• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

How many of you are musicians...

SiliconEnhanced

first? Versus identifying as guitarists?

I find that the mindset of "guitarist" misses the mark.

Painting the picture is far more important than the how of it.

So many here seem wrapped up in the right way to walk; versus embarking upon a journey.

What say you?

Floyd Eye

I'm a bass player. I just happen to have a habit of playing guitar for my own amusement.

Shiny McShine

first? Versus identifying as guitarists?

I find that the mindset of "guitarist" misses the mark.

Painting the picture is far more important than the how of it.

So many here seem wrapped up in the right way to walk; versus embarking upon a journey.

What say you?
What you said.

I'm a bass player. I just happen to have a habit of playing guitar for my own amusement.
I'm a bass player who just happens to play guitar.

I don't like the "identifying" or "labeling" stuff. ("I'm a 'bassist' not a 'bass player'") I think I understand what you're saying- people who get so involved in what they're doing they forget they're playing a song with other musicians.

It was really recently that I figured out there are 'paint by numbers' musicians- and I don't understand that- that's just plain ol' not listening to what's going on around you.

jo2012

Im a musician. I do get paid. so i guess i could be called "Professional Musician". I play Guitar, Bass, Drums, Piano, Ukulele, Mandolin, and Lap Steel. And i sing

Last edited:

aynirar27

Double
Platinum Supporting Member
I think most guitarists (including myself) are Musicians in the way that software or IT people are "Engineers".
why would anyone want to be thought of as an engineer if they didn't have to be?:messedup
that being said, I think of myself as a musician.

AlexL

Well, I play guitar, bass, keyboards, some drums, used to be decent on flute, get paid for the gigs i do with my band, can improvise well enough, and have decent grasp on music theory, so yes, I consider my self a musician.

E.

gigs

I think most guitarists (including myself) are Musicians in the way that software or IT people are "Engineers".
Software people "Engineers" make a lot of money. More than most guitarists and musicians. And more than most electrical and mechanical people "Engineers."

And a lot of software people "Engineers" are musicians "Guitarists" as a hobby.

2leod

Re-Member
I would say that music is a language I get. I prefer communicating over striving for fluency, but that means I can't carry on as dynamic a conversation as some. I'm not one who drives interaction but I really dig being in the middle of a free exchange of ideas.

Floyd Eye

I'm a bass player who just happens to play guitar.

I don't like the "identifying" or "labeling" stuff. ("I'm a 'bassist' not a 'bass player'") I think I understand what you're saying- people who get so involved in what they're doing they forget they're playing a song with other musicians.

It was really recently that I figured out there are 'paint by numbers' musicians- and I don't understand that- that's just plain ol' not listening to what's going on around you.
Well, I am a musician and I am capable of playing piano, drums, guitar, bass, even a few horns. I guess I should have clarified better. I play bass primarily and that is the instrument I get paid to play, but when I am at home writing songs or playing for myself I am most likely to have my Tele my vintage SG or my Carvin hooked up to an old tube amp playing some Keef riffs or Beatle tunes. :JAM

guitarist58

I'm a arteest, lol.
:D :beer

I'm an "ex-musician". I used to play, played for a living for about 10 years. Can't say guitarist per-se (although that was my favorite instrument), since I played mainly keyboards at first (starting 1980...), and also played bass.

But yeah, "musician" sounds good. I was a guitarist, too :p

_

Trending Topics

Top Bottom