• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.
  • On Thursday, January 20, 2022, starting at 7 pm EST, We will take the forum offline to do the necessary upgrades. Estimates are a possible 3-hour total downtime to complete the process. So mark your calendar to play your guitar.

How many MN3005 chips in a EH DMM XO?

juansolo

There are a lot of MN3008s that are labelled up as MN3005s on the market. Because you can get up to $70 for a MN3005 these days, so the Chinese have taken to re-printing them. They work but they're half the delay time. Hence you need 4x to get the same as 2x genuine MN3005.

Most people are wise to it now though.

juansolo

I haven't played an XO, but on a side by side comparison of the XO to the big box 3005 chips:

To my ears the 3008 chips seem to have slightly less fidelity. I can hear some high end breakup that sounds slightly displeasing to my ears. It's not inherently a bad sound, but I prefer the warmer, less compressed sound of the 3005.

This could be total conjecture. Maybe I should go to the music store with my big box and do a side by side comparison...it could save me some money and space on my board ;)
Loads of variables with analogue delays when it comes to setting them up too. In theory, if you swapped a MN3005 in a Aquaboy for a MN3008 for example, there should be very little difference sonically, other than it'd be a slap-back only delay with about 150ms of delay time. But after you've set it up again, it might sound a little different anyway.

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
If you check out the data sheets, the 3008 has slightly lower noise and better frequency response than the 3005 (and I mean slight). On the other hand, you have to sync 4 chips instead of 2 so there is more source of potential error there. Suffice it to say that in the same circuit, with the same QC, it's unlikely anyone can hear a difference between 3008 and 3005 versions. Use it and enjoy!

It IS worth saying that most modern, analog delays, now use 3205 or 3208 chips, made in China. These are lower overhead and poorer noise and frequency specs, and consequently the delays built with them tend not to sound as good as the MN chips.

juansolo

If you check out the data sheets, the 3008 has slightly lower noise and better frequency response than the 3005 (and I mean slight). On the other hand, you have to sync 4 chips instead of 2 so there is more source of potential error there. Suffice it to say that in the same circuit, with the same QC, it's unlikely anyone can hear a difference between 3008 and 3005 versions. Use it and enjoy!

It IS worth saying that most modern, analog delays, now use 3205 or 3208 chips, made in China. These are lower overhead and poorer noise and frequency specs, and consequently the delays built with them tend not to sound as good as the MN chips.
Yep the MN3008/5 are the best sounding of the lot. The Cool Audio chips (V3205) are an in production MN3205 a-like. But the run 9v only (MNs can run up to 15v for increased headroom) and are a little noisier. They're also harder to bias for some reason. Whenever I've used them I tend to put in multi turn trimmers for the bias, it really makes your life easier.

Another current BBD that's out there at the moment is the BL3208, they can run at 12V and are a lot closer sonically to an MN. But they're the same time as a MN3008 so you'll need two of them to be the equivalent of a MN3005.

You'll not see MN3005s in any new effects. They're just not out there any more.

olejason

This could be total conjecture. Maybe I should go to the music store with my big box and do a side by side comparison...it could save me some money and space on my board ;)
A side by side comparison would be meaningless without having each pedal re-calibrated by the same person before the comparison. There are so many variables that affect the way a DMM ultimately sounds the chips are a pretty insignificant part of it.

jj one

I have 4 mn3005 as surplus. I'd like to try converting a DMM TT 550 into a TT1100 and install my mn3005 on it.
It should be possible???

Inviato dal mio GT-I9100 con Tapatalk

analogmike

Vendor
I have 4 mn3005 as surplus. I'd like to try converting a DMM TT 550 into a TT1100 and install my mn3005 on it.
It should be possible???
Yes, it just needs to be calibrated. But It might turn out exactly the same delay time, or not work at all, as most of those chips are fake :(

la noise

Have you done that before, Mike? For instance, taken a 4 socketed DMM with 3008s
and put in 4 3005s in their place to essentially create a 1100ms DMM??? :huh

Granted, someone would have to supply the chips to do so.

analogmike

Vendor
Yes we have done that even on the old big box DMM, some came with 4 MN3008 chips. See my FAQ for more info on the DMM varieties.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom