How many of you are musicians...

Crocker

Musician. I teach a lot, gig and record a bit. Full-time income. Teach mostly guitar, some bass, banjo, mandolin, ukulele, some vocal coaching. Gig with a cover band, fiddle/guitar duo, contemporary Irish band, plus I hire out for one-offs. Record for whoever will hire me plus my own band projects. I also play some piano/keys, and various other folk instruments.

direwolf

Silver Supporting Member
Read this while eating a filet o fish. A girl I met who could not eat gluten said she missed the filet o fish the most.

I gotcha - I'm just sayin' - I figure the reason it's out there is that someone likes it, and I'm OK with that

A long time ago I had a regular gig at a 5-star resurant, wicked expensive, regularly frequented by celebrities and politicians, etc. The owner was one of those guys who pops up in gourmet magazines all the time. I asked him once where his favorite place to eat was on his day off and he said he had a big thing for McDonald's filet of fish.

Meaning? People will like what they will like, even when it makes no sense.

So it goes...

JWDubois

I wish I was a musician. I spent a year in music school learning the difference between being a technician and a musician. In my mind there's a big difference between the musical technician who is competent at his instrument, knows theory, etc, and an artist, who may not even by a competent player by some standards, but can move people.

There's certainly no reason an artist can't also be a hot shot, many of our favorite guitarists are. Sadly, in my case, while I can knock out a few guitar and bass licks that can get some ohs and ahs from a non player, I know I'll never be an artist.

JWW

speedemon

I would say that music is a language I get. I prefer communicating over striving for fluency, but that means I can't carry on as dynamic a conversation as some. I'm not one who drives interaction but I really dig being in the middle of a free exchange of ideas.

Great response!:JAM

mesa/boogieman

first? Versus identifying as guitarists?

I find that the mindset of "guitarist" misses the mark.

Painting the picture is far more important than the how of it.

So many here seem wrapped up in the right way to walk; versus embarking upon a journey.

What say you?

I'm a guitarist :)

speedemon

Hmm,

I would say I am a "guitar player", because above all, I love playing it for it's own sake. I am equally amused by the sound of little licks and strums and exercises as I am with; playing an entire song, playing along with the radio, learning a new lick or style. Playing with other people is 2nd, and playing or writing a song is right behind in 3rd. My favorite toy was Legos, guess it's the same for me.

gixxerrock

I'm a guitar player. I live to play live and connect with people making music with my instrument of choice.

splatt

david torn / splattercell
Platinum Supporting Member
i'm a musician, full-time: a lifer.
i'm a composer, arranger & producer,
occasionally act as a mixing engineer & very occasionally am a songwriter.
i play guitars, ouds, piano, & etc, & do my own electronic programming.

Tiny Montgomery

Silver Supporting Member
"For me, I think the only danger is being too much in love with guitar playing. The music is the most important thing, and the guitar is only the instrument."-Jerry Garcia

gtrbarbarian

Gold Supporting Member
musician- guitar wasn't my first instrument...violin, then saxophone, then guitar and bass, then piano, then drums. My strongest instrument is guitar and bass, followed by saxophone.

I try to play music on all of the instruments I play periodically, and I have lots of cross genre music...and much of it is in standard notation. Playing different kinds of music on different instruments helps to keep me from getting stuck in musical "ruts"...

I had to give up my drum kit due to living near neighbors again...

:mob

gtrbarbarian

Gold Supporting Member
I'm an engineer. Software. Although my brother in law who is an electrical engineer says that I'm a "developer". We've had this argument for years.... No shame in creating stuff...

I think engineers are responsible for amplification if I'm not mistaken....:idea

Tiny Montgomery

Silver Supporting Member
I'm an engineer. Software. Although my brother in law who is an electrical engineer says that I'm a "developer". We've had this argument for years.... No shame in creating stuff...

I think engineers are responsible for amplification if I'm not mistaken....:idea

Engineers are responsible for a lot of things. The implication was downright bizarre.

Musician. Guitarist doesn't cover singer, lower brass, arranger, sometime choral director, etc. and all of that takes up too much space on a card. . .

I do identify as a guitarist, though. . . makes for a quicker conversation.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom