• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

How many of us have stopped buying digital gear in waiting for the Helix?

Prosvetlen

Share your thoughts on the subject, please, it's certainly interesting to analyse peoples' prerogatives. Thank you.

kiki_90291

I just sold off a bunch of my gear and bought a Firehawk and a Variax and thought I was done. The rig has been working really well in my new band, which requires a fair amount of variety in guitar tones (at least to the extent it makes things a little more fun). I was thinking of taking some of the surplus cash and buying a Les Paul or another "nice" guitar, but I've gone ahead and pre-ordered the Helix. There are a few things about the Firehawk that I'd like to change and the Helix seems to address those issues head on . . . .

standard24

I'm always a few years behind the times, because I buy used and wait for bargains. (Paid $85 for my HD500). If I find a bargain on a Kemper or AXE FX, I'll go ahead and buy. I'm getting old. If I don't find any bargains, I might just ride the HD500 forever.

lp_bruce

Silver Supporting Member
I buy gear when I need it more than when I want it. I'm not buying anything right now because i don't need anything (including the Helix). I'm interested in the Helix because it looks like an intriguing piece of gear and I'm sure I'll test one when it hits the stores. But I don't plan to buy one unless it does something I need that can't be done with the gear I have.

Peace,

Last edited:

3dognate

Hahahaha!!! At the same price--oh, you just made my day! Great joke!
I dunno, Helix might have set his price point regardless of what Cliff's original intent... He might be able to price at the top end of Helix's street price... But for what Helix is offering of in its feature set is unprecedented.

Steve Hotra

Gold Supporting Member
If anything, I'm waiting for the AX8 at the same price which will be much, much, much better. And I'm not a Axe fanboy whatsoever.
I left the world of modelers and went back to pedals a few years ago.
But the AX8 looks/ sounds pretty interesting.
I just want the effects.
I like the amps that I already have.

Prosvetlen

I dunno, Helix might have set his price point regardless of what Cliff's original intent... He might be able to price at the top end of Helix's street price... But for what Helix is offering of in its feature set is unprecedented.
I agree with you, just don't believe it will be that "cheap." The Fractal next, I mean.

Prosvetlen

lp_bruce, greetings! The Helix sure looks interesting and its connectivity is phenomenal, unprecedented dare to say.

clintmartin

I'm interested in the Helix, but after spending a year trying everything short of the Kemper and AxefxII. I bought a HD500X for $325 and a DT25 for $450. Since the Helix doesn't support the DT series amps as well as the HD500X, I believe I'm good for a while. Heck, maybe they will come out with a new HX amp and I'll buy another DT25 on the cheap!

BeardoCI

I'm certainly interested in Helix - with a decent FRFR it looks to be the ideal way to finally replace my Vetta and save some lifting (I ain't getting any younger!)
It should also replace a lot of my slightly-rubbish home recording gear, which is a nice bonus.

mojah

I'll wait and see what other companies do after Helix. Seems like there could be better compition in the sub $1k market.

jimfist

I never buy gear on a lark "just to have". Every new purchase is designed to meet a specific need, which these days is to do more with less (lighten the load and speed up my setup and tear down times, bonus if increased flexibility can be had). For pricier items, I'll give it a good waiting period while those who are frothing at the mouth spin their wheels and expose the good, bad, and ugly. On occasion, I'll buy blind as an early adopter, purely based on published feature set. I don't really care about getting a early adopter discount on this stuff, since I'll invariably turn around gear that is being replaced to offset costs, and I'll be reaping immediate benefits (of some form) that will justify paying the "going rate" for a unit.

Too early for me to even consider the Helix. Believe it or not, it may not have ENOUGH of certain things I care about, and too much of other things that are of little consequence to me personally. I currently have all the gear I need. For a pedal rig, the Helix is too big for me, and it doesn't offer so much more as a rack/control pedal that makes me want to even consider ditching my AxeFxII/FCB1010 "A" rig. If Line 6 comes up with a smaller format pedal with a lot of the same firmware design, then I may consider it to replace a couple of my "B" rig modeling/multi-fx pedals, but until that time comes, I'll be on the sidelines, waiting for the owner's manual to drop so I can scour the specs to see if there really IS anything in the Helix that makes it a better solution than what I already have.

clintmartin

I think I've grown out of the FRFR thing. I've tried to like it several times (I've tried QSC K12's, Alto TS112A and Atomic CLR) , but I keep going back to amps. I have S-Gear for recording and don't need an interface. Still the Helix looks like a very nice piece. If they add more DT function it would be tempting.

Reactions: Rod

rsm

I left the world of modelers and went back to pedals a few years ago.
But the AX8 looks/ sounds pretty interesting.
I just want the effects.
I like the amps that I already have.
Then the Fractal FX8 may be a better fit than the AX8, and it's available now.

I canceled my Boss SY-300 pre-order; I want to see what's in the Helix and the SY-300 when they hit the streets, and I can read the manuals, and see what early adopters have to say and do with them. In the meantime, I'm very happy with my Boss GT-100.

Rod

Tone is Paramount
Gold Supporting Member
For the $1500 price of a Helix, you are pretty close to the price of a used Kemper or AxeFx MK1 ...

Trending Topics