• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

How many medium /up tempo standards ?

vhollund

...do you know. That you have learned the theme of and which ?
If there are many then just mention the ones you like best or get to play most

I'm on a mission to get all that fast grooving stuff owned once and for all.

vhollund

cool

all of me ,solar, all the things, are fairly down tempo songs

But definitely : blues , rhythm, donna lee (we don't play it that much here but it's just one of those benchmark songs...) , mrs jones (popular)
The song Nardis (is very popular in jams here), oleo... I'll see if i can think of some more

I usually just interpretate the chords with the real-book or ireal app , but I now I'm gone to war on having some fast themes and better fast rhythm / chordal ideas.

More inputs please :)

vhollund

Thank you but that's not what i'm asking about. What I would really like to hear about, is your personal preferences , fast themes you know best , get to play at jams most...

PhilosoPhrets

Silver Supporting Member
Straight No Chaser and Well, You Needn't can be a fun tunes when played uptempo. Four by Miles is always cool played uptempo.

steven.rogers

I usually play ATTYA and solar pretty up. Every once in a while I'll play the original, old Milestones pretty up if I'm feeling up to it. That tune also works well played medium. Miss Jones is another common one, sometimes I'll Remember April and No Greater Love, It Could Happen to You, Au Privave, My Shining Hour, Stablemates, UMMG, of course Cherokee, Billy boy.

A lot of the time I'll play those up or medium just depending on my mood.

guitarjazz

Gold Supporting Member
Thank you but that's not what i'm asking about. What I would really like to hear about, is your personal preferences , fast themes you know best , get to play at jams most...
Cool Blues
Bloomdido
Relaxin' At the Camarillo
Thriving On a Riff
Cheryl
Scrapple From the Apple
Donna Lee
Confirmation
Moose the Mooch
Yardbird Suite
Au Privave
Billie's Bounce
Jazz standards!

vhollund

You are not a specifically a Charlie Parker fan by any chance ? ;)
Which of those song do you get to play most at jams ?

vhollund

Yes , I can see how that is confusing
Just meant fast to "very fast" songs really
I think even medium-up swing starts at 160 bpm

As some of you have pointed out, Songs that are slower of origin, can be on the fast list too.

Thank you for your inputs so far

Last edited:

Guitardave

Hmmm....I'm more of a blueser than a jazzer so mine are a little on the simplistic side of things which tend to work well for "jams".

Here's a couple that often work well at faster tempos:

Comin' Home Baby
Canteloupe Island
Four
Sudden Samba
Sunny

The bear

Impressions, Giant Steps, countdown, My shining hour, pentup house, oleo,what is this thing called love, I hear a rhapsody, you and the night and the music, everything I love, four, solar, all the things, woody'n you, Aiergin, minority, straight no chaser, Mr.PC, groovin high, donna lee, inner urge, black Nile, I love you, love for sale are some tunes I like to play up.

Trevordog

I think any jazz guitarist should be able to play any of the tunes here that are above 300bpm:http://www.ralphpatt.com/Backing.html
Because the accompaniment is comparatively straight, you've got to play very inside on these tunes, which is great practice.
Then, when I play with real musicians who can burn, I can really open up...

Trending Topics