How many mix speakers in a 4x12?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by kingsxman, Jun 26, 2006.

1. kingsxman

kingsxman Silver Supporting Member

Just curious as to how many people actually mix speakers (by choice) in a 4x12 configuration? If you do...how do you mix them? X pattern? Top and bottom?

Good idea? Bad idea?

I know my Avatar 2x12 cab had a Vintage 30 and a G12H30 in it and sounded good. I'm debating on a 4x12 cab and might want to mix Budda Phatman speakers with english Vintage 30's.

2. trower

trower Silver Supporting Member

Interesting question, I used to run 2 vintage 30's, an 80 and a 65 watt in my 4x12, not by design. I stereoed the jack and ran the 30's together, they were punchier and the other side was brighter and a bit more mid heavy. It never occurred to me to try 4 different speakers...again, an interesting proposal :AOK

3. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

I use an old Marshall and a Divided By 13 4x12 cabs. Each has Celestion Heritage G12H30s on the bottom and G12Ms on the top. The Ms are a bit quieter so that it doesn't kill my ears and the Hs provide a great bottom end.

4. kingsxman

Oops. I should be more clear. I'm talking about 2 different speakers. So 2 of one kind and 2 of another. In my case...2 Budda phatman (eminance) and 2 vintage 30's.

5. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

6. el34power

el34power Member

In my JCM800 i run 2 Green RI's on top, 2 Red Fangs on the bottom

7. kingsxman

How do you decide which goes on top and which on the bottom?
    Or in a X pattern?

8. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

If you want a blend use the X, but if you want to hear more of one better, use those on top.

Joe Bonamassa uses Greenbacks and V30s in an X pattern.

9. el34power

el34power Member

Bow! Just play around and see what you like... In my case the Green have a 97db sens and the red 103db so i figured i would put the lowest on top not to over power them...

10. 908SSP

908SSP Member

I have done all kinds of mixes. After at least a dozen different experiments many of which sounded terrific I came to the conclusion that you loose more then you gain. And I found those mixes became boring. They lost the character that makes a speaker identifiable and interesting. They ended up sounding hifi or generic. Now the only mixes I like are mixes in cones like a pair of 75hz GB speakers with a pair of 55hz GB speakers. [​IMG]

11. GuitarGuy510

GuitarGuy510 Member

One of the more famous "X" patterns is that of Bogners "Uberkab" that uses Celestion V-30s and G12T-75s(I think, I forget the exact name of the speaker, but they're the ones with the gray/black/white back that have a mid-scooped sound?) in an X and it sounds MASSIVE. I stopped using big cabs and I'm going down to two custom earcandy 2x12 cabs. One will be mixed speakers.... swamp thang and wizard... mmmm can't wait! :dude

12. kingsxman

If I get the 4x12 I may have to experiment. It sounds like its worth a try.

13. Slygo

Slygo Member

My 4x12 has Scumback H12-75s on bottom and M12-75s on top.

I am so limited for space that two heads are sharing two of the four speakers each (concurrently).

Cab has two jacks, so I wired 2 speakers (X pattern) to each of the speaker jacks - kinda like Fred does on /13 cabs.