'll throw a mic on the amp.

Can't deal with a really Loud amp and the ringing in my ears that follows when I go to bed after a gig. Don't now how people do it. I read on these forums that lots of guys use 50-100 watt amps and crank them to get distortion. I thought people stopped doing that in the 60's and 70's but what do I know ? YMMV.

3. devilrob1979

devilrob1979 Member

Ear plugs man, ear plugs.

4. Tonemeister69

Tonemeister69 Member

:aok:aok:aok

5. Snap

Snap Member

Most of the gigs I've been playing lately have involved some sort of in-ear monitoring system (aviom, hearback, wireless pack), so I can crank if I need to. But even so, I can get tones i like without cranking, and it's better for the audience and soundguy.
    I really don't understand egotistical guitarists who HAVE to have their amp loud to get their "tone".
    You're playing for the audience, (they're paying your bills), and your sound engineer being happy also affects the audience.

6. sixty2strat

sixty2strat Member

I use a 74 50 watt jmp with a 1x12 2x12 4x12 or 8x10 based on the gig or my whim. I run the amp at anything from 5 to 7. I ride my volume knob and a beano boost. Only during a solo is it ever mixed

7. devbro

devbro Member

Since I started using In-Ears, I play much quieter. My 63 Bassman never gets above 6.

8. shredtrash

shredtrash Supporting Member

I play loud enough to hear myself over the drummer (gigs range from a driving rock band to a small rockabilly combo where the drummer plays with brushes). That's it. No more, no less. That means anything from my 18-20 watters at noon w/some attenuation (I use boosters though) to my 6 watter on 3 w/a booster.

9. waylay00

waylay00 Member

I play loud, but I make sure to use proper hearing protection. It's the best of both worlds. You get great tone and keep your ears ;)

10. Rosewood

Rosewood Member

You just need to match the volume of the rest of the other memebers of the band, what ever volume that is.

11. teletroy

teletroy Member

+1
    I almost always use a 5e3 clone through a 2x10 cab, always loud enough. Most the places I play it's mic'd anyway. So as long as we can hear it on stage it's all good. And it's almost always between(or in front of) the drummer and bass player

12. RocksOff

RocksOff Member

too loud, probably. i'm rectifying that thru the use of 18 watters, which for the most part will keep up with a drummer. And +1 to that... keeping up with the drummer is all you can hope to do.

13. willhutch

willhutch Supporting Member

Of course, there is the issue of whether or not you keep your audience or alienate the management, or piss off band mates.

This may not be an issue in your gig environments, but for most of us, the ability to crank an amp is limited by the ears of other people, not just our own.

14. Defendant

Defendant Member

Depends on the gig. If I'm playing with my soul band, I use a 36w amp (Vic DD) with not much clean headroom on the edge of breakup. That seems to be the sweet spot for having enough push if I need it without totally blowing away the horns and other instruments. If I'm struggling for volume I'll use my Silver Kiss as a clean boost and cut mids and bass for a more blackface response.

For my rock band, the same amp is generally cranked and just keeps up. I'll be looking at 50w type amps for this band in the near future.

backing a singer-songwriter, it's down to very quiet. Single enders and 2x6V6 amps do fine in this context.

15. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

Jus about every gig I've done in the last year has been done with my Magic ZII (did one with my ZIIv) which is a 2x6L6 cathode-biased amp in a 1x12 (G12-65) combo. I use a variety of pedals for boost and distortion. I rarely get the amp up half-way; it stays very clean. It's what I'd consider moderately loud.

16. bynt

bynt Member

It's tough (my main amp doens't have numbers). I agree with "as long as I can hear myself". I personally like amps that I can crank some without being too loud for me. I keep my amps on a stand or a stool (cab is a different story) so I figure if it's not too loud for me, it won't be too loud for the audience. I play all kinds of stuff but I was backing up a rockin "Americana" guy so we got some volume.

I play lots of stuff, but do play a lot of blues. I like breakup when I can get it and use a treble boost/fuzz a lot.

17. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

Not very loud at all, but I don't play very large venues or with a drummer. With 19 other electric guitars I had my Princeton Reverb on 3. With a folk/bluegrass group, I'd have it on 2, though it was through the PA, too. For my solo gigs, rarely over 3 and that is with no PA.

Bryan

18. Frankee

Frankee Wartime Consigliere

Matamp 120......LOUD.

19. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

As I get older, I try not to turn the amp up too much. BUT it always seems that someone else in the band turns up, then the next guy does and then you are to match. I don't like wearing ear plugs and I don't sing so I don't use in-ears... I usually end up with some dull hearing the next morning.

20. Rex Nomad

Rex Nomad Member

I play as loud as the room needs. I use a 100W Master Volume Marshall and 1-2 4x12 cabs as needed. I usually put the master somewhere between three and four - whatever that means.

My personal belief is that the drummer, his cymbals and how hard he hits has more to do with hearing loss than any other factor in the mix.

I've been playing in bands for twenty years. In the past five years I've probably played 300 shows in clubs and venues of all sizes. I get my hearing checked (madatory at my work) once a year and I have only a very slight loss @3k (in 10 years)- and they tell me it probably has more to do with my age than anything else.

Play loud and beware of the drummer!