How many of you have played a Groove Tubes amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by TheGrooveking, Jan 8, 2008.

1. TheGrooveking

TheGrooveking Member

An Alternate Reality in a Parallel Universe...
    I was wondering about this the other day. A friend stopped by to check out the Egnater Seminar head and while here he decided to put one of my Soul-O 45's through it's paces. He was very shocked as to how great the amp sounded and was blown away as to how it took it pedals. This made me think, I know I was surprised the first time I was able to play one, I wonder if people have a predetermined opinion of Groove Tube amps before playing through them. If you have played one or more, please list them and your opinions especially in comparison to what you thought it was going to sound like before you plugged in to it.

A few specifics:

I wish it had_________________

It reminds me of a____________

Value, good, bad or__________

I thought it was going to sound like a _____________

TheGrooveking

2. jb70

jb70 Member

i had a soul-o 45 1x12 combo for a while. i was using it in both my rock band and a 10 piece soul band that i play with. it was set up to get the maximum amout of clean headroom possible (i can't remember what tubes they were but they were all nos)- kind of like a low powered twin. it's a great amp to use as a blank canvas with pedals and it's very portable and lightweight. i got rid of it because, overall, the clean sound was kind of bland and i use the clean sound for 95% of the soul gig. for the money it's a very good value. i think i paid $800 used for the amp. i got rid of it to get a tone king meteor 2 and haven't looked back.

3. Gary Brennan

Gary Brennan Old cavorting member Gold Supporting Member

I have a Soulo 75 head, an excellent clean channel, Marshally od channel, and a great pedal platform, very good fx loop, and big trannys.

gb

4. Jet Troop

Jet Troop Member

+1 except I own a combo. I made myself a Dr Z 2x12 Z Best cabinet to run under it and it smokes!

5. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

the Trio, cool amp

6. Shades

Shades Member

I had a combo consisting of a trio preamp into a soul-o slave 75. It was a great amp, but it weighed so much that it was comical. It felt welded to the floor. I ran in class A mode, which burned through tubes fairly fast but felt and sounded very cool. the clean was very similar to a Blonde twin that I used to own and the mean was a nice crunch. I didn't use the scream mode much at all. It took pedals very well.

7. james russell

james russell Silver Supporting Member

I had a Soul-O-75 head for about eight years. Loved the cleans and OD channel. Huge, beautiful cleans with tons of headroom. Took pedals great. My favorite feature was the ability to blend the two channels via footswitch. You could get good crunch, but with note definition for complex chords. That sucker weighed a ton though. Huge transformers.

Bought it used from Frank at Zone Music in Cotati. Bill Krinard (Two Rock)was their in-house repair guy and he gave it a total going over for me. Loved the tone of both channels, and both together, but it was a loud powerful beast. I sold it to get a Tone King Meteor II which has a much more manageble power level and weight. If I could have all the features and tone of the Soul-O-75 in a lower wattage, smaller package, I would buy it. I just didn't need that much power.

James

8. bosstone

bosstone Member

Soul O 45; I wish it had more distortion. It sounded lot a Twin. It was a good value at the $550.00 I paid for it. I wish I had more pedals at the time. What I had did sound great with it. It was well built and the sounds it did have were good. It had very good bass for a single 12" combo amp.

9. Lex Luthier

Lex Luthier Member

I had a Trio preamp, it was a nice sounding unit. Kinda wish I still had it.
    I also had this odd amp they made. It was two separate amps in one chassis, each with its own preamp. I really liked the overdrive sound of it.

10. Dave L

Dave L Member

I´ve had a Trio, and it was a really cool piece of gear. I honestly can´t say anything bad about it, other than that I preferred my then newly purchased Rivera and therefore sold the Trio and all my other rack gear. But all in all I get the feeling that the Trio isn´t really representative for the rest of the Groove Tubes line, since it´s a blistering high-gainer meant to compete with the Boogie/Custom Audio/Soldano crowd.

11. BerkleeBill

BerkleeBill Member

I also own a soul-o-slave 75 power amp. I used to use it with a Voodoo-modded ADA MP-1, but have found that plugging the guitar straight into the power amp and cranking it works wonderfully. Sans a preamp, this power amp sounds great in both Class A and A/B modes. Cleans are reminiscent of the Carol-Anns, and the crunch is very much old-school Marshall style.

+1 on it being retardedly heavy though.

12. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

James, I'll bet that was my old head. I did some gear trading/buying with Bill somewhere around 2000 (and he was more connected to Zone than in more recent years). That was a great head, but volume control of the lead channel was a bit tricky. The sweep from too quiet to too loud was about 1mm. Bill thought he could change that, but I don't know what happened after that. It WAS a monsta though ;-)

I had originally bought it from Frank/Zone around '95. + the 4 X 10 bottom. It was my first 'booteek' (kinda) experience. Lotta miles and electrons ago.....

jon

13. james russell

james russell Silver Supporting Member

Hey Jon,

That probably was your amp! It definitaly was real touchy on that volume control. That was part of the rub for me. I was playing smaller, quieter gigs, backing up singer songwriters, and the Soul-O-75 was just too hard to control. It was way too big a hammer for the job I was asking it to do.
    I seriously considered power scaling it, but realized I needed a different tool for the job. I'm still lovin' my Meteor II, and for little coffee shops I often use an early Princeton Reverb. Life is pretty good!

James

14. Seegs

Seegs Member

I demoed a solo 45 at the Frankfurt Music Fair with a Suhr humbucker guitar and thought it had just about the best cleans I have ever heard...

I wanted one but the new ones were way too pricey here and everytime a used one came up I didn't have the means to get it...now they are discontinuted and I am told the Solo 50 sounds different and not as good...

I wish they weren't discontinued...

Chow,
    Seegs

15. scottlaned

scottlaned Member

Used to own one and played it out with a Tone Tubby Alnico back when I went for max clean headroom and used pedals.

I think it was one of the best sounding amps I've ever played. Then I stopped using pedals, and its pretty much useless for getting good tube saturation naturally.

Would definately recommend it to anyone who wants a med club amp for the clean sound. It takes pedals better than any amp I've heard.

16. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

You youngsters....

I've currently got a Slave 75, set up with a G12H-30, which is a killer sounding combination for a clean amp, plugged straight in, and a pedal whore. If it didn't weigh a metric ton, it'd be a very good grab and go gig amp. In class A, gnarly mode, it even gives up the crunch at not unreasonable volumes...

Before that I've owned a couple of GT STP-Gs, which are basically a master volume take on a blackface Deluxe with a padded, speaker compensated line out. They actually sound absolutely killer clean, but the crunch left me flat and both of them eventually went out the door.

I also owned one of the very few GT STGs, which was essentially a pair of STP-Gs, footswitchable with a power section that was very like the Dual-75. What this meant was an ungodly heavy head (it completely filled a large-box Marshall style headbox it was in, transformers rubbing against the top) with the ability to set up one channel for maximum headroom (12AUs or 12ATs into 6550s) and the other for maximum crunch (12AX into EL34s or 6V6s). But, the crunch sound still lacked to my ears and you had to disassemble the thing to set the bias-discovering that it was on 3 printed circuit boards just sort of stacked in there. I had some thoughts of modding it to improve the crunch sounds, then discovered that the original designer (Red?) had died without producing a schematic, so GT basically had no way of even repairing them if something went seriously wrong. To continue the comedy, I sold it, and UPS dropped it. Despite a LOT of bubble-wrap and double boxing, they managed to basically reduce the head box to splinters :( but they did pay to repair it...

I've also got a Dual-75 power amp, the guitar version, not the studio. It's also loud, clean and pretty cool (can use channel A or B or both with a footswitch, and can set up for 6V6s to KT88s on either channel for lots of nice variety, still have to open it up to set bias). I'm not much of a fan of preamps, though so I consider selling it every few months (if I could get my money out of it, I probably would).

17. TheGrooveking

TheGrooveking Member

An Alternate Reality in a Parallel Universe...
    Anyone play the Soul-O 150, or the newer Soul-O-Solo or Soul-O 30? I have a 30 and love it. Really is designed to be like a Supro and it is, this weekend if I get time I want to do a side by side with the Soul-O 30 to the Victoria Regal.

Getting back to the Soul-O 45, it's my main amp, it goes and I may take a DrZ CarmenGhia head and a 1-12 EVM loaded Thiele cab. Between those two and pedals, it's all covered.

TheGrooveking

18. KRosser

KRosser Member

I owned a 1X12 Soul-O 75 combo for a while. I liked it but I ended up liking something else more.

19. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

i've played one of the soul-o 45 combos quite a bit back in the day. lovely amp that took pedals well.
    i still own a groove tubes tweed rackmount box that has a trio preamp, dual 75 power amp and two SEIIs and also a 4-10 GT cab and a 2-12 GT cab. i got the GT rack because i thought it would be great in the studio. it is, but i've hardly used it at all in the last 7-8 years.

I wish it had a person that came w/ it that could tote it around for me and do tube swaps and biasing.

It reminds me of a marshall, fender, boogie, d*mble.

Value, good, bad or what? from what i understand, i could sell the whole kit and caboodle for much more than i paid for it.

I thought it was going to sound like a guitar amplifier. i don't normally get preconceived notions about how something will sound unless someone that i trust has indicated to me what to expect.

20. Dana-L

Dana-L Supporting Member

I've had a Soul-O Single for some time and it's a keeper.

Tube-swapping with it is a blast and its mammoth Mercury Magnetics trannies are impressive to behold.

My only suggestion for improvement would be to have the option lowering the plate voltages, perhaps by being able to use different tube rectifiers rather than just the inbuilt diodes.

Cheers,

-Dana