1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

How many of you gig suprisingly large shows with just a combo amp?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by billyg121, May 19, 2011.

1. billyg121

billyg121 Supporting Member

2. Rob G

Rob G Member

I used to play fairly big shows (couple of thousand people) with my Vibrolux.
    After years of gigging it, the amp had to be serviced and it never sounded the same so I sold it, but it used to sound great. Whenever possible I would try to position the amp in the best spot for me, as I hate the sound of a guitar in the monitors.

A lot of guys I know use combo amps for big gigs.

3. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

Combos can be just as loud as stacks, and if you're playing large gigs I would assume you have a large PA. I don't understand the question.

4. mark norwine

mark norwine Member

The amp is for immediate stage volume. Big enough is big enough.

The PA takes care of the house.

The monitors spread it out to other parts of the stage, if needed / wanted.

5. rhinocaster

rhinocaster Supporting Member

I played the Portland Waterfront Blues Festival for about 6 thousand people with nothing more than a 20 watt Top Hat Vibra-Trem.

Sounded HUUUUUUGGGGEE!

If you were ANYWHERE in downtown Portland during our set, you heard my guitar!

6. stratocat63

stratocat63 Member

Not lately but in the day I had a lot of gigs opening for folks like Delbert, .38 Special, Marshall Tucker in this one place. Deluxe Reverb, 2000 capacity venue (guessing).

I always mic an amp like that no matter how big or small the place, but it was big fun to hear that little amp sound huge in the house.

7. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

Fixed it for you and I don't get the question either. I've played 5000 seat theaters with combos and with stacks. I found that it's much easier to manage the stage volume with a combo. It doesn't look as cool to some, but hey, if I can't hear the rest of the band on stage, I have a really hard time playing...

8. foureyes

foureyes Member

From 300 seat venues to 2,500 Seat ampitheaters/convention centers with a Vox ac15cc1. Plenty Loud. No issues ever with hearing myself.

9. Ampegasaur

Ampegasaur Member

I wish. Alas, for modern metal it still has not become a reality

10. teleharmonium

teleharmonium Member

The bigger the show, the smaller my amp. The big ones always have PAs and a sound guy with enough mics to go around, so I take a Pro Junior or my old '60 Ampeg Jet. I can make one trip from the car, just like going to practice.

11. sgv

sgv Member

I have played open air events to thousands with a vintage Bassman. The PA took care of the rest.

On the other hand...I'm currently completely on the flip side. I'm bringing a 100 watt Super Lead half stack to every show now, no matter the size. (Just because...) :)

12. jayjerry

jayjerry Member

The Edge plays stadiums with a Vox combo amp.

13. BlueHeaven

BlueHeaven Member

I saw Rory Gallagher(sp?) play the Toledo Sports Center with a small combo on a chair...sounded great AND huge.

14. ReddRanger

ReddRanger Supporting Member

Funny thing is though, the principal is the same. Most of the time sound guys want you to turn down to the point where anything beyond a half stack is overkill.

But metal people want to SEE bands with stacks, not Pro Jr's on barstools. :)

Though some metal bands hide the rigs behind back drops...

15. Luke V

Luke V Member

I've done several outdoor festivals with a Tiny Terror.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. germs

germs Member

Tiny Terror on a 2x12 = 18w 2x12...so...yeah. every show i play. which can get surprisingly large every few months or so.

before that i was playing a 100w 2x12 combo on a stand for everything. loud as hell.

i'm not sure i understand though. on a large stage, the amp is not for stage volume anymore. it's for getting your tone. let the PA do the heavy lifting and use my monitors for reference.

there's NO WAY i'd rely on just an amp for stage volume and reference. walk across to visit my bass player and *poof* no more audible guitar (without monitors). even using super-directional 4x12's, it's the same result.

17. shredtrash

shredtrash Supporting Member

I've done festival gigs with my Allen Classic 10. No problem whatsoever.

Besides, if you're doing large shows and using your backline for your overall volume, you're doing something wrong.

18. MartinPiana

MartinPiana Supporting Member

How about an AC30 for a 17,000 venue? That's what Scofield was working last time I saw him at the Hollywood Bowl. Miked, natch. And when I saw at the 200 capacity Catalina's, guess what he was playing through? Same.

19. T92780

T92780 Silver Supporting Member

Forget me and others, if Jeff Beck can use one (1) tiny Fender Pro Junior (other Pro Junior you'll often see on stage is only his backup)....well.....yes, combo can be used very effectively.