How many great Fenders per 100?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by digthosetubes, Jun 26, 2008.

1. digthosetubes

digthosetubes Senior Member

How many great Fenders per 100?

How many fall into the "definitely would want to own and play category," vs. the guitars that most good players would agree are not up to snuff sonically and therefore not really worth owning.

20, 50, 80?

And what number per 100 would you assign to the Custom Shop guitars.

How many per 100 are real duds?

Is it mainly the wood that is the determining factor?

If it is the wood, just what about the wood is it? Can we say for sure?

Education from you real experts, please.

Saw a fellow post that the wood matters more than anything and that even fine, handwound custom pickups WILL NOT overcome a bad guitar -- which he said depends on the wood -- particularly the wood of the neck.

2. XKnight

XKnight Member

Exactly 3.14.

3. gtraddict

gtraddict Member

Good question I am interested in the answers

4. jcmark611

jcmark611 Member

5. eric-d

eric-d Member

I agree - You can put icing on a cake made of **** - but you're still eating ****. Granted - most of the CS Fender's I've played - their set-ups aren't all that great for my playing style. The action's always too low. Not to mention - if the guitar is at GC - the strings are barb-wire.... I'd say out of the 100'ish I've checked out over the years - there were about 10-15 that were UNBELIEVABLE sounding, feeling, etc....

6. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

I'm saying nearly one .....

You understand, of course, that Fender owns something like 65% of the WORLD electric guitar market. Walk into a club that has live music, anywhere in the world, and chances are better than 1 in 2 that the guitarist is playing a Fender. That's a lot of guitars. According to NAMM, in 2005, 3.4 million guitars were sold in the US alone. If Fender sold 2 million of them, one out of a hundred would mean that Fender is making 20,000 great guitars a year. I think I'd run into more of them if that was the case.

Sadly, I don't run into that many, although I DO run into some.

The sales figures I quote could be off, they're from the NAMM website.

If you added "for the money" that figure would likely go up, a little.

Also, one man's "GREAT" is another man's POS, there's that to consider.

Thanks, Dana O.

7. drbob2u

drbob2u Active Member

Goes something like this for what's made today:

Regular strats 5-10% are very good guitars and about 1 out of 200 is a great guitar. 1 out of 1000 for a jaw dropper.

Custom Shop strats 15-20% are very good guitars. 1 out of 50 for a great guitar. 1 out of 250 for a jaw dropper.

YMMV

8. lostcause

lostcause Member

Love the stats quoted in this thread.
    Always the disclaimer YMMV or similar.
    Its to much of a variable. Most of us could agree on what is an utter dog but after those initial minority we'd all have differing opinions on whats great.
    I might be to easily pleased, I can find something to like about most guitars.

9. digthosetubes

You Dip.:rolleyes:

10. digthosetubes

Thanks, Dana. Good points.

11. Adams

Adams Member

Eric D. If you cant play with a low action then you should stop beating your guitars like they were drums or as if you hated them. Personally I dont care for Fender guitars. They're antiquated and their main design concern was only how cheaply they could be made. They still are. I can think of several changes that could make them a better instrument. I would care more about building the best guitar I could and not only profit . Yes. Its pretty apparent. I make a terrible buisness man

12. digthosetubes

Thank you for your thoughts. I am not sure I agree about Fenders being bad guitars. But I hear where you are coming from, and certainly Fenders were built to be made as economically as possible. Many of them, however, created a sound that has become irresistible to a whole generation of people -- and not just musicians.

I do appreciate your thoughts, however.

13. eric-d

eric-d Member

I'm just not a low action player... never have been. My calluses are pretty think and have a hard time "grabbin'" the strings when it's that low. I have a heavy picking hand too - so I guess you could say I "beat" my guitars - but in a good way.... :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jun 27, 2008
  14. alvagoldbook

alvagoldbook Member

Maybe it's just me, but any vintage reissue, american or japanese from Fender has always blown me away.

15. bluferbl

bluferbl Member

I worked in a guitar shop for 12 years and thousands of guitars went through the shop in that time. When a new delivery of guitars arrived and were unboxed, there were always some you thought were great and some you thought were complete dogs. Funny thing is, in the end, all of them were sold. I guess it comes down to horses for courses...just cos I thought a guitar was a dog, someone else might have picked it up and have found 'the one'. Obviously some of the dogs were bought by people who didn't know any better but I'm sure a lot them ended up as the 'go to guitar' for the new owner. Just my 2 cents on the matter!

16. prospectbox

prospectbox Member

Cool thread... I've always wondered about my random Fender collection. ('98 Tele, '78 Tele and '79 Strat). Both of my '70s are heavy as hell... but sound good plugged in. The '98 sounds great unplugged as well, for what that's worth. I think the newer necks feel more comfortable. I've had Callaham bridges put on all of them which really livens them up. I wonder if my opinion would change if I ever put my hands on a 'great' one.

17. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

Am std Strats?
    Out of 100
    95 will be good 3 will be awful and 2 will be flawless but not necessarily awesome sounding . very reliable though and this is a lot better than Gibson.

18. Troubleman

Troubleman Silver Supporting Member

Depends upon the "Fender" of which you're speaking - general USA production? Custom Shop? NaftaCaster (MIM)? Japan? Indonesia?
    Quality varies with manufacture center. You'll get a higher rate of great instruments coming out of the custom shop, and a higher rate of absolute dogs coming out of Indonesia, with the rest someplace in the middle.

jb

Last edited: Jun 28, 2008