How loud do you play on stage?

TheoDog

Silver Supporting Member
Princeton Reverb on 6 with DynaComp level at 1:00. Mic'ed.
Song leader's Blues Deluxe drowns it out, but I take plenty back (with none of him) in my monitor.

Floyd Eye

Depends on the room. Mic for what? Big rooms or outdoors I mic my bass cab and my guitar player's cab. Small rooms I don't. I always close mic the drum kit.

Stratburst70

Sadly, I get "too" a lot, too. :cry:

At my last gig, a backyard party, I had my Mesa-Boogie TA-30 on the 15 watt setting, run through a Dr. Z Air Brake on 3. Everyone said that was about the right volume. And yes, it was mic'ed because the sound dog was recording the show.

bob-i

Not very loud at all. The sound man often asks me to turn up because he's getting too much drums in my guitar mic.

I think the last gig I played without a mic was at a bar with max capacity of 30. I used a Princeton reverb on about 2-3.

DrumBob

Platinum Supporting Member
I have an 18 watt Sommatone Slick 18, and it never goes past three, even on a live gig like yesterday, where we're working with a pro sound system and soundman. In a small room, it's lower. Past three and it'll blow your face off.

David Garner

Platinum Supporting Member
We play pretty loud. I use a Marshall 18 Watt head through a 2x12 or a 4x12, and I have it on about 9:00. I'd like an attenuator to limit some of the stage volume. It doesn't bother me, but I know it drives sound men crazy.

Dunzie

I'm the lead guy in a 5-piece with often two other guitarists. We don't always mic, depending on the gig. One of the rhythm guys plays a 100-watt DSL, the lead singer played a 100-watt JCM until about a year ago when he switched up to an AC30. To compete when we don't mic I have a 60-watt (and loud 60-watt) Blues Deville, but otherwise I run a 59 Bassman into a mic. Recently I picked up a Two Rock Studio Pro 35 and 410 cab, so I'm thinking of a 1-2 stereo punch of that and the Bassman.

We usually start at a reasonable level and as the night goes on it moves into the "too" loud category despite good intentions.

Floyd Eye

For this show: 1000 SS watts through a SansAmp RBI through two 410s with a Traben active bass, DI via SansAmp. 120 SS watt through a 412 with an Epi Les Paul, mic'ed with a 57. Drum kit close mic'ed, 12 in all. Piles of subs and stacks of tops. Of course this is an old video ( our first live with the current drummer) and we are much tighter these days. Plus the guitar/vocalist uses a 120 watt tube head with either one or two Marshall 412s ( v30s), still mic'ed with a 57 and I use an SVT/810 mic'ed with a P2 or an RE20 when I can get my hands on one and usually my 4001. Drums are the same except better mics.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xa3Sz3gjETI

Rod

Tone is Paramount
Gold Supporting Member
Live I play a Kemper pretty loud. If I use an amp I am louder. It's 1 of the reasons I use a Kemper. It's balanced with the band but it's by no means buried in the background somewhere. My ears don't ring at the end of the night so I guess it's not that loud, but it is Rock and Roll...

Last edited:

Jay Ralston

Depends on the venue. If it is a larger venue, then I play a lot louder. If it is at church, then I play loud enough to hear myself comfortably in the mix.

Radspin

A Princeton Reverb on about 3. It's more than enough. I don't like playing loud and neither do the rest of the band members.

Trending Topics