1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

How low can you tune without needing innotation adjustments

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by rcs1, May 23, 2011.

1. rcs1

rcs1 Member

I know this is a loaded question...

Generally, how low can you tune without needing to adjust innotation/action. Say the guitar has 10s on it. It is currently half a step down and innotation is perfect. I was thinking of going to D, without changing string tension

2. bluesjunior

bluesjunior Member

As you go down put on bigger strings therefore keeping the neck pressure around the same therefore no set up work other than fine tuning should be neccessary. If I put 10's on my strat and tuned in E standard it has more or less the same tension on the neck as if it was tuned to Eb standard with a set of 11's, so if you plan on going to D then try a set of 12's and you shouldn't be too far out I would think. I don't even know if you could tune a set of 10's down that low without them feeling strange.

3. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

There's only one way to find out. And what do you mean by string tension?

4. rcs1

rcs1 Member

thank you

sorry I did not mean string tension, i meant gauge.
    Looks like I may need to go to 11s!

Thanks