How many of you use the 4-way switch on a tele?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jonny toetags, Aug 18, 2008.

1. jonny toetags

jonny toetags Member

I was just wondering if it is worth it?
    I have a Thinskin coming in and was thinking about adding a 4-way but have never used/heard one.
    What exactly does it do? Just add extra output? How different is it from the usual "position 2"

2. RockStarNick

RockStarNick Supporting Member

To me, it's like the opposite of usual position 2. Instead of chimey, glassy and scooped in the mids, its BIG, loud, middy, flubby, farty, and fat.

(Pretty much all the qualities you try to avoid in a woman)

Some people claim to get P90 ish tones, but i dunno man... I've played tele's with a 4 way, and I could never get any decent tones out of it...

but that's just me...

3. PerfectStranger

PerfectStranger Member

[​IMG]

4. cpsdawg

cpsdawg Member

7-8 yrs ago i put one in my tele and its great. mine had the traditional rip your head off bright bridge PU and bassy muddy neck PU. i took those out and replaced with them with tx spl tele pups, new pots and new 4 way switch. great sounding tele. the 4 way uses both pups but makes it series or parallel (forgot which). basically is is like a split humbucker. louder and fatter (also qualities to avoid in women), but definately a nice addition to the sounds.

chris.

5. jonny toetags

jonny toetags Member

Cool.
    I guess, worse case, i can try it and if I don't like it I can just switch it back.
    How the install? I read you have to add a wire to the cover of the neck pickup right?

6. neil99

neil99 Member

Just installed one, you still get what you had before but one more setting, sofar sogood. Buzzes like a can of pissed off yellow jackets unless you ground the neck pu cover.

Go for it.

7. Soothsayer

Soothsayer (Paul) Supporting Member

I just bought a prewired assembly from Mojotone in reverse, hopefully I will have a chance to install it this coming weekend.

8. Cottage

Cottage Member

I have the 4 way on my 52 RI and I love it. So much so that I live on the parallel position. I don't find it muddy at all, more kind of funky and strat like. Doesn't hum any more than the other positions. What's not to like?

9. jonny toetags

jonny toetags Member

Cool.
    Looks like I'll give it a try.

10. tone4days

tone4days Member

i did the 4 way mod when i replaced the pots, cap, switch and jack in my 52ri clone ... i went with seymour duncan vintage stack for tele set .. all 4 positions are noiseless and the beefy 4th position is very cool for 'just a little more' during a solo ... never had a problenm with farty/sloppy/etc ... lotsa cool tones easily dialable between the volume and tone knobs ... highly recommend

t4d

Last edited: Aug 18, 2008
  11. RvChevron

RvChevron Member

Most 4 way switches in teles are wired for neck, bridge, both in parallel (tele stock mid position) and both in series (the new setting).

Louder, it's the loudest setting of the four. Louder than both neck or bridge alone, much louder than parallel.

Farty/muddy or not depends on the pickups. If the pickups are of lower output, less farty/middy.

Imagine a hot humbucker with the coils physically splited and one placed at the bridge, the other, neck.

12. jonny toetags

jonny toetags Member

I want to leave this tele stock (hopefully the stock pickups in the Thinskins are good) but if I can add a more humbucker-ish option to it with the 4way, that would be great.
    My '08 tele is the 'modern' one (RS kit with 500K pots, Duncan 59 etc..)

13. Jim S

Jim S Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

I had it on my Baja. It was fun and versatile.

I could live with or without it. I'm not without it.

14. guitarfish

guitarfish Member

I put one in a coupla Tele's - IMO it adds a humbucker-like tone.

15. bluegrif

bluegrif Member

I used it in my 52 RI for about 5 years (with Van Zandt vintage style pickups). Useful, sure. You don't lose anything. But still not what I wanted. About a year ago I installed a Fralin Steel Pole neck pickup and went back to the three way. This actually gives me much better variety. Problem with the four way was, I seldom used the vintage-style neck pickup alone. So I still only used three positions. And the loud, series position didn't get much action either. A better solution was just to go to a neck pickup that gave me what I wanted. Now I have three punchy, toneful settings rather than 2 out of 4.

16. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

I just got a prewired Tele control plate / harness off of ebay. But, I don't have screws/springs/neck pup route for the partscaster so now I'm just using it as a one pickup machine... I'll report back once I get the neck pickup hooked up.

17. 9fingers

9fingers Supporting Member

I have a 4 way with Suhr Fat T pups. The series combo (#4 on the switch) with a fair amount of drive makes for great slide tone! It is nice to have it there & I lose nothing- still have the traditional 3 settings.

18. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member

Extra tone option - what's not to like?

19. KRosser

KRosser Member

I installed one on my G&L ASAT Classic - like many others here, I like it and use it but I'd carry on just fine without it.

20. jpervin

jpervin Member

What guitarfish said.

Had a 4-way in a '50s Bigsby Tele w/Bill Lawrence Keystones. Sounded like the middle position with more mids.