How many delays with tap tempo are out there?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by kurt1981, Sep 17, 2008.

1. kurt1981

kurt1981 Supporting Member

Hey guys, I'm trying desperately to figure this out, I need a delay with tap tempo. I need a small size, my dd-20 is way too big for my board. I'd like to keep it simple, not a bunch of modeling and whatnot, so the nova and time factor are out. So far the ones i know are the replica, pretty pridey, and the dls echo tap, which I hear isn't much smaller than the boss. Wondering if there's a small pedal out there with tap tempo that sounds good.
    Thanks in advance,
    Kurt

2. StratManKudzu

StratManKudzu Member

The Boss DD-7 has tap tempo and similar features to the dd-20

3. dksouthpaw

dksouthpaw Member

boss dd-7 and dd-5 and dd20. Empress super delay, hardwire delay and the boss dd-6 if you hold the pedal down for 2 seconds. umm the new memory lane. Eventide timefactor, line 6 dl4 Akai Headrush? (does it i cant remember now) ...i'm forgetting some but thats a good start for you i think

4. buddaman71

buddaman71 Student of Life Silver Supporting Member

I've said it before; Line 6 Echo Park rules for a small pedal with built in tap tempo and killer flexibility.
    Unbeatable price/performance/feature ratio IMO.

5. bargeruns

bargeruns Member

DD7 would be my top choice for simple and affordable, easy to set up subdivision.
    Echo Park is nice sounding pedal, but always carries the unrest of wondering when (not if) your Line 6 unit is going to break down.
    T.C. Nova Delay an excellent unit, good memory banks and subdivisions plus mod effects, but going to cost a bit more.
    Line 6 DL4 tons of sounds (and even a few good ones,) simple to use, but again the question is "how long until it breaks?"

6. frizbplaya

frizbplaya Member

DD7 or Echo Park. Both would be good for what you need. Echo Park has more variety of delay sounds if that's what you're looking for. Both will do digital well. If you need rhythms (triplets or dotted eights) go with the echo park. Edit: I was wrong about this: "Despite what people say, the DD7 does NOT have rhythm settings." It does.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2008
  7. bargeruns

bargeruns Member

Really? Because on my DD6 and from playing with the DD7, setting it to the longest (3200) setting and tapping in gives you quarters, tapping on 800ms gives you .1/8, the next gives you 1/8, and the last 1/16. They're just not marked as such.

8. kurt1981

Hey guys, dl4 is out, too big, and serious tone loss, all of the ones I've owned over the years are not what I'm after. The headrush looks pretty big too, I really need to conserve space here. I don't need a bunch of features or dotted notes or anything like that, I just want to tap in the delay time I need. I want a delay that will sit nicely in the mix, not too overly bright if that makes sense. I just want the best tone possible and no loss when the pedal is in the chain.
    Kurt

9. Andre357

Andre357 Member

Not true. The dd7 DOES HAVE rythmic subdivisions. Read about it at the Boss webpage for confirmation.

I have a small board with one and I occassionaly put the dd7 on the dotted 8th setting for that U2, EDGE type delay...

So respectfully, you are wrong on this.

10. nrvana8775

nrvana8775 Member

boss dd-5, dd07, dd-20 (dd-6 has internal)
    t-rex replica / t.c. vintage delay
    diamond memory lane 1/2
    empress superdelay
    timeline
    timefactor
    dls echcotap
    carl martin delayla
    t.c. nova delay
    line 6 dl4
    akai headrush 1/2

i'm sure there are others

11. frizbplaya

frizbplaya Member

ok, I'll go play with the DD7 again. I was expecting it to have the DD5 style rhythm selector. I've wondered about this and checked boss's website several times but I never find a manual and the "specifications" doesn't mention rhythm stuff at all. I believe you guys though :)

12. Isaiah4Autumn

Isaiah4Autumn Member

ok op...

Is price an issue...if it is not I would go the for replica...it has a option for subdivision if you need it and it has a brown switch that turns the delay into a more analog sounding...it is digital but kinda of pricey....

With that being said if price is an issue then go with what everyone else
    (that seems to reading your op) is telling you with either the echo park or the dd7...

everything else listed by other people are to big for size and the above mentioned pedals have a small foot print

Good luck on your delay quest!

13. kurt1981

Hey all, thanks for the suggestions, I am leaning towards the replica, I really want to do this right this time. I'm just too leery of the modeling delays after being unhappy with the dd-20 and the dl4's change of my direct tone, and what they did in bypass. I hate to spend so much on a delay, but maybe that's the best way.
    Thanks so much,
    Kurt

14. benjisaynomore

benjisaynomore Member

Replica is sweet~! Although spendy. But gives you that dark analog delay but also option to make it sound digital and warm...great choice IMHO. DD-7 is a great straight-forward reliable option and is on my board as of now, it has the subdivisions of the DD-5 plus a 40 second looper, reverse, modulation, and analog settings as well all with external tap option or tapping it in like the dd-6 by holding down for 2 seconds then tapping.

dd-7 is buffered and while pretty darn near transparent will color the tone a tiny bit. Noticeably? Probably not to most, but to some on this forum certainly.

DL-4 has thee best sounds imho out there for lush ambient delays. But...reliable they are not and yes they do suck tone...mine is in a truebypass loop for that reason, but is currently broken down on me.

I too am a guy that can not live without a tap tempo function on a delay, it is a dealbreaker.

Hope that helps.

PS. DD-5 sounds just as good if not better then the DD-7 if you can live without the modulate/analog settings (and the modulate is not that usable in my opinion, too much warble in it).

Out...

Ben

15. kurt1981

Not familiar with SMMH, what is this?
    Kurt

16. NewarkWilder

NewarkWilder Member

smmh = EHX stereo memory man w/ hazarai

17. this1smyne

this1smyne Member

if you don't want the external tap i feel the line 6 echo park is the smallest for usefullness.... the dd6 is hard to bounce back and forth, the DD7/DD5 need external tap. My vote would be the DD5 with one of my mini taps :) but thats just me.