How many of you use an expression pedal w/delay?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by wyattt, Jan 27, 2012.

1. wyattt

wyattt Member

Im considering getting a rotary knob style expression pedal so that I can adjust the feedback time. I don't know if I would want to use it for any of the other options on the DMMTT. Anyone use one? What function do you like to control with it? The DMMTT has 4-5 options to control, but some of them like delay time, I just can't see needing to manipulate during a song.

2. tnt365

tnt365 Supporting Member

I'm trying to, but my BOSS FV500H didn't come with a TRS cable and I don't have one. So I have to wait till I go to GC.

3. mcdes

mcdes Member of no importance

i use one with my nova delay, on the feedback, is a winner....

tried it on the timeline, but it was more hassle than it was worth, due to the fact the timeline can have so many presets, you just program what want instead......

4. ringemaster

ringemaster Member

I use one with all of my delays. It usually is set to control the mix level.

5. avgjoe

avgjoe Member

I've started using one with most of my delays on my M9. Forward to increase the mix and decrease repeats for parts where I really wanna hear the delay. All the way back to lower the mix and increase repeats for more of an ambient/bigger sound.

6. Mr. Limbic

Mr. Limbic Member

Controlling mix on my el cap, its great

7. elguapo54

elguapo54 Member

Roland EV-5 exp pedal works great with my Eventides (Timefactor & Modfactor)

8. elguapo54

elguapo54 Member

Meant to mention that I primarily use the exp pedal to dial in the 'mix' of delay or modulation .....

9. durbanpoison

durbanpoison Member

Yes, I use one to control the number of repeats. It's awesome. You can run it to the self oscillation point, but still pull back before losing all control, or just use it to adjust the repeats on the fly for different songs (or parts of songs). I'm so accustomed to it now, that it's kind of hard for me to imagine not having that control at this point.

10. feralchild

feralchild Member

I use a TimeFactor with an M-Audio EX-P.

I most often use it to switch between 2 delay times (like 1/8 and 1/4T). On some patches I use it to sweep through a range of delay times so I can just pick the one I want without having to bend over.

I also use it on the feedback control for some patches.

11. meterman

meterman Member

I use the Moog EP2 on my El Capistan to control the Mix level, works like a champ although sometimes I do find myself working the pedal like a wah :D

12. Reckedtrek

Reckedtrek Member

Same here. I've done this since the early 90's with rack gear. Now that I've gone to pedals almost all of the time, the "pedal as delay level" habit has carried over. Between that and Tap tempo, life is good in delay/echo land!

13. xjojox

xjojox Tardis-dwelling wanker Gold Supporting Member

I typically use an expression pedal to do several things at once. A typical example is my basic high gain rhythm sound, which I morph into a lead patch.

I use the large Ernie Ball pedals, and I set them so "toe down" is neutral/baseline since it's so easy to accidentally step on one. Pedal down (flat) is the basic modded marshall crunch tone with just a bit of delay and verb. When I rock back on the pedal, I increase my gain and volume. At the same time I increase my delay time, feedback, and depth. I morph lots of rhythm patches to lead patches that way, and part of that process usually involves modifying delay parameters.

On some other patches I fade in modulation or change modulation speed or depth.

One of my favorite tricks is fading in crystals (pitch shifted delays) to create synth effects.

If i were to use a simpler amp setup rather than the axe fx I would probably still want to use tap tempo and use an expression pedal to fade in more delay

It's all good!