How many od's/distortion pedals on 1 board?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by squeally dan, Jun 27, 2006.

1. squeally dan

squeally dan Member

I'm curious how many of these type pedals most people put on their pedal boards. For my wedding gigs I rarely need much gain. I have been using a Keeley Tubescreamer and a Zen. I am repalcing the Zen with a SCOD. I also found an Boss Blues Driver-2 that I had tucked away. It sounds better then I remembered and I think I might put it on the board also. I planned on having one low gain pedal and one for higher gain stuff, but I think I am goign to add a third. Hope it doesn't get too noisy! What are you guys doing?

2. pullagnm

pullagnm Member

Right now I'm using a Landgraff Dynamic Overdrive for my high gain, and a Zendrive for my low gain tones and I use a Timmy pedal to increase to volume and sustain for leads with either the LDO or the Zendrive. From time to time I will switch out these pedals with others, but these are my main ones.

3. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

I have a high gain distortion and a low/mid Overdrive pedal, plus a boost at the end of my chain. Does everything I can ask for. I've got a little GAS for fuzz (love using it on my Boss OD-20, and just yesterday tried out a little big muff which was very cool), and the little big muff may soon find a place on my board. I hope not, though, as I don't really need it and can get pretty much anything I want outta my setup.

I also find that most people won't really notice the difference between a typical fuzz and typical high gain distortion, except for possibly as a soloing tool.

4. michael patrick

michael patrick Supporting Member

I put as many as will fit. Can't hardly have too many, I love different flavors of OD/Distortion/Fuzz... Come to think of it, I can't stand empty space on my board either.

5. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

I have three and they all provide different sounds... Hellbilly= mean, Hellbaby = fat warm, little chunk, Hotcake = just great, clear sounding light to med- OD.

6. erksin

erksin Member

Boost w/grit (CoT50 Red), boost w/EQ (MDEQ), medium gainer (Blue Boy), low gainer (Timmy) - stacking combinations of boxes gives me every flavor of gain I want to hear.

7. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

That's the key, I use all of the boxes as different flavors of boost, going from lowest headroom to highest headroom (as a cleaner boost from the Hotcake would significantly affect the desired sounds from a Hellbilly, a little more sensitive). Combinations produce even more...

8. sinner

sinner Supporting Member

I moved some stuff off the pedalboard to make room for many boosts and ODs (got rid of my compressor, dejavibe). It's a big experiment and I'm finding some combos work better with certain guitars. That's why I did it anyway, to switch from a tele, strat, LP with Timbuckers, 335 with Timbuckers, LP with Fralin P-90s, vintage LPJr. and find the best boost and OD for that guitar.

Current chain

guitar--Fulltone Clyde Wah--Zendrive--Timmy--Boss TU--RC Boost--Landgraff DOD--Keeley TS-808TB--Holy Grail Reverb--Maxon AD-900

9. gitpicker

gitpicker Silver Supporting Member

The number of OD's on my board expands and contracts like Ophra's waistline - currently I have cut it down to 2 - Eternity for fat leads and Fab 50 for rhythm work - althought I can stack them for a third tone.

But I feel and expansion coming on (Zendrive, Timmy, Crunch Box, and KOT on the way!)...

10. enickma

enickma Member

G2D Cream Tone for blues, and doubles as a GREAT solo boost
    Keeley modded RAT for 70's/80's rock
    Monte Allums modded MT-2 for metal
    Lovepedal Eternity for ANYTHING

11. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

Here's how I like to run it. The guitar goes into a low/medium gain OD that cleans up well with the guitar's volume knob (COT50, DGTM). Then it goes into a higher gain fuzz/distortion pedal (Lovepedal Dragon; would like to get a MI Audio Tubezone). So there there you have three* sounds: Your clean amp, your OD and your distortion. Put a clean boost at the end of your chain to boost your clean amp, or act as a solo boost on your OD or Distortion sound (Luxury Drive).

*I say 3 because I have had bad luck stacking a med. gain OD into a Distortion pedal, so I just don't do it.

12. trumpus

trumpus Supporting Member

High gain - vintage Rat2, Mesa OD channel
    Clean boost/Low gain - Timmy
    Clean boost/OD - FD2
    medium gain - modded TS9 or modded SD-1

13. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Phil M touched on the main problem I have had with stacking several types of OD (OD/Dist/Fuzz), though I do it too, and have tried many combinations. Currently, I have been using a Zendriv (LOVE IT!) first, into a Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde. For a while I also had a MI Audio Blues Pro in there, but it wasn't cutting through enough.

Actually, before that I only had the J & H, and EVEN then...problems with both sides on. The main problem as I see it is when setting up. You check your sounds, maybe have one designated low-med gain, another higher, and combo of the two for over-the-top. Problem becomes when both on (or all three with the ZD, though honestly, the boost from he ZD seems to be helping so it is better with the added OD, for the J & H)...when you go for that over-the-top sometimes the combination makes the sound weaker, less volume.

It takes some tweaking, at the soundcheck, to get it "right", but in the course of playing you make sometimes those quick adjustments because even soundcheck is not the same as actually playing. When you then tweak the one, some of the other combinations suddenly are too low (or too high) and the whole thing is out of whack.

Worst thing I know, you are building up OR coming into a blazing solo, with this weak-ass sound getting buried by the band, or in a quieter song, you suddenly are way too high.

I minimize this a little by having a volume pedal as the last in the chain, sort of a master volume, but even then I set it usually close to full on being the highest I want to go, so there is sometimes not enough make-up volume to be had there.

I honestly don't know how you guys with 4-and up OD devices make them work well together.

New plan for me, using a Zvex SHO first in the chain, Zendrive after, and maybe possibly a Blues Devil after.

Interested in hearing more answers to Squelly Dans original question, but also HOW you guys adjust...for a gig, and then during a gig to keep it all even (meaning slight boost is just right, or combo is just right...etc.)

14. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

I'm using two dirt pedals at the moment, FD-2 Mosfet for low gain and OCD for medium and higher gain and for a outrages tone I stack the 2! I may be using a TB Classic too but it will replace probably the OCD so there will still only be 2 dirt pedals!

15. John II

John II Member

Overdriven rhythm playing:
    Analogman King of Tone (Red channel for a bit of grit)

Clean rhythm playing:
    Menatone Top Boost In A Can

Medium Gain:
    Morgan Miller Tube Killer

High Gain:
    GGG Standard Overdrive or Marshall Gov'nor

Solo boost
    Menatone Red Snapper

~John II

16. sandman

sandman Member

Stompbox, I feel you pain.My dirt goes Ultra Fuzz>CS-3>J&H>GE-7>SCP and I'm still tryin' to sort it all out.Switching beetween a Strat and a P90 guitar doesn't make it easier...

There's no definitive answer to this but...keep 'em coming! Nice thread.

17. B Vance

B Vance Member

I used to have four, (Frantone Hep Cat, Time Machine Boost, HAO Rumble MOD and Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive) until I discovered the volume knob on my guitar. I have since limited to two, the TMB and the Rumble MOD. The TMB is set on the modern channel for a pure clean boost which pushes my EF86 a bit more and creates some natural drive and the Rumble MOD is for more drive. I get all sorts of variety using a combination of these two pedals and my guitar's volume. All the type of drive I could want with little to no tap dancing.

18. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

An excellent point, and something I meant to touch on. I won't use a pedal if it gets in the way of me being able to roll off some dirt with my guitar's volume knob.

19. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Yes, excellent point. I have noticed on some of my guitars the high freq. rollof on the vol pot is too much (admittedly, the "cheaper" of them) .

I need to recheck my schematics from the Guitar Handbook, and other sources, and probably change out, or add a bypass cap to minimize this.
    But this COULD be some of other folks problems, when they read about "rolling off" the dist with the vol pot, they may have tried it but on a guitar where this rolls all the highs off (on SOME guitars even at 8-9 it is noticeable) and they think either they aren't doing it right, or the guy mentioning this has no ears.

But there might be something for me to get out of this too...I do adjust underway, but coupled with minimilizing a little more...just the ZD and the SHO maybe, pluss using the vol pot, I gotta try that out.

20. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Thinking again (always a mistake) I wonder if I am not shooting myself in the foot here.

I mean, the thing I LOVE about the SHO so far (just got it) is that it presents a really high-impedance to the input (so guitar straight into it), and low impedance out I think, but boosted.

So I haven't played with it enough yet, but played it with a band a week ago and loved how it sounded....the thing is, I am wondering if the boost is going to make it so the vol pot doesn't change the dist as much...

I guess I just have to try it out and see.