How Many Flavors of Distortion in Your Pedalboard?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Troubleman, Feb 16, 2006.

1. Troubleman

Troubleman Silver Supporting Member

Okay, I might be gettin' outta hand.... Maybe I just need a bigger pedalboard? There's a Keeley-modded Metal Zone with twilight mod for sheer paint-peelin' sick tones, there's an Xotic BB 'cause it just plain rules, there's a Fulldrive2 (blue one with 3-way switch) that's been my workhorse for the past couple years, and recently my Barber Burn Unit II made a re-appearance. Meantime back at the ranch, an Xotic RC is on the horizon. That's just the distortion generators in the pedalboard; nevermind the rest of the stuff. It baffles the other guitar player in my band, and it this point I can't even explain why, but all of the distortion pedals see duty over the course of a gig, depending upon which song we're playin' and which guitar I'm holding at the time. Is this madness, or do I have company here among my pedal-nuts breathren?

Peace,

Distortion-Junkie jb:dude

2. billygoat

billygoat Member

3 - Fulldrive with vintage mod for overdrive. Distortion pro for Rat type distortion and homemade 5 knob fuzz face (bias knob on the outside for cold canadian winters) for fuzz

3. Wooley

Wooley Member

If we're not counting fuzz, I guess I've currently got it down to 3. OCD>Shannon Distortion>Analogman Silver Tubescreamer.
    Although the truth is that for a lot of leads I usually use double Tubescreamers, so it might really be 4. Oh and a lot of the time I'll have my Beano Boost on the board. So maybe 5. But I can be pretty happy with those, a phaser and a delay. And finally, if I absolutely had to, I'd take my Strat, my Fender Bassman, and my Shannon Disotortion, and I think I could still kick ass.

4. jonleecourage

jonleecourage Member

2: TS808 and NKT Sunface

oh, and I guess also the Addrock Electric Smile is kinda....:eek: 3?

5. scottywompas

scottywompas Member

I think in a cover band situation a couple of drive pedals is not out of the question. I used just use my Boss turbo overdrive and set up the extra footswitch to kick in the turbo. I now use a home made overdrive which is tube screamerish and the Boss with the turbo setting on for heavier stuff. That will change in a few weeks as I am making another OD pedal with more gain. IT's more along a modded marshall type sound. That will probably replace the boss which has seen more than it's share of duty.

:RoCkIn

6. lcjc800

lcjc800 Member

10 (TEN):NUTS :horse check the board pics for the list

7. grego7

grego7 has left the building Gold Supporting Member

Hey - there's already an RC on the board in your pic!

What are you going to do with the next one - clean boost?

8. eric-d

eric-d Member

Right now I'm using a Chicago Iron Octavian (if you want to count it as a gain pedal), Analog.Man NKT-275 Sunface (or an MJM London Fuzz if I want more juice, but I'm thinking about trading it in for a regular Sunface - they sound almost identical), thinking about buying the Analog.Man Beano Boost, Klon Centaur, Landgraff Dynamic Overdrive. For my little jam board, just a couple of 808's (Maxon and Ibanez RI).

9. twangyt

twangyt Member

Gee.... right now that would be a Da MOAF (muff clone), fuzz factory, TIM, Mosferatu (4-knobber), a Wolf Tone Machine (foxx clone). I'm looking for a tone bender clone to add in the mix. Can never have too many fuzz/od/distortion!!!!!

10. Alejandro

Alejandro Supporting Member

3 of them:

Maxon OD-808
    Mosferatu
    Marshall Drivemaster

..but after read this I have enough courage to put the 4th

Ibanez Super-Tube Screamer :Devil

11. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I don't know how some of you guys do it. I've been playing for 30+ years, and pay a lot of attention to my tone, but I can't wrap my mind around more than two OD's at a a time. At least not on-the-fly playing live.

What I mean is, I use OD pedals, but usually I have three basic sounds...and go for the one appropriate to the moment.

1) Clean (can be clean with slight OD bite, but generally CLEAN)

2) Mild OD (sort of clean with more OD)

3) Really OD (driven, to something like what you hear on Claptons "From the Cradle"

There is of course, a third one...which would be both OD pedals on together, stacked.

To complicate it even more, on all of my amps I have a footswitchable "lead channel" which would be OD number 4.

In practice though, I either generally stick to stompboxes, OR the lead channels on the amps.

I don't want to be thinking all that much when I am playing. I want basically clean, slight OD, heavy OD to choose from and that's that.

Adjustments made with guitar vol pot.

I own LOTS more than three, but at any given time I just have max two OD pedals on my board.

How do you guys do it with more?

12. ben_allison

ben_allison Member

I'm of the same mind set. I play through a Rivera M-100, and the drive channel is set-up like a JCM800, but with more gain. Currently, I have a Diamond J-Drive on my board, doing the "smooth" rhythm gain thing, and it has the clean boost as well. I also have a Boss MT-2 that I'm going to mod (in similar vein as the Keeley MT-2 mod) for times when I need absolute Doomsday.

But I can't imagine needing more than that.

If I had a one channel amp or something, I'd need to get a pedal to fill in for the "hot rodded JCM 800" territory, like a Tube King or something. So that would be 3 OD pedals. But more than that?

I mean, for example, the Fullrdrive 2 is different enough sounding from a J-Drive to "warrant" having both. But what's the practical benefit? Slightly different response curve? Mildly different clipping? It's splitting hairs I think, and the audience won't know or care. I'd MUCH rather take the money wrapped up in several redundant pedals and get another guitar, or amp, etc. That's something that might actually make more of a difference in the final product.

13. gtrguy17

gtrguy17 Member

Ugh. Right now on the board I have a COT, Eternity and Timmy. Sitting on the side I have a Tone Pump EQ and a FireballII. On the way I have a Crunch Box and a Tim.
    I guess I'll spend a weekend doing a shootout and you'll all see the losers in the Emporium.[​IMG]

14. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Ahem...
    Don't you mean "you'll see the alternate winning pedals in the Emporium" ?

15. gtrguy17

gtrguy17 Member

Ah... how very diplomatic of you! Thanks for the editing. As payment, please, take a distortion pedal!

16. onemind

onemind Member

I sort of laid them out last night....If I were to include all my current favorites, without boosts or fuzz...

Tim>T-Rex Mudhoney>OCD>Fulldrive Mosfet> I don't know....I'm getting confused and haven't really started to "stack" them...

17. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

How very gracious of you! I really couldn't...I just had a couple for lunch...well...okay, just one then.

18. Taller

Taller Silver Supporting Member

Anywhere is everywhere and nowhere is nothing.
    Right now on my board I'm running a Tim, into a Sparkledrive, into a Soul Bender.
    With the Tim, you get the boost channel so that's actually like 2 in one box.

I love the Sparkledrive and use it in conjunction with the Tim for some things, and by itself for others.

19. lcjc800

lcjc800 Member

it's on loan for now and sooner or later he's gonna want it back.

20. Wooley

Wooley Member

Well, I usually know exactly what drive sound I want for a given thing in advance. When I'm writing or learning a song, I may have a particular sound in mind, which I may modify as I rehearse and perfect it. I'll select the right rhythm tone, and then choose a lead tone, or sometimes two (allowing me to play two different solos, that way it sounds like it's a whole different guitarist). But I like to have at least 2 different lead tones. I also like to have a sort of clean boost/stlight grit rhythm, a grittier blues rhythm tone, and a heavy rhythm tone. But like I say, I know what I'm going to use ahead of time, and I know when I'm gonna switch to a particular pedal, so that makes all the difference. I rarely have to choose a pedal on the fly, so it doesn't become confusing to carry many ODs, and I think it really makes your overall show more interesting when you're providing a lot of different sounds, specific for each song and situation. This is just my opinion.