• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

How many delays are running in U2's "Where the streets have no name"?

I did a few searches on this thinking I wouldn't have any trouble finding some answers, but surprisingly I came up empty.

I've heard this song plenty before, but today when it came for some reason I was really paying attention to it. The more I listened the more questions I had about what I was hearing.

So does anyone really know how all that delay is working in that song?

Bucksears

Gold Supporting Member
I've heard somewhere it's the classic 'dotted-eighths' with three repeats or so.
FWIW, I've gotten a config I'm pretty happy with by setting the delay time at 380ms (did this on my DD-20 and now my M13), feedback so there's about three repeats and mix/level around unity.

Close enough for me, YMMV.

slopeshoulder

In the Timeline, I've found 3/4, 3/2, and 5/4 (or is it 4/5?) in the dual engine to be interesting for Edge-ish sounds.

earwax

I've heard somewhere it's the classic 'dotted-eighths' with three repeats or so.
FWIW, I've gotten a config I'm pretty happy with by setting the delay time at 380ms (did this on my DD-20 and now my M13), feedback so there's about three repeats and mix/level around unity.

Close enough for me, YMMV.
I have found the same. Running both the Timefactor and the timeline this is where I think the Timefactor beats the Timeline.

strat-compressor-light od-way huge aqua pus-boss dd20
the dd20 is set to 350 ms...modulated delay, 3 repeats (first is 100%, second and third fade out) the aqua pus is sorta slap back...if not set right, it screws up the dd20 delay...i have slash marks on my aqua for streets, bad, i think streets is at 1-2 oclock

stilwel

Silver Supporting Member
I was in a U2 tribute for many years...

I always ran 2 delays in series for Streets.

Tempo 127bpm
First delay: 1/8th note, 1 repeat, no modulation, 35% mix
Main delay: dotted 1/8th note, 3-4 repeats, fast shallow modulation, 50% mix

This equates to about a 354ms main delay and a 236ms secondary delay.

The first delay is there to provide "bounce". You just want to be able to hear that it's there.

The 2nd or Main delay is the bulk of what you want to hear and 3 or 4 repeats is plenty.

Here's me performing Streets with my U2 tribute (Zoo Station AZ) back in 2006.

In this rig I was using a Line 6 POD XT pro for my AC30 tone as well as the quiet first delay.
I had a TC 2290 delay for the main modulated delay.

You can get the same modulated delay sound from several other delays without spending so much cash:
TC D-Two *recommended
Line 6 Echo Pro *recommended
Strymon Timeline (you can actually do both delays at the same time with this)
Boss DD-20
Line 6 M5, M9 or M13 (you can do both delays at once with M9 or M13)
Line 6 POD HD Bean, 500 or Pro
Korg SDD-2000 - these are getting old and unreliable these days

Last edited:

Goofball

Silver Supporting Member
Wow, your singer does a pretty good Bono there!

...and the Line 6 does a pretty good Vox too. It gets buried a little in the band mix but the beginning sounded pretty authentic.

JasonAz

how does he handle delay for each song live? Does he use just one general setting or does he get specific to the delays for each song?

Cirrus

how does he handle delay for each song live? Does he use just one general setting or does he get specific to the delays for each song?
The time changes because it's often set to a dotted 8th, which is relative to the tempo of the song. His setup has presets which change the delay time to suit each song and he brings different delay units in and out the signal chain as necessary - sometimes it's one delay, sometimes it's two etc.

If the delay doesn't have presets, his tech manually changes the delay time between songs.

jrf

This should help. I just used 1 delay. DD20 set to a modulated dotted eighth delay, about 3 audible repeats, tone on repeats brightened a little.

My guitar is panned hard right.

You can do it very close with a dotted 8, 3-4 repeats. But I think I've gotten closer with a 8th note, very subtle, and then the dotted 8th.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom