How many guitars is optimal for you?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by DGrig, Jun 14, 2019.

1. DGrig

DGrig Member

I've started assemblying partscaster last year and have been having a great time. I'm on my third and fourth build now but I have started to realize that I have reached the point of owning too many guitars!!! I am only up to 13 guitars so far but I simply do not have enough time to play them all and the layer of dust on some of the guitars is getting ridiculus. I've ticked a lot of boxes buying guitars and have a great selection but my dogma did not account for the practical limits of time in a day. In short I play my 5-6 fasvorite guitas and the rest just sit. It has been like this for a few years. SO what do you think is your optimal number of guitars that you think you could own a play regularly? I am considering moving some gear out of the studio and thought I would get some feedback or ideas before I start purging. Thanks.

2. Jay Will

Jay Will Member

I have 3 right now, but I might get another one at some point in the future. I’ll probably cap it at 4.

3. Magnets And Melodies

Magnets And Melodies Member

As many as I can get away with owning before my wife gives me "the look".

Right now I have 10. I made a deal with her where I can buy 1 per year now. Since I typically go for high end stuff, this works well for me.

Benderp, strike3, Coolidge and 5 others like this.
  4. Little_Wing

Little_Wing Member

I have 3 electrics and 1 acoustic and I barely have enough time to play those.

5. FractalGarden

FractalGarden Member

I believe the correct answer to your question is:

Yes.

6. C-4

C-4 Member

I love Red Bank, NJ! Florida now Europe later
    My theory is to have at least one from the four basic guitar food groups: Tele, Strat, 335, LP.

Any other guitars are basically up to personal taste. However, the four food groups are because I used to have those when doing sessions.

And, of course, depending on where you play, how much you play, and if you do live band work or solo work, your types and numbers may vary.

Currently, I have 3 different LP's, a 335, several of the guitars in my avatar, which are my signature model, an S-type, and an acoustic.

While I had a Tele, it turned out not to be a good choice for my current work. The three LP's include an R9, a custom shop LP Pro which has various switching options and a stripped down, basic Tribute LP, which took the place of the Tele and is used mostly for out door work and practice with the band.

I could probably get by with only one of my signature model guitars, the LP's, the 335, and the S-type, however.

Your number of guitars owned is going to be based on how many you personally feel comfortable having, not on a consensus from TGP.

7. Badtone

Badtone Supporting Member

If N is the number of guitars you have, the optimal number is N+1... This is known as the Ideal GAS Law....

But seriously I've pared down in the past to 6 plus 2 that are sentimental keepers, but then the inevitable occurs, and back at 13 now...

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
  8. erikzen

erikzen Member

I have 6 guitars that all scratch a different itch but with some duplication, so I'll say 5. They include a Strat, Tele, LP Special (2 P90s), Epiphone Flamekat (semi hollow with 2 mini humbuckers), Gibson Blueshawk (semi hollow with 2 "Blues 90" pickups), and a 1967 Fender Coronado II (2 Dearmond pickups, hollow body). I'd say it's probably about 1 guitar too many. Both the Blueshawk and the Flame Kat are decent, fun guitars to play but I picked them up to try and scratch my Gibson semi-hollow itch but I still want more of an ES-335 type. I'd gladly sell both of them to fund a 335 but I'd still be well short of the funds needed to get a proper Gibson. I'll probably sell the Flamekat in the short term to fund a new amp.

I also have a "project" guitar, which is a Mustang comprised of a 1966 body, bridge and pickups, a 1976 neck and 70s Telecaster Deluxe tuners. This will eventually scratch my short scale itch but the guitar needs some work. The wiring is junk although he pickups work and the body is in terrible shape. The neck is fantastic though so I'm eventually going to get into better playing shape.

I actually have a couple of other cheap guitars that don't get played. That's partly due to quality, and I will be offloading these soon, but even if they were great guitars, I can't see having more than 6 and actually being able to play and maintain them with any kind of regularity.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
  9. Drew66

Drew66 Member

This is the correct answer

10. Bryan T

Bryan T guitar owner Silver Supporting Member

One acoustic, one electric, one electric lap steel, one acoustic lap steel, and one bass is my ideal. I'm genuinely happier with the "one of each" approach. That said, I currently have 3 electrics and don't know how I'd cut down. I did just put an acoustic up for sale to get back down to one.

11. DGrig

DGrig Member

Okay, I've gotten several of the the "just one more" suggestions so I will restate a filter I tried to add: What is your optimal number of guitars that you could play regularly? I am not asking how many you would like to own, I am asking how many you could realisticly play on a regular basis.

12. jamester

jamester Silver Supporting Member

I would never want more than a handful or so...as it is I have a couple #1's, and the others don't get played nearly as much/enough.

The thought of having over ten guitars means some will almost never get played, or else I would have to constantly rotate them and therefore never spend that much time with any one of them individually. That's not my thing, and I don't like instruments to live in their cases. I'd rather keep the numbers low and play the heck out of them.

DGrig likes this.
  13. Phil the Kill Bill V2 guy

Phil the Kill Bill V2 guy Member

I have 17. About 12 are gig worthy, the others are yard sale specials.

The other day I was looking for my Strat and I had to open 3 or 4 cases before I found it. So now most of the cases have duck tape near the handle with which guitar is which.

It's too many but I'm afraid I'll regret selling some of them later. So I keep them. Doubtful I'll buy any more....I mean it, you gotta believe me.....no more......

14. DGrig

DGrig Member

Give me a #.

superstratjunky likes this.
  15. Magnets And Melodies

Magnets And Melodies Member

I have 10 and I play them all, all the time. Usually 3 per day, and they rotate from day to day. I play way more than most people have time for though...... the perks of working from home..

Pretty sure I could go up to 20-25 and still play them regularly in rotation.

Benderp, Fenderesq and C-4 like this.
  16. Jabby92

Jabby92 Member

I have 4 pretty distinctive guitars now. A Les Paul, Tele, Strat and a new Kiesel headless. I really don't want anything else now. Maybe a nice acoustic or hollow body would be the only other type I'd like to add to my collection at this point.

17. jamester

jamester Silver Supporting Member

To me "a handful" is five or six, I suppose...a couple 335's, a couple tele's and a couple acoustics is more than enough for me.

Beyond that I'd rather have different instruments like a bass, ukulele, banjo, piano, drums etc.

18. cap10kirk

cap10kirk Member

Optimal for me is one acoustic and one electric. I do have two electrics though, mostly because I just wanted to build another partscaster. I'd rather have different types of instruments than a huge collection of guitars that would mostly collect dust.

19. sergiodeblanc

sergiodeblanc Member

20. customguitars87

customguitars87 Member

The formula is X+1, where X is the current total number of guitars :p

I'm trying to downsize a bit myself, I successfully got rid of about 8-9 a few months ago but have since added a few more.

It's not my fault though, GC keeps not knowing what stuff is worth and I can't resist the temptation.