How many have not bought gear online to avoid issues with spouse?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Riffa, Apr 5, 2020.

1. Riffa

Riffa Member

This should be fun LOL.

I myself have been trying to avoid receiving parcels with pedals (that I don’t need, but kind of want) partly because I’ve had enough problems with the missus as it is since the beginning of this darned quarantine.

How many of you feel my pain?

ultrasun and distorted noise like this.
  2. aisling

aisling Supporting Member

I work hard, support my family, pay the bills, and save for retirement. Nobody has the power to make me feel bad about buying a toy, "here and there,";). And I never say anything about the closet creep as my closet space contracts, while hers expands, nor do I comment on the shoes that seemed to just spontaneously manifest....

3. 3waytie4last

3waytie4last Unfluencer Gold Supporting Member

I fall under the, "How many have not had a spouse to avoid gear buying issues" camp. :D

4. guitarnet70

guitarnet70 Member

I'm lucky: my wife makes music with me (she sings), and as long as she can still have her toys (you know : women's things) she has never complained with me when I wanted a new one. Actually she tries to talk me out of selling gear to finance new ones: I should just keep it and get the new one.
    The woman of my life:p:D

5. RolandKorg

RolandKorg Member

I really don't understand the 'henpecked husband' thing.
    If she supports you, sure. If not, and your other household responsibilities and financial needs are met, what the hell? Obviously, if you're out of control and stupid about wasteful gear, that's another story, but extremes and stupidity aren't what this particular discussion are about, are they?

How are you defining "need" versus "kinda want?" And how much does she know about your gear? How does she know what you need? Do you have drawers/cabinets full of pedals you're not using? Is she economy-minded in general? No frivolity?

It's about balance, no? If someone's spending $6 on coffee multiple times a day, getting expensive haircuts and treatments and nail salon visits and buying $600 shoes, isn't that 'want' instead of need?

6. Riffa

Riffa Member

Kinda like the dictionary would define them, really. I don’t need a third chorus pedal, but I do want to try it and luckily can afford it.

How much she knows about my gear is irrelevant, but she’ll be out of a job as of next week and a purchase of this nature could piss her off, understandably. Neither of these two facts are likely going to keep me from getting a pedal right now, but it would be great if we didn’t have an argument over it. We’ve been bickering over a lot of things for the past few weeks!

Anyway, the good thing about this distancing period is, as some of us have discussed in other threads, is we have had more time to practice and have fun with all the gear we’ve got!

monty likes this.
  7. peter_heijnen

peter_heijnen Member

As long as i restrict myself to one pedal for each five fashion artices she buys, whether that is shoes or clothes, i'm perfectly save.

I encourage her to buy lots of fashion. :p

8. chankgeez

chankgeez Member

My mail-order bride is perfectly fine with me buying stuff online. :eek: ;):D

9. Riffa

Riffa Member

You see, what doesn’t help in my household is that she’s rather frugal. So am I, really, but you know how it is with pedals :D

10. thomas4th

thomas4th Member

It's weird how many of y'all seem to talk about your spouses as if they were some kind of adversary.

11. Riffa

Riffa Member

You’re clearly not married :rotflmao

12. eltorrero

eltorrero Member

No problem here. I build slowly but carefully minded my 3 pedalboards. First one finished and for the other two I need two pedals for each to complete them. I keep my mind clean by buying only the thing that I have listened and makes my heart beat fast. Another restriction is that I buy 2 pedals and in a year max and always brand new. Hopefully next year my journey will come to an end. The solution is not buying in order to try something and don’t buy before you try.

Simon likes this.
  13. GeorgeNada

GeorgeNada Member

No issues here, as long as the bills are being paid, kids being clothed, retirements being saved for, house and cars are maintained, she buys what she wants and I buy what I want.

14. Help!I'maRock!

Help!I'maRock! Member

Global pandemic, markets falling, businesses failing, people out of work. Let's buy some gear! :facepalm

GT100, bobluke, MuffFuzz and 11 others like this.
  15. captaincoconut

captaincoconut Member

This thread is just missing some boomer dad jokes.

16. Johnny Fuzz

Johnny Fuzz Member

What I do is I always tell her I got a great deal. Like ”can you believe it, it was less than half of what it costs new? And I made a killing selling that other pedal last week!” And now I can also throw in some BS about supporting a small local business. It works like 60% of the time, every time.

17. Jamie_Mitchell

Jamie_Mitchell Member

just curious, always taking input on this.
    is it that bad?

Jabberwocky likes this.
  18. ToneDeVille

ToneDeVille Supporting Member

No issues here. My spouse doesn't care what I buy as long as it's something I need and am not just impulse buying. And I am the same with her.

that's how I ended up with 317 guitars, 87 amps, and 74 pedals.

19. TheSpricket

TheSpricket Member

I've sold guitars at a big store for several years and I get that rejection all the time. From all kinds of guys, young old rich and poor. "Sorry man, I want it but she'll kill me!" As a single free wheeling philanderer I have to laugh at it but I understand the dynamic of every relationship is different. Especially in how money is dealt with.

If you've ever seen a divorce play out it makes a lot of sense. If you're scoffing at this guy cut him a little slack. That ring means, in most cases, those 3 chorus pedals are hers as well. So I totally empathize here, and I hope you can quench your thirst of gear but also keep things light with your ol' lady.

And if it helps, as a single free wheeling philanderer who's stuck at home with his three single male roommates, I'm jealous you have the company

2pods, Calebz, arpegadream and 4 others like this.
  20. david57strat

david57strat Member

I am happily divorced, so I don't have these issues.

As long as I'm responsibly paying my bills, if I want a pedal, or something else that I can afford, I'm going to buy it. There's no discussion, bargaining, guilt trips, mind games, or rationalizing necessary.