How many of your own guitars have you bought back?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by NoahL, Feb 24, 2012.

1. NoahL

NoahL Member

Or bought the same kind of guitar again later? I figured this out today -- and I'm ashamed.

I've bought back:

A G&L ASAT Tribute that I made into a Bluesboy with Fralins that just didn't sound right. I needed to make peace with it. (But I traded it for a fabulous little Champ clone, and the great TGPer who bought it saved the axe's ass with a Gibson '57 in the neck, she says.)

A little Canvas plank guitar that I must have had 20 different pickups in -- why?

A funky poop-purple-sparkle bolt-neck Hamer doublecut that sounded surprisingly great with the mystery Japanese pickups in it, but I started modding it, made a hash of it, then sold it. Buying it back this weekend, after three years, with dreams of greatness.

Guitars I've owned more than one of, for no reason:

Three G&L ASATs (two of them Tribbys; current Trib excellent not quite the guitar the late-90s U.S. ASAT was).

Three Ibanez AM-73 inexpensive 339-sized guitars (they mod-up nice; my third and currently only one is awaiting a neck fix and new pups after I finish my taxes).

G&L S-500 Tributes (um, owned 3 over time, all were perfect and sounded identically good, just not a Strat guy. Actually, I'm mostly a crappy guitarist).

Super-cheap LP Junior clones -- yeah, a few: Memphis, Xaviere, no-name.

Mary Kay Tele partscasters (a couple -- the current one with Gibson P-90s in it is a keeper).

That's all I can think of for now. But it's kind of embarrassing already.

2. wilder

wilder Member

Too many....I prefer not to talk about it. It makes me feel obsessive.

3. Ches

Ches Supporting Member

Funny you mention this topic and G&L's in the same sentence. I've bought back two guitars, and both were ASAT's. In fact, one was sold back and forth between myself and a friend TWICE. The other went around the horn through three of us and back to me.

As for guitars of the same type . . . I don't even want to think about it. And while we're at it, let's not discuss amps, either!

4. doublescale1

doublescale1 FSR Tele Silver Supporting Member

I live on the east side of metropolitan Detroit
    Only one - a Gibson 335 - had a nice one - temporary insanity prompted me to sell it, and two years later I replaced it with another one - could not get along with out that kind of guitar - couldn't get that 335 tone out of my head

5. Phil M

Phil M Member

None, but I would buy my Oxblood Les Paul back if I could. Lots of nice guitars have come and gone but that is the only one that bums me out.

6. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Gold Supporting Member

I've never bought back the very guitar, but I have bought two guitars the exact model and color of one I had previously sold or traded. A Muddy Waters Tele and an R4.

And now I've traded both of those again--and I don't really sell that many guitars, I'm more like the Guitar Motel, they check in, but they don't check out. They were both, or I should say, all four were fine guitars, they were just somewhat redundant and I just didn't really need them given what else I have, even stretching the definition of "need." They just weren't getting played, and I wanted something else.

I guess there's a lesson in there somewhere!

7. franksguitar

franksguitar Member

I bought a 69 Kapa 500 a guitar I had as a kid off ebay. 3 years ago. I saw my Tom Anderson proto I consigned 10 years earlier and saw it on Craigslist in my same town and bought it back for 25% for what I paid for it custom made in 1988 and it's worth more than double for what I paid in 88' now!!

8. CowTipton

CowTipton Silver Supporting Member

None.
    That's like getting back together with an old girlfriend.

9. RockDC

RockDC Member

I have bought and sold the same tele 4 times.

[​IMG]

10. RockDC

RockDC Member

Which could be fun too:p

11. Kurt L

Kurt L Member

Only did it once - a really nice Heritage H-150 CM. Bought it in the 1990s, sold it in 2005. Bought it back in 2010, sold it again in 2011.
    [​IMG]

It was a great guitar. But after I sold it the second time I bought this one, which I like even better.
    [​IMG]

12. Dashface

Dashface Member

Certainly two different things, OP. If we're talking about buying multiples of the same model (as you mention in your post), well... I think we're all guilty of that. At this point I've had nine Les Pauls, six teles, about fourteen strats, etc.

If we're talking about buying back the same actual guitar, I've done that once: With an old Gibson Nighthawk. I actually bought it back three times, from three different people :D

13. Ches

Ches Supporting Member

We have a winner!

14. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

15. The Illustrated Bassist

The Illustrated Bassist Member

I can certainly understand selling guitars if you are either a) GASing and need cash for to cure the GAS b) are being chased with a large bowie knife by an angry SO that feels you have too damn many guitars cluttering up your crib or c) you're simply not playing an instrument at all and its time to part with it.

But, aside from buying a guitar back because of either a) or b) caused you to sell it in the first place (meaning you are either cash flush again, or you shoved the SO out the airlock), I think when you sell a guitar, you should wave bye bye to it. In fact, the more of them that I buy, and then sell, the less attached/regretful I feel about the sale. But maybe I'm freaky that way ;)

16. splatt

splatt david torn / splattercell Gold Supporting Member

2 guitars, both re-purchased between 1992 & 1994.

to be fair, my wife bought each of them back for me:

1) 1957 ES350-TDN w/paf's; my 2nd electric guitar,
    originally bought from richie ash when i was 15,
    and then sold to my then-manager, many yrs later, in order to pay some bills.
    the first guitar with which i wrote music, my main instrument for many yrs.
    home at last!

2) 1965 fender mustang with duosonic neck; my first electric guitar.
    this one is actually a lookalike/soundalike for my first-ever electric;
    it's a strange combination, so..... while not precisely the guitar i'd once sold, it is so, so close.....

17. Stringrazor

Stringrazor Member

:dunno Selling a guitar - hmmm, this is a concept I don't have a grasp of...

I don't buy often and have kept everything I've acquired over the last 35 or so years. The only guitar I owned that I no longer have was a no-name poc Strat copy that probably wasn't worth keeping anyway.

18. dsmc80

dsmc80 Member

Just one. A Sakashta guitar that I sold foolishly because I was offered a crazy price. Thankfully, the buyer was a friend who let me give him the money back a few months later in exchange for that guitar.

19. Carl_Tone

Carl_Tone Member

Traded this, new owner sold it too...got it back off of ebay.

Found out the hard way, that I should not sell my guitars.

[​IMG]
    Hamer Artist Custom w Coil Splitting

20. jp1977

jp1977 Member

I had acquired a great collection over the years, then I went through a terrible time in life financially and had to sell off everything to a guy dealer who buys collections and resells. I sold my white 84 lp custom and regretted it, so two years later I was looking on eBay and noticed it so I wrote the seller and got it back, it was in Wisconsin and had passedthrough several hands. I also sold a bunch of stuff to the dealer but I always look to try to find my old 81 lp deluxe flame top in tob burst and my 89 56 ri lp goldtop as they were irreplaceable to me. If anyone has them let me know.