How many of you guys play keys as well as guitar?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by PedalOnPedalOff, Apr 19, 2016.

1. PedalOnPedalOff

PedalOnPedalOff Member

Just curious as I am having the itch again to get back in to playing piano/keys or whatever you crazy kids are calling them these days. I think it would help with my musicianship as I feel I am getting a little stale as of late and would like a new challenge I am playing in a cover band 1-2 times a month and think it would be fun to fill a piano part here and there.

cheers!

MrHarryReems and jjboogie like this.
  2. Coldacre

Coldacre Supporting Member

yep. always got a keyboard or two lying around for recording. loving my Juno 106 at the moment. I use a cheapie Roland Gaia on stage, surprisingly good!

MrHarryReems likes this.
  3. jazzguitar14

jazzguitar14 Supporting Member

I play piano 80% of the time when I practice. I like being able to accompany myself more freely than the constraints of chord-melody guitar, which I certainly have not mastered. Its also a lot easier to just sit down at the piano than popping a case, turning on an amp, wiring up the pedal board...

4. jjboogie

jjboogie Supporting Member

I've took lessons as a kid then stopped but always had keyboards and an upright around and always played by ear when producing and recording. Since November I've been studying jazz with a great local instructor. It's helped me out on guitar tremendously actually! I hope to start being able to perform live on keys one day soon.

MrHarryReems likes this.
  5. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Member

I play in all different keys, but I default to the key of C.

jjboogie likes this.
  6. captaincanada

captaincanada Supporting Member

I play keys and guitar in two different bands. I started out of necessity because parts needed covering and I was the only one with the gear to handle it live.. now years later, I realize that it has really kept me fresh on the bandstand, being able to switch instruments makes the gig a lot more interesting for me..

MrHarryReems likes this.
  7. slybird

slybird Member

I do, but only for writing, never on stage. I am not very good. it's super easy to work out chords, inversions, open voicings, contrary motion, and key changes on the keyboard, much easier than a fretboard. On guitar I revert to using bar chords (parallel fifths) too often, and I'm more likely to stay in only a few key signatures. In some ways I am much more adventurous on keyboard. It is also fun to get all those synth pad noises.

Boris Bubbanov and MrHarryReems like this.
  8. urizen

urizen Gold Supporting Member

I play spoons---- and washboard sometimes...guess I could try keys on a washboard.

9. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

Do you mean "play keys in addition to playing guitar" or "play keys as well as you play guitar?"

10. Loop-Master

Loop-Master Member

11. HerrRentz

HerrRentz Member

I've been playing piano since I was six.

MrHarryReems likes this.
  12. Multicellular

Multicellular Supporting Member

I dont usually tell people I do cause I cant jam on keys like I can on guitar, but ive put down keys parts, including accordion on many albums. I took lessons a kid so I have some subconscious knowledge, but just...you could say not fluent.

MrHarryReems likes this.
  13. xcycle

xcycle Member

Started practicing about a month ago...trying to keep myself relevant as guitar players are a dime a doz these days. Man my hands are cramping though
    Eric

14. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Member

Just be careful you don't lose your house keys or your car keys in the wash.

urizen likes this.
  15. Russ73

Russ73 Member

Started on Piano, picked up a guitar at like 12 and play both, but guitar in the band...keys teach you hat you need to know about music, Im glad I had the background when I was learning the guitar...

MrHarryReems likes this.
  16. mattball826

mattball826 Member

My bassist and I both play keys. He's better than I am though. We never use tracks. Tracks are lame

That said, we hired an amazingly gifted kb player. He don't want to play as many gigs, so for those gigs we omit keys.
    He said he could record his keys. We said no. We don't do tracks or BS accompaniment.

Win

17. markjsmith

markjsmith Member

I play a bit, though my guitar chops are WAY better!

MrHarryReems likes this.
  18. MrHarryReems

MrHarryReems Member

I played in high school, and took lessons again for a couple of years just recently. IMHO, it's one of the hardest instruments to play because you have to split your mind in two and play a different line of music in each hand. I'll never be great at it, but I'll use it for a recording here and there. They're certainly not as portable as a guitar, so I'd never play keys for a gig.

19. Gotham City Blues

Gotham City Blues Member

I wrapped up a 5-year stint playing piano in a jazz ensemble and now play bass and arrange for a big band. I hope to get back to guitar someday.

20. Don Roos

Don Roos Member

I have played guitar for many years but my father had a piano and later an organ that he played and I tried playing a few things. Gave up on it buy decided to get a keyboard last year and take some lessons. Really enjoying it and hoping to be ready to gig with it soon. Specifically learning some of our new songs on keys and working on some of our playlist.