How many Guitar cabinets is too many ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Dr. Tweedbucket, Jun 24, 2008.

1. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry
    I don't know if there is something wrong with me, but guitar cabinets and speaker combos flavor the amp's tone more than just about anything else. :bow ... and I just can't get enough of them!

I have a 1968 Marshall B 4x12, a 68 Marshall A 4x12, a Hiwatt / Reeves 4x12 with vintage purples, a Mesa half back, mesh grill 4x12, a Marshall 1965 4x10, a Kustom 2x15, a Kustom 2x12, a Mesa half back 2x12, 2 Mesa 1x12 ported, and 2 lopo line 1x12 cabs ........ :messedup ........ and I am now looking at buying a beautiful Dr. Z Best 2x12 cab. [​IMG]

Are amps and cabs some kind of incurable disease / addiction that will eventually squeeze a person out of his own home? [​IMG] How do you STOP this thing? Get married possibly?

2. TheGrooveking

TheGrooveking Member

An Alternate Reality in a Parallel Universe...
    No such thing as too many. When it gets to were there are these little paths in your house and garage that you walk on, because all else is gear, then you have reached a minimum inventory level and should start thinking of a larger house.

TheGrooveking

3. Lonely Raven

Lonely Raven Member

Hehe, I like how you think GK.

I'm the same way with cabs. I only play at home, and for myself. But I love to flavor my tones with different cabs and speakers. I've got two 4X12, three 4X10, two 2X12, and a 1X15....not including the combo cabs which I typically setup where I could easily use them as extension cabs if I wanted to.

And I happen to be here in the forums today to ask about old Marshall cabs. :)

4. traviswalk

traviswalk In the Great State Gold Supporting Member

Never resort to getting married to solve your gear acquisition problems, it will bring on a whole new subset of problems that you wish you never had...

5. cram

cram Member

I have 3 right now (2x12 and 2, 4x12) with another 2x12 in the making. I love playing with the different bass response I hear in one vs the other. I have a beat up cab that has old speakers in it. It totally nails the 70's rock sound. It's a beast, but I've carried it to many places because of the sound.

Tweed - you should take a photo with the smallest one you have on your back and then do some photoshop® work to superimpose the entire collection ontop of your shoulders!

6. eyeball987

eyeball987 Member

It's kind of like acquiring amps for their different tonal flavors except, you can use one amp that you like and then swap cabs to get a total new flavor! I am down to one 4X12 now but would like to get a 2X12 also.

7. BIGGERSTAFF

BIGGERSTAFF Member

The Dr. Z ZBest is a fantastic 2x12- you should get it ASAP. :)

8. John Coloccia

John Coloccia Cold Supporting Member

I don't understand the question.

9. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

When you can't even think about moving because it'd take a separate truck and a separate house to hold all the gear, then you've gone too far. Of course, if you never have to move, just keep buying and let the kids sort it out when you're dead!

10. twinrider1

twinrider1 Member

Just send the Marshall stack down here to me. Full visitation rights of course. And it will free up room for that Dr Z and then some.
    I'm here to help.

I understand the sickness. I just missed out on a Marshall 8x10 and was bummed. And I never play out. A 2x12 is more than I need, but an 8x10 would have been soooo cool.

11. mprvise

mprvise Member

8x10!?!?!!??! :eek: Now I'm looking for my next cab! :)

12. epluribus

epluribus Member

Well yeah...whaddya gonna do with the house with all that stupid furniture in it?

:)

13. jcoggins7

jcoggins7 Member

You only have too many when you have multiple copies of the same design that you don't use (i.e., a bedroom-only player owning 3 identical cabs is completely ridiculous). I'd love to have several different cabs with different construction and speakers. If I can ever save up for an Ecstasy, then I'll definitely need two different cabs.

14. bosstone

bosstone Member

If space isn't an issue, get single detuned cabs in 10", 12" and 15" and your search will be over, except for your needing about 30 speakers to try. (about 10, 10"s, 15, 12"s, and 5, 15"s).

15. coreybox

coreybox Member

He's had one before... I bought it from him :p

16. crzyfngers

crzyfngers Member

a 4x12 and a 2x12 stacked front to back make a nice easy chair. throw a cover on 'em and nobody will know the difference.

17. FPFL

FPFL Member

I'd say any more than 4 is really hard to understand no matter how you slice it - short of owning a recording studio.

Never confuse collecting for playing. Collecting is fine unto itself but the "need" there is a different animal.

18. imjustadrummer

imjustadrummer Member

I've never understood the argument that cabs are inconsequential... of course that is not common discourse around here, but the less gear inclined players, those not yet afflicted, are often easily settled with a single speaker.

I have just advance to owning more cabs than amps and, in fact, am considering selling an amp so that I can accomplish more with cabs.

I propose that the new standard be that the number of cabs exceeds the number of pedals which finally exceeds the number of amps. Add guitars for flavor.

19. Dr. Tweedbucket

I can probably do this :messedup

20. Dr. Tweedbucket

Oh yeah!! how's it going! You got a good deal, the one I am looking at is red and more $$$ :Devil