How Many Of You Are Using the Browne Protein Regularly?

Uma Thurman

Been on the fence adding another overdrive to the collection. Currently my only dual drive is a Jekyll and Hyde and also have no BB equivalent in my arsenal so the protein has been on my short list of drives. I know the Protein is a fairly popular pedal but I was wondering if anyone has it and uses it daily or at least every time they play as their main drive.

Last edited:

Viper 900

Yep, I have a white v2 protein. It’s the best overdrive I’ve ever had, it just does something that other dual drives don’t.

petty1818

I bought one a few months ago and at first I was pretty blown away. Oddly enough, my opinion has changed and I hardly use it now. I find the blue side to be a bit too bright and it thins the tone out a bit. I prefer my KOT and Morning Glory to it. The green side is too muffled and compressed. I actually like my Nobels ODR-1 reissue more. It’s not a bad pedal, it just didn’t really do it for me.

LaXu

I have a DIY clone on my board but it's getting little use as my Strymon Riverside can do all that and more. The Protein is a good sounding pedal tho.

chiselsandfeathers

Silver Supporting Member
It was expensive, blue side sounded good but I never stacked it or used/cared for the green side. Bought a KOT recently and that's got my bases covered. Was able to sell the protein for about what I paid for it.

jlectka

Silver Supporting Member
It’s good enough to take up a good chunk of valuable space. It loves to get boosted too. Fantastic pedal.

Attachments

• E08EB6FB-A20E-40B1-B076-62144826752A.jpeg
    E08EB6FB-A20E-40B1-B076-62144826752A.jpeg
    144.3 KB · Views: 42
It's become the drive section of my board that isn't a fuzz. I've dropped everything else. I love it, it does two different things very well for me, and then stacks together brillinatly with both sides on for a killer third sound. I can get all the ranges and tones of gain I need out of it.

Andy S

I Love mine. The green side is my first ODR Nobles type circuit and I absolutley love it.

I stack the Green side into my Origin effects Revival Drive Compact ( which is set on the mild od side ) and it'a a killer lead tone..... almost boogie-esque. Liquid, thick and full of harmonic overtones....

I dig the blue side as well, but use the Green side much more. The green is where it's at :)

I fell in love with the Green side so much ( being somewhat unfamailiar with this " nashville secret " ) I went on a bit of an ODR type circuit frenzy and now own a Vemuram ODS-1 ( absolutely killer ) and also recently received a Norland ODR-C ( also a fantastic pedal with some interesting added features ).

On the Protein I use the Blue side as more of a clean volume boost in my rig and it really excels at that IMHO.......

Could easily gig with a protein and a couple more choice pedals on a small grab and go board.....

Tark2022

Blue tone is my favorite thing ever. Still dialing in Green. Blue stacks well with everything.

Uma Thurman

I bought one a few months ago and at first I was pretty blown away. Oddly enough, my opinion has changed and I hardly use it now. I find the blue side to be a bit too bright and it thins the tone out a bit. I prefer my KOT and Morning Glory to it. The green side is too muffled and compressed. I actually like my Nobels ODR-1 reissue more. It’s not a bad pedal, it just didn’t really do it for me.
Interesting, did you find that your opinion changed gradually over time or was it something more like plugging it in after a while and not feeling it as much?

Uma Thurman

I Love mine. The green side is my first ODR Nobles type circuit and I absolutley love it.

I stack the Green side into my Origin effects Revival Drive Compact ( which is set on the mild od side ) and it'a a killer lead tone..... almost boogie-esque. Liquid, thick and full of harmonic overtones....

I dig the blue side as well, but use the Green side much more. The green is where it's at :)

I fell in love with the Green side so much ( being somewhat unfamailiar with this " nashville secret " ) I went on a bit of an ODR type circuit frenzy and now own a Vemuram ODS-1 ( absolutely killer ) and also recently received a Norland ODR-C ( also a fantastic pedal with some interesting added features ).

On the Protein I use the Blue side as more of a clean volume boost in my rig and it really excels at that IMHO.......

Could easily gig with a protein and a couple more choice pedals on a small grab and go board.....
Green side is truly a gem from what I believe!

petty1818

Interesting, did you find that your opinion changed gradually over time or was it something more like plugging it in after a while and not feeling it as much?

It was one of those deals where I tried it a few times when it first arrived, but at lower than normal volumes. I remember thinking the pedal sounded fantastic. Once I got to use it at gig levels, I was less than thrilled. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a very nice OD pedal and I still have it and want to try it more, but I just felt like I didn’t bond with it.

caspersvapors

Silver Supporting Member
I kind of agree. My Visual Sound open road kicks the green sides butt. And the blue side is pretty bright but still pretty good. I use it for the convenience.

((TechnicolorSkyline))

Gold Supporting Member
Got one on a whim and it’s become my number one when not using my amps drive channels.

It was everything I wanted the Duellist to be, ditched that one in a heartbeat after A/Bing them. The clarity of the blue channel is phenomenal, and is the perfect low gainer for humbuckers.

killer blues

keep it coming. my trigger finger is shaking. i want a simple setup for my tele like this:
tele>comp>protein>tweed pro. how do you guy think the protein fits into this setup

Trending Topics

Top Bottom