How many of you are using a stereo setup?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by HCStraub, Mar 27, 2008.

1. HCStraub

HCStraub Member

I have been enjoying my new Ric and it got me thinking about some options for stereo amp setups.
    I am toying with some ideas for our amps and just want a feel for the numbers.
    Tell me about your rigs.
    Thanks

2. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Member

After studying David Gilmour's rig, I run a Motion Sound rotary speaker amp in tandem with my regular amp. With the rotor still, I get a bit of stereo spread. With the rotor loafing on slow speed, my sound is spread around gorgeously. With the rotor on high speed and some echo, I'm everywhere. Sometimes it's hard to play.

I can imagine you'd be pretty amazed with your stereo guitar.

Bob

3. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

I'm not, but for years I put a 2x12 (in mono) on the other side of the drummer.

4. buddaman71

buddaman71 Student of Life Silver Supporting Member

I've been sending the wet signal (dry is my Mesa LSC) from my Digitech GSP1101 to 2 Tech 21 PowerEngines and it sounds SO much wider on stage.

I have one next to me and my Mesa and the other on the far side of the stage by my bass player. He LOVES it because he hears me clearly without me having to turn up too loud or put guitar in the monitors, and we sound so much more balanced out front since the guitar (i am the only guitarist) is coming evenly off the stage.

Really cool little amps that are cheap and lightweight.

:dude

5. PSaulino

PSaulino Silver Supporting Member

A pair of Princeton Reverb IIs. OD pedals (2) mono send to a stereo Chorus, stereo Pan, Stereo Delay.

The 2 amps are plenty loud to play with even a kick ass drummer; they are also an easy carry (both).

Paul

6. Zandiego

Zandiego Member

I just set up a stereo rig, using (2) Snider heads (one w/reverb) and (2)Dr Z 2x10 cabs. I use the SKB PS-45 pedal board right/left outputs to the amps and it sounds great. The imaging derived from the stereo delays and chorus is the best in my experience. Plus, the separate heads and cabs are all lightweight and easy to tote. The SKB board has it's own filtering and patch bay so on-stage set up is quick and low noise.

I play my Tele, Strats and PRS Swamp Ash Special through this same setup and they all sound huge. The Snider Chicago head gain/MV is set to just get a little hair on the clean, then I use a Barber LTD for light OD and my Zendrive for more OD, or coupled with the Barber for heavier OD. The Keeley compressor, Line 6 delay and MXR stereo chorus round out the tone.
    [​IMG]

7. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

I've been running a stereo rig for the past little while. It's my JMI AC-15 twin w/ my Bruno UG-30R running into the Fulltone TTE, and some other pedals. Killer sounds. My only problem is that I have to keep the Bruno fairly low, seeing as it's quite a bit louder than the JMI. Killer sounds, though.

8. Hacksaw

Hacksaw Time Warped Gold Supporting Member

I've ran stereo for years. back in te mid 90's with the rocktron gear into marshalls monobloc amps. Huge sounding and love it. Now I use, until recently, gmajor split out from the effects loop into various amps. sure is fun.

9. franksguitar

franksguitar Member

I ran in stereo in the late 60's with a Y cable running 2 Ampeg Gemini VI's using a wet dry setup with a WEM Copicat tape echo and in the front main a Univox super fuzz in those days. Now I've run 2 stereo setups. I've done the split with w/2 mesas (MK III and Studio .22) splitting my Ibanez stereo chorus off my pedalboard. I also have used my Marshall Artist 4203 with a Boogie 112 extention cabinet and doing the same split using a Crate Powerblock as the amp for the ext. cab. where the Marshall drives the tone

10. Gtrman100

Gtrman100 Member

Are you running the stereo amp(or speaker) on the other side of the stage or close to your main amp? I tried spreading them across the stage a while back, but had trouble balancing both amps. When close together, it seemed like the only one who heard stereo was me!

11. Lexridge

Lexridge Member

I use a 90s Fender Princeton Chorus stereo guitar amp which has stereo effects sends/returns, with GuitarRig. It sounds amazing!

Lexridge

12. Crikey

Crikey Member

I didn't really think of it as "stereo", but for a while I was running the wet only output of my delay pedal across the stage to a 1x12 combo amp (usually a Peavey Classic 30, but originally a Bandit 65 :eek:) while my regular signal stayed on my side with a Marshall JMP half-stack. This was a simplified version of something I'd read that EVH used to do.

Someday I'd love to hear a Straub amp! I wonder if anyone in Oregon has one?

Crikey

13. ontariomaximus

ontariomaximus Member

That's similar to my setup. I build all of my high-gain amps with a line-out for the wet signal, and that drives a lowly Danelectro PBJ Delay then into a small 1x10 combo. The effect is so pleasing, I can hardly stand to play without it. There is something to be said for NOT mixing your wet signal back into the main amp/speakers.

14. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

I haven't got a handle on how to get the stereo image and spread to the band OR the audience. The sweet spot is too small; I get left or right domination, off-axis and they both sound the same in isolation. Are you 'stereo' users really hearing stereo or just spread around mono? (which is also a good thing)

15. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

How are you guys splitting your signal without getting tone loss?

I tried my 1st stereo setup with my Fender bassman and champ just to check it out. I used used the 2 outputs of the Maxon AD-80 delay into the input of each amp. It was cool sounding, but really robbed tone.

16. doublee

doublee Member

Not sure if this is what you mean by 'stereo' but am loving 2 amps at once thru a good aby box, ie Switchbone or Lehle in my case. cant go back, its so rich and 3-D. As previous posters probably already said, you can angle/position the 2 amps to better suit whatever room you may be in...cant go back, just one amp by itself is dead in comparison. The key is to get a proper ABY box with phase shift and ground lift.

17. wildschwein

wildschwein Member

I'm using two Peavey Studio Pro 112 solid state "transtube" 65w amplifiers - one is a late 90s black and silver model equippped with a 300w Eminance Delta speaker - and the other is the newer black and red model - stock. These units are bloody loud for solid state - they sound more like 100w each, although the older model sounds better and is a tad louder. They're actually quite valve sounding, especially the earlier model.

I run my front end signal through a volume pedal, a Double Muff fuzz, a modded Dunlop wah, an octaver, a compressor a Fab Overdrive and then a "stereo" digital delay. The "stereo" signal is split out of the delay to the front end of the two amps. The newer model amp is my wet amp - and I run all my modulation effects through this amp's effects loop - it has Fab Chorus and Fab Flange, Moen Shaky Jimi (Univibe and Leslie sounds) Fab Echo and a Moen Pretty Dolly Analogue delay. Most of these effects are set to almost full wet mix where possible - so one amp only has all the modulation effects sounding out while I play and the other has just has a dry signal. I also built my own custom footswitch so I can change the channels of both amps in unison between clean and overdrive settings.

How does it sound? Absolutely massive!!! (Oh yes, I know it's not really stereo - dual mono - or whatever!!!)

18. sega

sega Member

I'm guilty too.
    [​IMG]

If someone can afford having 2 amps, I really thiink i's the way to go.
    There is so many pedals where you can ''pan'' your effects for a stereo sound.

You feel like it's a wall of sound when you got a good mix.

I got myself a Retro-sonic chorus and a MJM fuzz not shown on this picture.

19. wildschwein

wildschwein Member

Is that a Boogie Studio Calibre 50+ that you've got there, or is it something else?

20. sega

sega Member

Yes it's a Caliber 50+

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii92/sega62s/Stereo.jpg

I bought it from a person for $700 and it has a $1400 sound.
    It's plugged into the Marshall cabinet and the sound is GREAT.
    Without the cabinet the sound is poor, really.
    I tought about changing the speaker (black widow)but it's the
    closed cab that also helps a lot.So much bass....

You own one?