How many Fender Prosonic fans here?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Ascension, May 6, 2008.

1. Ascension

Ascension Member

There seems to be a cult following of these amps so I was wondering how many other Prosonic fans were hanging around here.
    The traditional Fender guys seem to hate um and the Boogie/Marshall heads ignore um. I keep selling mine but then coming back to these amps like a moth to the flame just can't stay away. Anybody else addicted to these things here?
    PS I now have both a head and a combo again both in Black:rolleyes:.

2. randall g

randall g Member

I used to work at a gear store, and we had one - I really liked it! If I hadn't just bought a used Mesa Mark III, I would have scored that Prosonic. It had a cood clean, and a really over the top gain sound, with 2 controls for the gain.

Mattias of the Scorpions likes them too - search for his interview on www.guitarplayer.com as I think he gives some tips on how to use it. I think he prefers the heads over the cabinets for some reason - an extra gain stage, perhaps?

3. Frenster

Frenster Put your Rock Face on!

I miss mine...if I knew then what I know now, I wouldn't have sold it. Great clean sound, and if you put a lower gain tube in v1, it makes the lead channel much more useable.

But heck, I just scored a new Matchless 30/15! I've got nothing to complain about.

Woohoo!

4. bluessyndicate

bluessyndicate Member

one of the best fender cleans you'll find...like warm butter.

killer power tube gain by maxing the clean volume and controlling volume with the eq's....very cool bluesy sound.

the cascading gains can get over the top!

cool options for rectification: solid state, class a, etc...

5. archtop

archtop Member

I've played one for some gigs. I think I had it in the class A 30w mode and I really enjoyed the punchiness and warmth with 2 x10s

what do you guys think of the different rectification modes?

6. Cruz Azul

Cruz Azul Member

I've got the head and love it! I really wanna get a combo also. I've been tempted to get a supersonic lately also. These have gotta be my favourte fenders for sure. The prosonic really has a nice edge to it without all the harsh highs I reckon..

7. LavaMan

LavaMan Gold Supporting Member

I owned one for about 3 years. Really, Really dug the clean channel and used a robust pedal board with it to get some great tones...The gain channel was mediocre and I never used it. Sold mine when I bought a Mark IV.

Great amp for Blues...

8. mlj_gear

mlj_gear Member

I find the clean channel to be quite nice, but a tad dark for my tastes. I LOVE the drive channel. A lot of people say it is "over the top", but while I agree that you can set it to be over the top, you can also set it up to have great plexi-ish tones. Just leave the second gain knob all the way down and dial the first gain knob to only about 9:00. It's very organic sounding, and not over the top at all. The ProSonic has better overdrive tone that any contemporary Fender channel-switcher (Hot Rod Deluxe, Hot Rod Deville, Blues Deluxe, SuperSonic, etc.). Even when you do set it up for crazy metal mayhem, it has a more organic feel to it that a lot of hi-gain Mesas, etc., too.

I don't understand why they didn't put reverb on the heads. Same with Zinky's other Fender heads, and now the SuperSonic head. I just don't get it. The tube-driven reverb on the ProSonic is very nice. I'd probably at least try a SuperSonic head for a while if it had reverb. My bad back won't let me buy a combo, though. I actually have a lightweight 1x12 baffle that was built for my ProSonic on the way to me as we speak. I'm going to put a Neo in to shave at least a few pounds of of the 48 it weighs stock.

I think a reasonably light-weight ProSonic combo with a bright switch on the clean channel and separate EQs might be pretty close to my ideal "grab-n-go for any style" amp. Maybe with 6V6s, even. I tried a Zinky Blue Velvet 25, and it's close. I'd rather have the full EQ, though, and I think the clean channel could be better, especially with 6V6s instead of EL84s. The 50 has 6L6s, I guess, but it doesn't have a full EQ, either, and it's too heavy for me.

9. Ascension

Ascension Member

I'm glad to see a few others over here that are into these beasts! I have owned a combo for several years and had a head for a while but traded it for a new TSL Marshall. HATED that amp!! Went through a couple of Carvin heads and a Super-Sonic looked hard at several Boogies( single rec Solo 50, Mark III, F-50 ect) and a SLO 100 but I finally broke down and just bought another Prosonic head last week. I keep coming back to these cauze they are the only amps I can find that give me the tones I hear in my head;).

10. Cruz Azul

Cruz Azul Member

I agree with mlj_gear bigtime. I don't know why the head doesn't have reverb! If I can find a combo version I'll have my fave grab and go rigs between that and a supersonic combo.

My head is just the plain black, anyone own the funky green or red versions??

11. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

I love my combo but always lamented that the high gain tones sounded somewhat thin lacking bottom end, even with a 2x12 extension cab. When I paired it with a Rivera Sub 1 it sounded like a full, rich half stack.

Now it's a keeper.

12. daveS

daveS lefty dude on hiatus Gold Supporting Member

Between the San Andreas and Calaveras Faults
    Killer amp...underrated. A bipolar, sleeping tiger.

I recall when a buddy of mine heard the lead channel and said "THAT's a Fender ??...with no OD in front of it ???". I hit the footpedal and switched it to the clean channel and said "Yep, its a Fender" :)

I like what Zinky did with this one.....Has a few "quirks" but I don't feel that they eclipse the great tones available from this amp.

Here's a pic of mine in Lizard Seafoam tolex:

[​IMG]

13. stratzrus

True.

The effects loop is crap, and the relays need to be upgraded to avoid a loud pop when switching channels. The reverb also has excessive hum, but there is a Fender Tech Notes fix for that.

But it's a real workhorse that has great tones from clean to blues to metal. It's the first Fender that did high gain well without pedals.

14. VH5150

VH5150 Member

i had one and it had great tone both clean and dirty but couldn't get over the pop everytime you went from clean to dirt.Reverb had a hum i didn't like either.Other then that great amp

15. VH5150

VH5150 Member

I have the supersonic head and 2x12 and its a great amp,the dirt chn is just like the prosonic imo but much better on the clean then the Ps.

16. stratzrus

As noted above there are cheap fixes for both problems.