How many of you currently have a compressor on your pedalboard?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by skunizzi, Nov 14, 2017.

1. skunizzi

skunizzi Supporting Member

I've gone years and years without using a compressor. I am now experimenting with a cheap one to see if I really need it and how much of a difference it will make to my overall sound.

How many of you don't use one? How many think a compressor is essential to a pedalboard?

Just curious....

2. Riffa

Riffa Member

Not essential, but definitely cool. I've got a few.

HERSCHEL likes this.
  3. skunizzi

Do you have a preference? Since you have a couple maybe you can point me in the right direction?

4. kdm1218

kdm1218 Supporting Member

If you've never used one, may I recommend an optical style... subtle versus big squash.

I use Mooer Yellow Comp, fairly cheap and clone of Diamond comps.

JB_SC, ScottB and cjm254 like this.
  5. Riffa

Riffa Member

They'll do different things, really. I have an LM-2 which is a limiter, so it can compress, but it's very subtle. For something a bit more dramatic, I like the Rothwell, which can be subtle, too, but will squish like mad if you want it to.

MIM#1 likes this.
  6. sonichronic

sonichronic Supporting Member

experimenting with a cheap one isn't the way to do it.
    cheap compressors can be a pain... (unless you are going for that sound)

I would say they are not essential but they are just as essential as any tone sweetening pedal, whether it be a boost or EQ.
    I have two compressors on my board. I absolutely love them.

there are many reasons to use them.
    to boost your front end of amp or other drives
    even out your picking and dynamics (blend knobs will help retain some dynamics if that is important to you)
    you can use it as a limiter at the end of your signal or end of your drives to even out the volume of your drives or give a 'cap' to the volume to kinda act like power tubes do to a preamp
    if you think about it how they are used in the studio on almost every recorded track... they help grab your sound and find it's place in the mix, along with EQ's they help limit the frequency range your guitar embodies and with certain types and kinds of compressors you can use the attack and release times to react to a certain part you are playing. sometimes people will even use two compressors at two different very subtle settings to help tame attack but retain it as well.
    its a very deep subject... as im sure you have read.

this is very informative:

71strat, huw and Drewthemusical like this.
  7. Drewthemusical

Drewthemusical Member

I don't think that a comp is essential for any pedalboard, but it is for mine. I keep it on all the time, and I use it for subtle compression that sort of simulates the response of a cranked up amp at lower volumes. It also makes my pedals sound more consistent through almost any amp, mine or backline.

If you're looking for something cheap and good, I'd highly recommend the Mooer Yellow Comp. It punches well above its weight, and can be found pretty easily in the $50-60 range. It's not only a fantastic comp for the money, but it's a fantastic comp in general.

8. johnh

johnh Silver Supporting Member

I play mainly single coils and have always used a compressor. It just seems to add some of the dynamic qualities that I would get from running my amps wide open - something I never get to do I nowsdays. A couple of years ago I started playing humbuckers more and to be honest, I never use a compresssor with buckers.

I loved the Boss CS2 - it always sounds natural and bright to me. I also quite liked the CS3 with its adjustability. But a couple of years ago I discovered the Wampler Ego, and much prefer the Ego to anything else I’ve tried. The blend control is fantastic - you can have as much or as little as you like. I actually then bought a mini Ego for my church board.

9. Rydock

Rydock Member

It’s pretty essential on my board. I have my amp set to a very “dull” sounding clean. All of my dirt pedals sound great through it, but if I want to do anything super clean, my compressor is necessary to breathe any life into it. I have a pigtronix philosopher’s tone micro and it has a treble knob to add a bit of sparkle, and a dry blend knob to keep it subtle sounding.

cjm254 and Frank67 like this.
  10. Frank67

Frank67 Member

I certainly do have a compressor on all of my (too many) boards.

11. SoundsGood

SoundsGood Member

I have one... I have learned it is essential to get the "Bob Weir" sound.

12. Maggie_O

Maggie_O Member

I don't like them. They take away the subtle nuances of my playing by evening everything out.

Seth L likes this.
  13. skunizzi

Are you calling me a dummy? LOL

14. Rockerduck

Rockerduck Member

I always use a compressor always on. It depends on the guitar I use. Xotic sp, Wampler ego, Mooer yellow comp, Boss Cs2, and a Strymon OB1; I have all of these.

15. morbid

morbid Member

don't like them. they remove the 'dynamic' side of things, making evverything 'even' , but i do like using them in amps, at the end of the signal. i tried the hypergravity which supposidly covers all the types but regret buying it... its off the board after very little use... thats just me though

have in mind that compressors have types
    1-sustain- lets notes ring longer
    2-squash- makes quiet notes and loud notes equal in volume
    3-limiters- helps over sudden loud notes not clip/distort

some units have ability to switch between the modes, some only do one ...

16. Wolfboy1

Wolfboy1 Supporting Member

Went through several over the years until I got an Empress, love that thing. It just makes everything sound better. I set it where I liked it and it's always on. It's like the bacon of the pedal world....it makes everything better.

Fretlessbaby likes this.
  17. mrpinter

mrpinter Supporting Member

They have their place. Evening out your pick attack and note by note volume is one thing; another is adding sustain, and this can be quite pronounced. And different compressors do different sort of things to your sound. On different boards I have a couple of Boss CS3s, and an Earthquaker Devices The Warden, which is an optical compressor and not a Ross type. The Boss pedals are more of an effect than the EQD - they "squash" the dynamics more. The EQD is much more subtle, and has the advantage of having a blend/ratio control. Both can add tons of sustain. I prefer the EQD but YMMV. I don't use them so much for the "squash" as for adding sustain.

18. kenoflife

kenoflife Supporting Member

I've used a compressor for years, a Diamond Comp. Excellent on many amps, but I just don't think I'll need it with the new Benson Monarch, unless I'm really doing more of a country-ish thing. For me it helped with evening out fast passages, but so does nuance of playing style.

19. mrwolf

mrwolf Member

Compression is essential for me.
    My large board has an optical type (Pete Cornish OC-1) and my small board has a Dyna-comp type (CmatMods deluxe Signa Comp).
    Optical works better if you plan to use it on your leads whereas the Dyna "squishes" more for clean tones.
    The CmatMods is overall, the best comp I've ever heard or used. Quiet and incredibly musical. I love it.
    I also have an old Boss CS-2 and an Xotix SP and both are too noisy.

20. c7sus

c7sus Member

I avoided compression for years too. Got turned on to the 76CD by the good folks here at TGP. It was the missing piece of the puzzle for me. It has been an "always on" pedal since the day I got it. I use it to clean boost volume and add sustain. If you have the bread it is an outstanding compressor and worth every penny.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
    Steven likes this.