How many of you are predominantly extemporaneous players.

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Glass Onion, Apr 19, 2016.

1. Glass Onion

Glass Onion Toneful truth seeker. Gold Supporting Member

I just dont like sitting and learning other players. (Anymore).

I have mostly been a player who listens and plays along with songs. I find the key of the song by ear and just play whatever comes into my head. I like putting on random songs I have never heard. Sometimes it is jazz (most challenging) or blues (easiest for me along with most rock stuff).

I like just trying to find something that sounds cool.

Or these days just following a feel and riffing for hours and trying to let it unreel as loosely and natural as possible.

After 23 years of playing this is the way I find the most enjoyment of the instrument.
    Some times I get to a place where crazy stuff comes out that if I tried to plan it would never occur.

Sometimes, the best times actually it can get close to emotionaly orgasmic and I feel spent afterwards and just put the guitar down and revel in the feel for a few minutes and I am done for a while. I just feel overwhelmed and happy and satisfied. Those are the best days to me.

At those times it may come out instantly or I wake up and have been playing for a few hours and it feels like minutes.

Anyone else feel this way.

mikesjam and RGB like this.
  2. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

I did that for a long time. In the last few years my band started doing instrumental cover versions of vocal tunes, so I had to start learning vocal lines on the guitar. I've never done the "make the same guitar sounds on the recording" cover thing though.

NamaEnsou and Turi like this.
  3. monwobobbo

monwobobbo Member

i pretty much do the same thing. many years ago i was told by a good player that i respected that no one got famous playing other peoples stuff or sounding like everyone else (yes i realize that many people did indeed get famous playing others music but that is mostly singers). with that piece of advice in mind i've always tried to have my own style and to work on music that is my own. i definitely found that when learning to phrase that playing to the vocal melody of songs helped a great deal. i play with vocal melodies and ignore the actual song. if i can come up with lead lines that fit the flow then i call it a good day.

of course nothing wrong with learning others songs as most people want to hear something they know and not my original ramblings.

4. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

I play trademark hooks, intros, etc. but tend to improvise solos as appropriate.

Roe, NamaEnsou, gmann and 1 other person like this.
  5. Fishyfishfish

Fishyfishfish Member

I try. I hate playing "The" solo to a cover song note for note. Key licks and bail to see if I can fly without a net. Sometimes it works, sometimes it don't.

NamaEnsou, gmann and Turi like this.
  6. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

I'm pretty extemporaneous. But on songs that have a good hook/rif or a good hook in the solo, I definitely try to get at least that part close.

gmann likes this.
  7. bayAreaDude

bayAreaDude Member

Honestly, it's the only reason I play music at all.

8. Puckbucker

Puckbucker Member

Sounds like I'm on the extemporaneous page!

9. splatt

splatt david torn / splattercell Gold Supporting Member

i enjoy improvisation.

Steve Hotra, ChampReverb, RGB and 6 others like this.
  10. bobbyatomic

bobbyatomic Member

So is it just me or did anyone else have to google "extemporaneous".
    Have you got any sound clips, because this is completely alien to me, I enjoy playing, but I'm sure not getting out of it what you're getting out of it.

Memphistokid and Turi like this.
  11. quilsaw

quilsaw Supporting Member

Hmmm, understatement, right?

[​IMG]

Crazyquilt, rh, Phletch and 2 others like this.
  12. quilsaw

quilsaw Supporting Member

Must be doing it wrong...the guitar is for more than just (re)creation.

Glass Onion likes this.
  13. melodiusthunk

melodiusthunk Bronzd & Supported Member Silver Supporting Member

"Predominately extemporaneous"? Man, I can't even remember what I ate for breakfast this morning...

Glass Onion and great-case.com like this.
  14. Brutus

Brutus Member

I fall into this category. The fun part for me is capturing the style without copying the solo. Play along to the music thousands of times and you wind up doing it without even thinking about it. Years ago somebody complimented me for that and I was shocked. I thought I was doing me for everything, but it was me filtered through the original blueprint. That was something I was hoping for when I first picked up the guitar. It's easy to cop a style if you copy the notes. Not so easy if you don't.

15. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

I've done it my whole life. Every riff or tune that came my way just dropped in based on me messing with stuff still floating around in my head after not being heard for the longest time. I'm just not set up for copying solos or covering tunes with great precision. Can do it, don't really want to.

Which makes the process of studying jazz so interesting. Highly restrictive in someways (reading, precise rhythm, complex changes you have to know, scales, positions et al.), incredibly liberating in others. As in, if you can let all that structure, relationship, vocabulary and repertoire sink in even just a bit, the extemporaneous, mess around process opens up bigtime.
    MD

16. Headshok

Headshok Member

I am new to playing and actually have more fun looping chord progressions and soloing over them. I actually sound pretty good because I know what patterns and scales go together. Playing someone else's music gets boring.

17. Glass Onion

Glass Onion Toneful truth seeker. Gold Supporting Member

play

That is it. Just breathe and let it out

PLAY. AND THEN PLAY SOME MORE N

18. great-case.com

great-case.com a.k.a. "Mitch"

Extemporaneous is a very large word for someone with a slow leak in their head ;)

Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
  19. Turi

Turi Member

Yeah, I am, kinda.

For whatever reason, I find if I play call-and-response tracks, I play lines similar/the same as each other at the right times when I compare tracks, but I don't play solos the same way at all even if there are similar melodies and ideas/themes occurring, when I play the same song at different times.
    I wing all my solos.

On the other hand, I steal licks from people all the ****ing time, that's what I do.
    I unashamedly still lines from other musicians and juice them for all I can.
    100% down with ripping off other peoples licks and ideas.
    I definitely, absolutely, sit down, put songs on, and steal from people, and I still consider myself to be winging it when I spam stolen licks and ideas in my improvised solos.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2016
  20. Turi

Turi Member

I read his OP as if he doesn't like sitting down and learning what other players are doing, like from CDs etc.. he prefers to find the key and wing it.
    If he meant it as he doesn't like playing and learning with other people full stop, well, **** that.. IIRC he has a band though so I don't think that's what he meant.