• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

How many hours per week do you play/practice?

How many hours per week do you play/practice?

• 1 or less

• 2 -3

• 4 - 5

• 6 - 9

• 10 - 14

• 15 - 19

• 20 -29

• 30 - 39

• 40 - 49

• 50 more

Results are only viewable after voting.

Down and Out in NYC

Platinum Supporting Member
Lets see. 3 hours a week with the boys in the band.
3 to 6 hours jamming with the bass player. I'd guess
5 to 10 hours a week on top of that. So that would be
anywhere from 11 to 21 hours a week. I voted 6 to 9
before I broke it down.

AudioEcstasy

I used to pull 6-8 hours a day when I was first learning, but now that I'm touring and busy running my production company I don't get to or need as many practice hours. Still love to go into the woodshed though!

byrdparis

6 hours a day was something of the ordinary for me for years and years!
today i've got a family to care about.. 6-9 hours seems like a great deal!

craigoslo

I am busy with family and work and don't play as much as I used to. I play about an hour a day while working (teaching) 2-3 hours once a week with the band. On top of that, I try to get 30 min, 4-5 days a week of focused practice on whatever I am preparing for at any given time. If I can do that, then I am satisfied.

Porrig

I get at least 30 - 45 minutes every day of unstructured practice, mostly in the evenings when everyone else is in bed. That, plus band practice and gigging puts it in the 6-9 hour bracket.

Sidmore

no talent hack
Gold Supporting Member
M-F it's about 15-20 min of noodling on the last song I heard in the car or whatever is stuck in my head, it really helps me de-stress and I miss it if I don't. Weekends I like to get a solid 30min+ each day. I'm not in a band and I play purely for the enjoyment of it; there's just something very satisfying about being able to make some of the sounds I've heard coming out of my radio and even more so have others recognize & appreciate it sometimes too.

27sauce

I'm on stage for about 12-15 hours a week, then theres the weekly 2 hour rehearsal. At home, Monday and Tuesday, probably an hour or two. Then maybe an hour or two of doodle time throughout the week, during the day. So, yeah, about 20 hours. I try NOT to play on Sundays, but that doesn't always happen.

The bear

Between 20-29, sometimes more for sure-don't keep track.
This is not including teaching.

BIlespaul

I play about a hour a day. I noodle around for the first portion though, until I'm convinced that I'm still terrible. Then I get to work on actually doing something about that.

Peteyvee

Premium Platinum Member
Not as much as I used to, that's for sure. For years, I was playing 6 nights a week. Now we play out about once every two weeks and I rarely do a structured routine unless I'm learning a new song. What I'll do is put the radio on and play along for a few hours on Saturday and Sunday or figure out TV commercial jingles if I'm watching TV. That's great ear training practice too...

The other guitar player in my band jokes that these days it takes me 2 hours to warm up and then I'm only good for two sets... :rotflmao He's wrong, but it's not that far from the truth...

jo2012

3 Hours a weekday... 5 per day on the weekends. I don't have a set time. I just go for it wheneverIi feel like it.

Simto

I voted 4-5... way too little.. i used to play around six or seven hours a day.

ScottySevins

I'm def in the 4-5 hrs a week range try to do about an hr a night however sometimes more. On weekends can be the same hr or more depending. However I wouldn't call it practicing. It's usually me working out song ideas. I never sit and learn covers or anything, never have.

bluesjuke

Disrespected Elder
I'm in the 20-29 hour range.
If work is heavy it's sometimes less but rarely.
Guitstr is in my hands most of time when I'm home.
There are many weeks that I do a marathon weekend though and exceed this going into the 30+ range easily.

Trending Topics